Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2001, 05:53 PM   #11
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Relic, you are more than welcome! And here, as promised (until you promise!) More sad faces...

------------------
Old 03-10-2001, 06:39 PM   #12
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Heh, there is a problem there for me as well LadyRae and Stealthy. I've mentioned in a couple of other threads that my comp is aging and falling apart like I am I can receive e-mail but I but I can longer send it. The only way I could present a tale would be to post it on a board.

LadyRae I know it takes time to post all those , you really don't have to do it. I do appreciate your sincerity

As an addenum LadyRae, I have never taken any classes about writing, so I am quite surprised to receive such a compliment regarding my ability.

[This message has been edited by The.Relic (edited 03-10-2001).]
Old 03-10-2001, 09:33 PM   #13
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Relic,
I meant every single word of it (and I'm not just being nice!) Mmmm, at least you're not saying no, no and NO anymore, are you? If you posted another story, one of us could copy it and send it to WOLFGIR for him to put on his site... (Did you go and check out Tobbin's story?) I'm going to post a story thread later on (it's past dinner-time in my neck of the woods and the natives are getting restless!)... Maybe you could post a new one there after I put it up??? No, I promised not to pressure you (so no more sad faces) but, even if you never post another one, I will always remember the one that maybe only you and I have read! Maybe I'll see you there? (Give me a couple hours ) TTYL, my friend!

------------------
Old 03-10-2001, 11:58 PM   #14
Draconia

AWWWWWW The.Relic, I missed your story?? Now I wish I was able to read it after everything LadyRae said. I am so sad that I missed it. I do hope you reconsider and post it again. I would love to read it. (Darn pain meds, I wish they didn't knock me out so maybe then I would of gotten to read this great story, darn!!!) Hugs and smooches The.Relic

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen

[This message has been edited by Draconia (edited 03-10-2001).]
Old 03-11-2001, 12:25 AM   #15
The.Relic
Red Dragon

LadyRae, since I have reservations about this I will compromise and repost the tale here in your thread since there are not many who know about it. This way it will be less likely to be read widely and risk being offensive to as many people. I will leave it to your discretion as to whom you recommend it to for reading. I usually have a pretty fair recollection of what I write, so it should still be fairly accurate plus having some embelishment.

Tale of a Dragonslayer....

It was dark, so very dark. Enormous billowing black clouds raged in massive titanic battles accross the heavens. Their deafening thunderclaps reverberating as if Faerun itself would erupt with violent earthquakes spewing molten slag accross the entire length and breadth of the realm. Tremendous bolts of shrieking lightining arced throughout the roiling black maelstrom, resplendent in their terrifying beauty and devestating potential. Their charged tendrils spreading out, coalescing, like the luminescent web of some malicious demigod come to drive all living things underneath the stars utterly mad. Torrents of freezing, biting rain mixed with hailstones the size of a slings bullet pummeled structures and flaying exposed flesh driving all things living to seek shelter and succor.
Baer'grog's children cowered, whimpering in their mothers embrace, as she cooed softly in an attempt to comfort and console them. But it was clear in her eyes by the pleading looks that she cast ih his direction as he finished barring the door of the small inn that was also their home, that Mirdram was afraid. Baer'grog peered out through a slit in a shuttered window just as a tremendous rumbling shook their haven. "Been twenty two years since I be seein a storm the likes a this", he muttered while rubbing his stubbly jaw. "Twenty two years since.......", an ice cold tremor shot up and down his spine, "No...Bloody BASTARD...not again"! Baer'grog nearly jumped out of his skin at the sound of loud persistent banging at the door.
"Who be ye"! He shouted, his voice tremulous, "Goway, tain't safe to be about'na night like this"!
"An old friend in need of assistance", came the strong, surprisingly clear reply. Could it be? Baer hadn't heard that voice in twenty two years, older now, aged and wizened, but the voice belonged to the same man. He rushed to the door and ushered in his old friend.
"Be it time again"? Baer'grog asked, a single eyebrow shot up.
The old man merely nodded.
"I'll be a gittin me things then". Baer responded, a big toothy grin split his face.

The only things allowing Ceer'Ghan to remain conscious were his anguish and the pain. Oh by Helm the pain, and the strengh of character and virtue, the pride of returning his glorious prize to his brethren at the Temple of the Radiant Heart. The huge hooked talon of that incredible beast had cleaved the breastplate of his +3 full plate armor of the Hart from sternum to side hinge as if it were nothing more than an old frail scroll. He had discarded the gauntlet of Ogre Power on his right hand to clutch the deep gaping wound in his left side in an attempt to staunch the flow of blood. But he could still feel his life seeping out between his fingers.
Ceer'Ghan could do nothing further on his own behalf because he had cast his last spell of curing serious wounds to save the lovely Savonia. Happy that he had been able to aid the beautiful enchanting maiden, Ceer'Ghan turned to see how she was doing but Savonia was nowhere to be seen, none of them were. He shouted to find out where they were, but the effort doubled him over in pain and he stumbled to one knee. Shaking his head to clear it, Ceer'Ghan realized that he was dilerious. His attempt to save sweet lovely Savonia had proven to be futile, and the eadearing young Summoner had perished. The globe of invulnerability that had protected her had compressed and then shattered in a cascading shower of glittering multicolored fragments. Ceer'Ghan threw his aching head back wailing despite his pain. Their eyes had met and Savonia had known... Her mezmorizing blue eyes were wide, pleading with him in that brief, final moment, pleading with him for help, for hope. But it was too late, her sensuous full lips parted as that relentlessly monstrous foreleg crashed down crushing her exquisite nubile form into an unrecognizable pulp. Gone... they were all gone....
Through sheer force of will Ceer'Ghan regained his feet, pressing on as freezing rain soaked him, and hailstones clattered and rcocheted off of his torn and battered armor. Malevolent black thunderheads resonated with a deep earth shattering fury that was more frightening than the sound of the most massive battlements and ramparts collapsing upon stone. The earth heaved and lurched beneath his feet as if some hideous starving leviathin were swimming beneath its surface, waiting to open its vile maw and swallow him whole. The bone searing explosions of crackling lightning caused his skin to crawl as if a thousand centipedes swarmed all over his flesh.
Finally loosing his footing, Ceer'Ghan staggered into the bole of a large tree.
"Tired...so tired". He mumbled as he slid down the dark wet bark with his back against its woven trunk. "Perhaps I should rest.. Just for a moment".
Head snapping upward, his helmet slammed against the bole with a clang. Had he slept.. a dream? "Savonia", the tormented cry rattled from his parched throat. "Why did I allow you to accompany me on this fools errand? Damn my code of virtue"! The tears spilling down his cheeks were indistinguishable from the freezing rain that pelted his face. "I should have... should have told you... that I love you"!
"Kriegar.. my friend.."! Ceer'Ghan whispered bowing hes head. He could still see his childhood friend hacking away mercilessly, the Rangers Berzerker rage was fully upon him. He could still see the look of disbelief in Kriegar's eyes as that huge tail with its dagger sharp triangular tip whipped around with blinding speed, slicing his body neatly in two at the waist. Ceer'Ghan sqeezed his eyes shut fiercely, trying to blot out the images of the lifeless stumps flopping to the ground in a spray of blood and gore. "I warned you to stay well clear of that tail you big dumb drunken mead swilling oaf".
"Ito, you idiot Rogue"! Oh how he would miss that flambouyant, comical thief. "How many times did my sweet Savonia tell you that you couldn't back stab that son of a bitch. No, you were too busy trying to find a way to bed her to pay attention". In his minds eye Ceer'Ghan watched as that massive horned head snaked around, and those powerful jaws snapped shut shaking Ito like a rag doll before hurling his mangled corpse across the cavernous hall. "You just had to play with your new toy, killed yourself with your Boneblade +4, damn you Ito"!
Blako the hulking half Orc had been decked out in Red Dragon Scale armor, Dragon Helm, the Dragon Scale shield +2 and was wielding the Dragonslayer. If any of them could have taken down that hideous freak of nature Ceer'Ghan would have bet his life savings it would have been Blako. "I thought you and Dre'von were going to make it". Blako had succeeded in shielding the kindly old Necromancer form a vicious fireball spell, but before Dre'von could finish conjuring his Death spell they were lifted up off of their feet. Ceer'Ghan could hear their bones snapping and splintering as the hurricane force winds of that horrendous wing buffet attack slammed their twisted bodies into the statues at the entrance to the cavern. Two more brave friends would rise no more.
Summoning his rapidly dwindling strength Ceer'Ghan withdrew his old friend the Vorpal Blade from its scabbard. He held it aloft with both hands, as the blood began to flow freely from his wound. "If it weren't for you, I would never have been able to strike a death blow". He declared in admiration as he gazed into its blood caked reflective surface. "He would have slain me as well"!
Placing his beloved two handed sword on the ground beside him, Ceer'Ghan hefted his prize.
"I killed you vile Demon of Darkness"! He bellowed. "You were no Dragon....."!
"No Dragon speaks with the voice of a man, with the power of the earth, and the wind.....And Fire...."!
"No Dragon wields such powerful magics...."!
"I killed you Firk....."! Ceer'Ghan's eyes glazed over, his head lolling against his breastplate. The Holy Avenger slipped from lifeless fingers clattering to the ground with a metallic ring as it crossed blades with the Silver Sword.
The violent storm subsided and only the rain remained as two shadowy figures emerged from the darkness. One was a heavy set man of medium height and the other was tall and clearly aged. He came forward moving with a stately elegant grace and stood gazing down at the fallen warrior as a father would admire a beloved son. "Your time has not yet come my friend". He began inscribing intricate symbols and patterns in the air as he spoke, "My friend Keldorn has much to teach you noble Paladin". And with that the aged robed figure began uttering incantations in several long forgotten archane languages and dialects. Many of the resonant tones and inflections were well beyond the range of normal human speech. The rain began to pop and sizzle as if dripped onto a hot skillet as it struck, but was unable to penetrate the shimmering sphere that enveloped Ceer'Ghan. Moments later the earie luminescent glow was gone, the ressurection spell complete. The wizened old wizard turned to his companion who had been waiting at a respectful distance. "Bring your cart please, collect his things and help me with him"!
"Yes my Lord". The stocky figure contritely replied. "But where'll we be a takin im"?
"Home Baer'grog". Elminster said. "We're taking Ceer'Ghan home"!

Old 03-11-2001, 01:21 AM   #16
Draconia

WOW, LadyRae was right. You shouldn't sell yourself short, The.Relic. You write very well. I hope you will continue this story. Don't worry about how your story is written, I read Stephen King and watch horror movies. So dark and sinister don't bother me. Hugs and smooches and I do hope you will continue writing this.

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen
Old 03-11-2001, 01:24 AM   #17
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Wow and WOW and WOW! You, my friend, are indeed a master and I thank you from my heart for re-writing it! I keep telling you you're awesome, now do you believe me??? Your throat didn't seem tight at all, your fingers not at all 'stumbley'! That story is absolutely fantastic! On a scale of 1 to 10, you my friend, get an 11!!!

Relic, I can't even tell you how much this means to me! My thanks again, kind sir!

------------------
Old 03-11-2001, 05:28 AM   #18
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Very well done. Well done indeed. I didn't think it was that dark. Or gruesome. Just well written. My only thought is would they know it was
+3 armor? Or a +4 dagger . . . just a thought . . .

BK
Old 03-11-2001, 05:29 AM   #19
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by The.Relic:
I used to love to write fantasy and sci fi. Part of the problem for me is that having aged and experienced many harsh and bitter realities, I can no longer write from the fanciful and preffered position that good always prevails...........I never considered myself as being a good or gifted writer, it just served as a way of expression as did my artwork.
That's why the story was so good.

------------------
FAIR DINKUM!
Old 03-11-2001, 10:17 AM   #20
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Great story!!! You have to finish it thought. Perhaps in Chapter form. Please keepit going if you can!!!!

------------------
Sir Taliesin

Ten Rings there are, and nine gold torcs on the battlechiefs of old...