Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-05-2001, 01:51 AM   #11
Tim Tam
Dungeon Master

Level 1: I agree with all

Level 2: Same

Level 3: We really do think alike

Level 4: I find spiders arent strong enough summons, and Emotion has no save modifiers even though its nice when it works. I prefer Wizard Eye to help guide my Projected Image, and Secret Word to avoid wasting higher level spells removing enemy Spell Shields and Immunities.

Level 5: I rarely need a Sunfire when I can position myself quite easilly to use a Skull Trap instead, so I chose Chaos for the large groups of critters Id rather have fighting each other while Im re-equipping the Staff of Magi and laughing. Id rather use Finger of Death than a Feeblemind so I chose to put Breach in to help out my summons just in case.

Level 6: With Chain Contingency later on normal Contingency is a waste, especially if Im not getting Dispel Magic, so Ill grab Chain Lightning to have a damage spell at this level.

Level 7: Same, but I get Project Image first, nothing like free spells and item charge usage.

Level 8: I have no need for Spell Trigger when I have Sequencer, I havent any level 5 or 6 spell picks that I want to cast together, cept lower resistance and chain lightning but I can live without fast casting them until I get Improved Alacrity. I took Pierce Shield to have another level of spell remover/resistance lowering seeing as I wont be getting spellstrike. I take Powerword Blind over Symbol Stun, smaller radius but it works similarly without saves or affecting my summons or myself. Simulacrum is another I chose, great to have another caster on a moments notice who may not have as high level spells as you, but can use your items without depleting charges.

Level 9: Apart from Time Stop I can do without any, but Ill take Chain Contingency. I find Wish only gives you the good stuff 1 in 4 times and I hate it, Ill make do with spell trap from staff and simulacrums/PI. I have plenty of spell removers so spellstrike is unneccesary, even though it is great to do it all at once just not at the expense of an extra Time Stop. My 2 other spell picks for this level are Imprisonment and Freedom. Tough enemy? Imprison him, then rest, set up some defense or skull traps and cast freedom.
Old 11-05-2001, 04:42 AM   #12
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I am going to try to respond to everybody in one post. [img]smile.gif[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by Kaleban:
If you're looking at high-level advancement, then as a Sorcerer it makes no sense to have Contingency or either of the Sequencers. Wait until you can get Spell Trigger and Chain Contingency, since you can only have 1 of each active at any time.

You can have one Minor Spell Sequencer, one Spell Sequencer, one Spell Trigger, one Contingency and one Chain Contingency, all active at the same time. You just cannot have two of the same type( no 2 Spell Triggers).

I still say don't pick Identify. Get Chromatic Orb, and once you reach level 12, it does unsaveable acid damage, which can replace Melf's as your Troll killer entirely.

Hmmmm, might be worth it, I think I will agree with this.

Oh yeah, I was looking at the anti-mage spells, does it make sense to get Spellstrike when you have Khelben's AND Ruby Ray? There are only two protection spells of 9th level, Absolute Immunity and Spell Trap. Ruby Ray works on spell trap, Absolute Immunity lasts only four rounds and won't matter much to a solo Sorcerer, and Khelben's Warding Whip takes care of everything else! So really, the only spells you will need to defeat buffing or attack spellcasters number 3 in total: Breach, Khelben's, and Ruby Ray.

Strange as it may sound, I do not use Khelben's Warding Whip( KWW) to remove spells, I use it to disrupt the target's spellcasting. I use Ruby Ray of Reversals to remove Spell Traps and Spellstrike for everything else, especially Spell Turning, a level 7 spell protection which KWW will not remove.

quote:
Originally posted by Mitro Jellywadder:
After 12th level it turns from a phase spider to a sword spider. A lot faster but still pretty
ineffective. Try polymorph other, unless you don't have many summoning spells. You might need the spiders for distractions.

I will be using the Spider Spawn + Web combo in fights against swarms of low-middle class enemies. Obviously they make a poor summon against things like *cough*Demogorgan*cough* but believe it or not, they can hold their own very well against tough creatures like Umber Hulks, the key to their effectiveness is the spell Web.

I'd change your identify to protection from evil,
instead of chromatic orb. More useful in my opinion.

Staff of Magi gives Protection from Evil already, making the need to have this spell redundant.

quote:
Originally posted by Barloc:
Cone of Cold destroys loot?

Yes, to understand why, imagine a sword dipped in Liquid Nitrogen, imagine that same sword dropped to the floor. That is what happens to your loot more or less, only gold and quest-related items will survive.

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Tam:
Level 1: I agree with all
Level 2: Same
Level 3: We really do think alike

Heh, heh.

Level 4: I find spiders arent strong enough summons, and Emotion has no save modifiers even though its nice when it works. I prefer Wizard Eye to help guide my Projected Image, and Secret Word to avoid wasting higher level spells removing enemy Spell Shields and Immunities.

Globe of Invulnerability renders Secret Word useless, and if you are going to use a higher counter-spell anyway to remove the GoI, it defeats the purpose of having Secret Word.

I was thinking long-term, and this includes having the Staff of Magi which grants Improved Invisibility, thus negating the need for Wizard Eye.

Emotion is very very potent, especially when combined with Greater Malison( think Spell Sequencers). I was still using this spell towards the end of ToB.

Level 5: I rarely need a Sunfire when I can position myself quite easily to use a Skull Trap instead, so I chose Chaos for the large groups of critters Id rather have fighting each other while Im re-equipping the Staff of Magi and laughing. Id rather use Finger of Death than a Feeblemind so I chose to put Breach in to help out my summons just in case.

I was thinking something similiar, I am invisible( Staff of Magi), and I walk into the middle of a group of unsuspecting victims, I cast Spell Trigger( 3 Sunfires) and toast them. Skull Trap can hurt you, Sunfire does not.

Finger of Death is a great spell, I agree, but I like to have Feeblemind too, because so long as the target fails his saving throw, he is deadmeat.

You only tend to use Breach against Mages, and I have the ultimate Mage killer already, Skeleton Warriors( 95% Magic Resistance), I can afford to wait for the spell protections to run out.

Level 6: With Chain Contingency later on normal Contingency is a waste, especially if Im not getting Dispel Magic, so Ill grab Chain Lightning to have a damage spell at this level.

In all my games, I have used both Contingency and Chain Contingency. I use my Contingency as a protection backup( Mislead when helpless, Protection from Magical Weapons when enemy sighted, etc...), and my Chain Contingency as an offensive spell( 3 Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting).

Level 7: Same, but I get Project Image first, nothing like free spells and item charge usage.

Worth considering.

Level 8: I have no need for Spell Trigger when I have Sequencer, I havent any level 5 or 6 spell picks that I want to cast together, cept lower resistance and chain lightning but I can live without fast casting them until I get Improved Alacrity. I took Pierce Shield to have another level of spell remover/resistance lowering seeing as I wont be getting spellstrike. I take Powerword Blind over Symbol Stun, smaller radius but it works similarly without saves or affecting my summons or myself. Simulacrum is another I chose, great to have another caster on a moments notice who may not have as high level spells as you, but can use your items without depleting charges.

It is not about casting time, it is about having more spells to hurl at your opponents. With Spell Trigger, you have 3 more spells, leaving your spell levels alone.

I am using Symbol Stun as a trap, Thieves lay traps at spawning spots? I lay Symbols galore and Webs to boot, then sic the Spiders and Magic Resistant Skeleton Warriors on them when the enemy spawn.

BwerWahHAHAHAHA!!!!

*cough* *cough*... excuse me.

Project Image is enough for me to forgo Simulacrum.

I do not use wands or Staff of Fire.

Level 9: Apart from Time Stop I can do without any, but Ill take Chain Contingency. I find Wish only gives you the good stuff 1 in 4 times and I hate it, Ill make do with spell trap from staff and simulacrums/PI. I have plenty of spell removers so spellstrike is unneccesary, even though it is great to do it all at once just not at the expense of an extra Time Stop. My 2 other spell picks for this level are Imprisonment and Freedom. Tough enemy? Imprison him, then rest, set up some defense or skull traps and cast freedom.

Remember that you cannot rest during the last battle in ToB, Wish is a must if you want to solo with a Sorcerer and complete the game.

Freedom?? I rather buy the scrolls instead, and they are cheap to boot, besides... why do you want to rescue those that you Imprisoned? If the target has loot you want, best is to not Imprison him in the first place. I only intend to use Imprisonment on one particular Demon Prince... and I will be using a scroll for that.

Old 11-05-2001, 11:27 AM   #13
Tim Tam
Dungeon Master

I could have sworn sequencers and contingencies used to only let you have 1 each, regardless of the type. I checked it out though and Dundee is right, I dont know whether it is because of ToB or a patch along the way, or maybe my memory playing tricks on me. This of course changes everything. Ill have to take every sequencer now, but Im still not taking Contingency.

I thought GoI only stopped damage spells, if it prevents Secret Word as well then Ill have to remove it from my picks and waste another spell remover to rid enemy mages Spell Shields. Emotion can have a go instead.

I dont use Wizard Eye for a scout so much as to allow me to see what my Projected Image is doing as I cant move when I cast that. It's pretty good cannon fodder too.

I forgot all about Prot from Magic Energy before, it lets me cast my skull traps right on top of myself without fear of damage and has a nice duration too. Still no need for Sunfire. Ill get ProtME over Mislead, which is useless when you have Staff of Magi, unless you cheese it.

It just doesnt feel right to play without Breach [img]smile.gif[/img] I prefer my skellies to be able to hit mages, dragons and liches without waiting 4 rounds or more while being beat down.

Im getting Spellstrike now, so no need for Pierce Shield. Im taking your advice re the spell Wish, but it had better give me good options when I need them.

I use the Freedom and Imprisonment combo in a party. Its quite useful to be able to ignore the strongest enemy until everyone else has been taken care of and you can then rest or prepare properly. Many tough critters arent so tough when you can fight them solo on your terms.
Old 11-05-2001, 12:04 PM   #14
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Tam:
I could have sworn sequencers and contingencies used to only let you have 1 each, regardless of the type. I checked it out though and Dundee is right, I dont know whether it is because of ToB or a patch along the way, or maybe my memory playing tricks on me. This of course changes everything. Ill have to take every sequencer now, but Im still not taking Contingency.

It has been that way since the beginning, I should know, since my very first character was a Sorcerer, not to mention I had other Mages in my party.

I thought GoI only stopped damage spells, if it prevents Secret Word as well then Ill have to remove it from my picks and waste another spell remover to rid enemy mages Spell Shields. Emotion can have a go instead.

GoI stops all level 1-4 spells from touching the Mage( provided they are directed at the Mage, area of effect spells can still affect the Mage), Breach can get rid of Spell Shields by the way, I am going to use Khelben's Warding Whip.

I dont use Wizard Eye for a scout so much as to allow me to see what my Projected Image is doing as I cant move when I cast that. It's pretty good cannon fodder too.

Why not send in your invisible Sorcerer, then cast Project Image, then get the PI double to cast Mislead? All three of you will be invisible.

I forgot all about Prot from Magic Energy before, it lets me cast my skull traps right on top of myself without fear of damage and has a nice duration too. Still no need for Sunfire. Ill get ProtME over Mislead, which is useless when you have Staff of Magi, unless you cheese it.

You can have undispellable invisibility if you, as you say, cheese Mislead. PfME is a great spell, but Cloak of Mirroring will protect you from all spells directed at you( except your own traps of course). I intend to use Skull Trap as a... well... trap.

It just doesnt feel right to play without Breach [img]smile.gif[/img] I prefer my skellies to be able to hit mages, dragons and liches without waiting 4 rounds or more while being beat down.

4 rounds ain't thatttt long.

Im getting Spellstrike now, so no need for Pierce Shield. Im taking your advice re the spell Wish, but it had better give me good options when I need them.

Chances are, you will need to reload often. Stock up on Potions of Insight unless you have 18 WIS already. Given a choice, I would not choose Wish either, but the last battle in ToB gives no choice but for you to take this spell. One of the reasons why I think they should have done it differently.

I use the Freedom and Imprisonment combo in a party. Its quite useful to be able to ignore the strongest enemy until everyone else has been taken care of and you can then rest or prepare properly. Many tough critters arent so tough when you can fight them solo on your terms.

Why not just Time Stop + Improved Alacrity and exterminate everybody? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Only two bosses in the whole game are immuned to Time Stop.

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]

Old 11-05-2001, 10:01 PM   #15
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

While we're on the subject of solo sorcerers. What is a good level to take the stronghold? I've
never tried soloing (and actually made it to chapter 3 ) before. I've taken out the two inn brawls, Temple of Talos, and a couple of small quests. I'm 12th level now.
Old 11-06-2001, 03:14 AM   #16
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I would recommend level 15, so that you will have Skeleton Warriors. They are immuned to the Halfling's normal weaponary and do well against Demons.

Not to mention they eat Mages for snacks. Just remember to re-summon when they get hit by Death Spell.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:14 AM   #17
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Thanks Dundee. I was kinda thinking on the same lines, but I wasn't sure how hard it would be right now. This soloing isn't too hard. I think it's actually easier, just for the fact you don't have to worry about losing anyone. You can focus on yourself and smashing the bad guys.

The fight in the sewers was pathetically easy solo. (As was Nalia's keep.)