Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Default Wifi Info Question

Ok so my netbook has been slow and acting up. I live in a highrise so realize there are others out there that possibly may be tapping into my wifi. I really need to change my very easy password. It doesn't sound easy to do though so am waiting for a friend to help me re that soon.

My question is, when I click on my "network sharing" on my netbook, I seem to see others on my "Infrastructure". Example: When I look at my infrastructure I do not just see my Linsys router, but others, especially one Belkin. I do not have a Belkin router. Is this something to be worried about? Or is it just showing people that just are nearby in my apt. complex who are online? I'd show a screenshot but it is a Word doc and not sure how to post it here as an example. Just want to make sure nobody is spying on my wifi or my PC, who managed to figure out my too easy password.

Any info would be appreciately greatly LOL, just to reduce my paranoia if nothing else.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Default Re: Wifi Info Question

I'm pretty sure that when other routers come up, it's just because they're also wireless ones in close proximity to you. Same thing happens with ours.
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Ladyzekke

Cool, thanks Wolf Rider2, makes me feel better!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 09-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

It's just other people near you. There's no need for you to worry. If their systems are unprotected it won't really affect you unless you find a way to use them, which I presume is not your intent.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

These other networks you see should also tell you whether the network is secured or unsecured. AAMOF your network should appear as an available network and it should be flagged as secure if you indeed have a password set up.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Wifi Info Question

The number one thing you can do to secure your home wireless network is to turn off the SSID broadcast so your network doesn't show up on quick scans of available networks in the area. I also recommend using a WPA2 password; you can write this password down and sticky-note it to your computer because the only way someone could get to it would be to break in to your place.

There are other things you can do--MAC address filtering or limiting the IP address range given out by your router--and these take very little effort but they aren't intuitive unless you browse through all your router's configuration screens.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:05 AM   #7
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

LZ, seen any "interesting" names amongst those other routers? It can be quite amusing what people call them
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Old thread here, LadyZ... basics of security without the details of how to do it

To fix that omission, open a web browser while connected physically to your router (ie with a wire) and go to the router's home page. For Linksys, the default is 192.168.1.1; Netgear is 192.168.0.1. Wander around the pages there and you can see the things you can change. If ever in doubt of whether or not you changed something, close your browser And if need be, you can hard-reset the router to factory defaults.

In addition to the three things I listed in that link (broadcast SID, password, MAC Filter), I'd also change the IP address range from 192.168.0/1. Use an oddball number... not one ending in a 5 or 0. If someone's trying to sneak in, they'll either use a full scanner (in which case number doesn't matter) or they'll try "obvious" combinations... .5, .10, .50, .100, etc.

Your goal should not be to make yours completely secure. Rather, you want to make it secure enough that they give up and try an easier target

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, or if you want to hook up on Skype, I can walk you through the steps. Doesn't take long.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:14 AM   #9
Ladyzekke

Hey Bungleau, may have fixed it, but not exactly sure. PM me your Skype ID (not just for help but I have so few on my Skype, I'd love to add anyone from here on there )

Reality Show Recaps
Old 09-18-2011, 02:17 AM   #10
Ladyzekke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Rider2 View Post
LZ, seen any "interesting" names amongst those other routers? It can be quite amusing what people call them
Oh yes I've seen a few amusing names. So far the most amusing one was "FBI Surveillance Van"

Reality Show Recaps