Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-30-2001, 11:11 AM   #1
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

I seem to remember you mentioning (before the disasterous shutdown occured) that you had started playing Wizards & Warriors. Can you give me your take on it? I figure that you might give me a more unbiased take than a die-hard player on the W&W board might...

One thing that I'm very interested in is that I've heard the interface is atrocious. Is that the case? I'm afraid that would drive me crazy if true...

Thanks for any insights!

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 04-30-2001, 11:25 AM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Throntar:
I seem to remember you mentioning (before the disasterous shutdown occured) that you had started playing Wizards & Warriors. Can you give me your take on it? I figure that you might give me a more unbiased take than a die-hard player on the W&W board might...

One thing that I'm very interested in is that I've heard the interface is atrocious. Is that the case? I'm afraid that would drive me crazy if true...

Thanks for any insights!

Hi Throntar!

BK and LoA got me started too..go to the W &W forum, we all have posts there about it and I just posted about my perceptions of it after a few hours of play (frustrating but not hopless!)

Cloudbringer

PS..the interface is HORRIBLE...but..I'm going to persevere..story and terrain look good

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 04-30-2001).]
Old 04-30-2001, 11:53 AM   #3
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Who me? Lurking? Hmph. =) Anyways, here is my offical endorsement of the game.

If you have played Might and Magic and liked it, you will LOVE this game. If you grew up on BG and IWD, it will take some adjustments.

The interface can be awkward at best at times. You are first person with up to 6 people in your 'party' working threw those one set of eyes. Talking with NPCs takes time, too. The quests/ascention roles need to have better xplanations in the manual, too. I would have picked slightly different traits to up if I would have known.

I had a lot of early difficulty, mostly due to the new gaming engine. Got so used to BG's type stuff. W&W isn't turn based, but it can be changed from real time to a version of turn based. Keeps the slower thinkers from being overwhelmed, I think. And the movement does take a little getting used to. You are doing a lot of pushing of keys. I suggest you edit the movement keys to something you are used to (ie the pause button the space bar) Nothing like hitting the wrong button and getting toasted because of it.

The puzzles are tricky, but not impossible. The opening dungeon can be a pain trying to get those first couple levels up. I did a lot of saving. A LOT of saving. But it does get better. I have completed the opening dungeon (mostly) and done some exploring of the world. The dungeons are very involved. Get used to having that map working while you are moving, too. The fighting is different, but you get used to it. Still can set off a fireball too near your party (I saw that smile, mister) and other spells can still affect you. There is an option to make your spells not hurt you, but where would the fun be in that?

I like the promotion thing, personally. Start out with a basic area of expertise and grow from there. The quests are different, and a pain to sometimes get credit for, but you work it out eventually.

Over all, I think this game will be worthwile for playing. It takes you a while to get used to the gaming, and will it replace BGII, HOW, IWD, BG etc for me as my favorite game type? Probably not. But you never know. Take it on for it's own merits. If nothing else, it is a good way to wait out the time til the expansion gets released.

It is early in the game (only about 10% of the way done, from what I can tell) I give it 8 out of 10 stars. Good, albeit predictable, plot line so far and an almost overwhelming combos of pcs make this fun and enjoyable. The interface with npcs and some of the bugs are some of the only negatives I've found so far.

BK

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner
Old 04-30-2001, 12:02 PM   #4
Donut
Jack Burton

Nice sig Throntar - I'm over here

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Heading for Cardiff
Old 04-30-2001, 12:08 PM   #5
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

Nice sig Throntar - I'm over here
Ahhh...donut...*whistles* Heeeeeere little donut!

Thanks goodness you didn't say what I thought you would. "...I'm over here...eat me".

------------------

Old 04-30-2001, 12:09 PM   #6
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Thanks BK!

Good synopsis... I may very well check it out after I play through BG2 again with an evil character (quite a switch from my Inquisitor that I just finished the game with).

I wasn't aware that you had been posting reviews on the W&W forum (per CB) or I wouldn't have bothered you here. Thanks again!

------------------

Old 04-30-2001, 12:17 PM   #7
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

No bother, friend. I've posted quite a few questions and expressed my concerns over some tech problems I've experienced. They are great for helping over there. About what you would expect from this place.

BK

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner