Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2002, 09:35 AM   #11
Moni

I started smoking for the head rush I got off of menthol cigarettes.
I was 13.
Later that summer I could not get my brand while my friends and I were at an amusement park so I bought brand of menthols that made me sick. Rather than quit then and there, I bought Marlboros (what all my friends smoked) and I've been smoking them ever since. One cigarette a day for a few years and slowly the addiction put me at the normal level of smokers...a pack a day.
Twenty-plus years of smoking cigarettes is not easy to give up overnight without the aid of gum, the patch, or some other crutch to bleed you out of one addiction and possibly into another. I've quit once, three years ago for 4 days...cold turkey...it was hard and miserable but I did it and it felt good at the time not to crave a cigarette.
On the fourth day KHaN brought home a pack of cigarettes and told me he wanted to start smoking again...had I gone longer without a smoke it might not have affected me but the smoke in the air just got to me and I did not hesitate to start up again.
Frankly, I do enjoy it. Other than drinking soda, it is my only addiction. There are much worse things I could be doing to myself as terrible as this one is. I've had relatives die of smoking related illnesses and I'll more than likely follow in their footsteps...27 years of smoking can do irrepairable damage. If I ever feel the need to, I suppose I can quit again but at this point I am just not ready to, nor do I want to.

My advise to anyone thinking of taking up the habit....DON'T.
For any of you younger people who do smoke but not that much...STOP NOW WHILE YOU ARE AHEAD!

LennonCook,
There is no excuse for throwing a lit cigarette out of the window of a vehicle...none whatsoever.

Old 07-16-2002, 01:09 PM   #12
MagiK

I have actually thought a lot about the addictive nature of things...it seems some people are more susceptable to becomming addicted...I tried smoking in my day and while in the service did more than my fair share of alcohol...but never saw why either activity was considered a good thing so just quit...never had a problem stopping..and of course once I had kids I had mondo reason to do neither.

I must also admit Im kind of a control freak...I do not like the idea that a drug or chemical would rob me of that control...or would control me.

[ 07-16-2002, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 07-16-2002, 01:35 PM   #13
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I don't smoke, it interferes with my sprinting capability.
I have never taken steroids, but I have seen the effects of what it does. brrr...
Old 07-16-2002, 02:44 PM   #14
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
I have never taken steroids, but I have seen the effects of what it does. brrr...
What ??? Grow boobs ?
Old 07-16-2002, 03:00 PM   #15
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
What ??? Grow boobs ? [/QUOTE] Too funny

Old 07-16-2002, 11:41 PM   #16
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I have actually thought a lot about the addictive nature of things...it seems some people are more susceptable to becomming addicted...I tried smoking in my day and while in the service did more than my fair share of alcohol...but never saw why either activity was considered a good thing so just quit...never had a problem stopping..and of course once I had kids I had mondo reason to do neither.

I must also admit Im kind of a control freak...I do not like the idea that a drug or chemical would rob me of that control...or would control me.
That's a good attitude to have. [img]smile.gif[/img]

When I said quitting smoking (cigarettes) was hard and miserable, it was the withdrawls from the physical addiction for three days that were the toughest part of the road...there is no psychological addiction to them (with me anyway) or I would have never been able to last that long, I am sure. When KHan started again and the smoke hit my lungs, it was unbelievable the way my body cried out for another so I gave in, I do like them..

Quitting drinking was a breeze on the physical side but the fact that it was forced on me (through a damaged kidney) was hard to take for many years...there are moods I'd get in where getting a bit buzzed on booze would be perfect for them. Not being able to drink could be depressing at times. I still get in those moods but after 16 years without drinking steadily, I hardly remember what it was like.

I've smoked pot and other drugs too and quitting them was easy~when I was ready, I never looked back (although smoking cocaine leaves you feeling like you've been run over by a semi for days) I can see why some people never quit.

[ 07-16-2002, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]