Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-30-2001, 12:47 PM   #41
Melusine
Dracolisk

you are so right!
I mean that you know.... esp. after seeing the way people treat eachother on other Forums, I couldn't agree with you more. It's the only way to keep this Board up to its reputation as friendliest and most mature board of all.

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the OHF and the LH

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 04-30-2001, 01:17 PM   #42
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by RudeDawg:
I have found other articles claiming that we, the dwellers in the ether, have developed a new language, using icons (smilies) and phonetic spellings (cool, khool, kewl)
I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took me to figure out LOL, BTW, IMHO, and all of those others. I was "netspeak" illiterate. I'm not fluent by anymeans. Give me a few thousand posts (like Cloudy) and I might get there.

------------------
Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Old 04-30-2001, 02:05 PM   #43
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Father Bronze:
I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took me to figure out LOL, BTW, IMHO, and all of those others. I was "netspeak" illiterate. I'm not fluent by anymeans. Give me a few thousand posts (like Cloudy) and I might get there.

Snicker! I got my training on USENET...*shudder* Flaming is an interesting way to pick up things...and in those days I was happy to fight trolls and flamers on my newsgroups..ROTFL, BTW IMNHO, thuh things I learned were Kewl, ..brb..hehehe

Cloudy

Old 04-30-2001, 02:24 PM   #44
Moiraine
Anubis

Actually, English not being my native language, I find it funny to read now and again an expression that I don't know (like 'red herring' ), and trying to guess what it means by the context (much more fun than with a dictionary ! ). Especially as English expressions sometimes conjure bizarre images in my French mind (the 'red herring' gave me a good laugh, as a picture of the guy who said it with a red herring head popped in my poor head ! ).

Some Internet expressions also had me wonder - LMAO, I knew, but what the hell could be ROTFLMAO ???

Sometimes however, I can only look stupid, 'give my tongue to the cat' as the French expression goes, and ask ...

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 04-30-2001, 02:45 PM   #45
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, I am a polyglot. My language teachers always said it was a good sign if you start dreaming in another language. I guess that it has really gotten down into your subconcious. I remember being so thrilled the first time I dreamed in another lanuage. I think Sir T maybe said the thing about translating back and forth. You have to get beyond that, you have to start actually thinking in the language. What frustrates me sometimes is that I can think of a word in two or three languages, but not the one I'm needing at the time. It was interesting what Rudi said about counting and doing numbers still in Spanish. Most people no matter how fluent still think of numbers in their first language regardless. I find that very interesting.

------------------
Reeka--The Hand of Death O_H_F
Lady in Waiting (found what I was waiting for)
Official Party Planner and Events Coordinator of the Moon's Hope Inn
Proud Member of the Ladies Guild
GMDLM

Old 04-30-2001, 02:48 PM   #46
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:

Most people no matter how fluent still think of numbers in their first language regardless. I find that very interesting.
LOL ! Talk about that, eh, Deux-cent-cinquante !

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 04-30-2001, 02:57 PM   #47
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
ancay nyoneyay eakspay ackslangbay?
Hatway uoyay reaay allingcay ackslangbay iay avehay eardhay alledcay igpay atinlay.

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 04-30-2001, 02:58 PM   #48
Sir_Tainly

Hi All,

the mighty Sir T is back,

Just about thinking about numbers, I once knew a guy who thought about numbers in a way that crosses internationally boundaries and should be appropriate for us RPGers. He always thought of numbers as spots on dice. Don't know what he di for big numbers though.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 04-30-2001, 03:15 PM   #49
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeka:
It was interesting what Rudi said about counting and doing numbers still in Spanish. Most people no matter how fluent still think of numbers in their first language regardless. I find that very interesting.

Yes, Reeka.

But English is my first language. I just feel more comfortable with the Spanish language cuz it's what my folks spoke to me when we were relaxed. I feel comfortable speaking both languages, and understand several other Latin-based ones, but numbers, for some reason, always are in Spanish.

One last note: My friends laugh at the way I switch between English and Spanish. While talking to a mixed group, I slide back and forth between the two. Sometimes at the wrong time

Now ACCENTS. That's a topic. Does anyone else adopt the accent of the person they are speaking to? I do it, without thinking, in a matter of minutes.
weird.
I need more coffe.

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
Old 04-30-2001, 03:19 PM   #50
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
Hi All,

the mighty Sir T is back,

Just about thinking about numbers, I once knew a guy who thought about numbers in a way that crosses internationally boundaries and should be appropriate for us RPGers. He always thought of numbers as spots on dice. Don't know what he di for big numbers though.

BIG DICE !!!
I used to have a 100 sided one. Looked liked a globe, but had ball-bearings inside to make it stop.

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes