Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 11-29-2004, 02:41 PM   #1
dragon2005
The Magister

1.what is so great in an assassin.
i have one and there is not a thing special about him.

2. i dont like that my warriors ( paladin and a samurai) can cast spells.
they learnd it really fast and they are in the last skill level in this magic(spirt and fire).

3. my monk( prist) can't learn any vine spells.

4. my bard( wizard) can't learn moon spell level 7 so a heve to change him to a warlock and then again to a bard.

5.my assassin know the finds spells and the moon spells but i don't use them from a principle- warrior is a good fighter and not half fighter half mage.

6.and what is soooooooooooo good in been a zen mastre that evrey single w& w player talks about it. you can be him only after cet pyramid so it is in the end of the game( i think- did not got there yet).

i like there new rolls but it is not that fun any more when my paladin can heal him self .
dragon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:11 PM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

@1: There are some items of clothing in the game that only an assassin can wear. Other than that it is just a role. With this kind of game soon all characters will share many of the same abilities. It is then up to one self to use them for different kinds of jobs if one so wishes. I would also have preferred if one could leave a couple of the characters behind in the wilderness and then sneak up and perform a special task with just one or two specialized characters. As it is one can only leave characters behind at the inn, so it requires sneaking back to town every time.

@2: You can always choose not to use them.

@3: Vine magic is not native to a monk. Check your manual for native spells. Only priests, rangers, warlocks, and zenmasters have vine as a native realm.

@4: Are you absolutely certain? Bards have moon magic as a native realm, and should be able to learn level 7 spells provided you have level 7 moon SKILL or higher. Check your skill list. It is NOT possible to chance to a role and THEN back to a previous role. Once your bard leaves the bard role he or she can never return to being a bard in this game (although he or she will still keep the skills learned as a bard). Only once the adventure is reset at the end of the game will your character be able to return to the bard role.

@6: The valkyrie and zenmaster roles were definitely made to give people a good reson to play the game all over again.

[ 11-29-2004, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 11-29-2004, 06:18 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by dragon2005:
1.what is so great in an assassin.
i have one and there is not a thing special about him.

2. i dont like that my warriors ( paladin and a samurai) can cast spells.
they learnd it really fast and they are in the last skill level in this magic(spirt and fire).

3. my monk( prist) can't learn any vine spells.

4. my bard( wizard) can't learn moon spell level 7 so a heve to change him to a warlock and then again to a bard.

5.my assassin know the finds spells and the moon spells but i don't use them from a principle- warrior is a good fighter and not half fighter half mage.

6.and what is soooooooooooo good in been a zen mastre that evrey single w& w player talks about it. you can be him only after cet pyramid so it is in the end of the game( i think- did not got there yet).

i like there new rolls but it is not that fun any more when my paladin can heal him self .
1) Assassins are very deadly - but if you've been developing your characters well you may not see a significant difference.

2)That Paladins and Samurai can cast spells is what makes them different from just fighters. If you don't like them casting spells - don't have them cast spells.

3)Monks learn Spirit spells - not Vine spells. Since you have changed class from a Priest to a Monk - your Monk will have to gain many levels before you can again learn any Vine spells and, depending on when you changed class - you may not be able to learn them all. (there are threads about this topic)

4) Your Bard should be able to learn Moon spells - maybe he isn't a high enough level to learn them yet? You could change your Bard to a Warlock but you can't change him back into a Bard - you can only be a class once within one game. If you use the same characters and start a new game - they can change to any of the classes.

5) Personally I had no problem with Assassins being able to cast spells - just a different type of weapon.

6) True, you cannot become a Zen Master until near the very end of the game but it's worth replaying the game with a Zen Master - well I found it fun and so have many other players. I'm sure that the classes of Zen Master and Valkyrie were not intended originally to be available so very late in the game. I think that was the result of the game being rushed to market. W&W is one of the few games that I have found worth replaying. W&W is not overly large/long as some other CRPGs have been and I found new things when I did replay.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:21 PM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

bsftcs - hehehe my reply might have been posted at the same time as your's had I not been side tracked by a plumbing problem in the house!
Old 11-29-2004, 06:28 PM   #5
Rusty Shackleford
Dungeon Master

i agree with dragon that it kinda sucks that all your characters end up being half fighter half wizard, in my opinion it would have been a good idea if there were some special classes that depends on the class your character had at the start that would kinda stick to the character so that at the end of the game you dont have a posse of half fighters half wizards
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 07:05 PM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Shackleford:
i agree with dragon that it kinda sucks that all your characters end up being half fighter half wizard, in my opinion it would have been a good idea if there were some special classes that depends on the class your character had at the start that would kinda stick to the character so that at the end of the game you dont have a posse of half fighters half wizards
That's easy - don't change class - you don't need to change class and the only reason to do so is to gain the abilities the other classes have. I had some characters that I always set to just use weapons and others that did magic so it never really mattered what classes they were.

Wyv
Old 11-29-2004, 10:39 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hee hee hee... it all hinges on the definition, doesn't it?

Paladins (from my old AD&D memories) were a combination cleric/fighter; hence their spirit spell-casting ability. Rangers... they're fighter/druids. Part of being that class involves the class's abilities. So them having spell-casting abilities certainly isn't outside the norm.

But if you want a pure fighter , your choice is Warrior to Barbarian. No spells involved there, to be sure [img]smile.gif[/img]

Might & Magic 10 had that kind of class structure. Warriors had a specific class path, as did mages. It doesn't make it better or worse... just different. Hmmm... thinking back, all the MM episodes had unique class progressions, AFAICR.

You could always play a non-magic game. When I played the Den of Thieves, it was extremely difficult until I got an assassin and some fiend magic. Then life was better.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

One of the best things about this game is that there are no wrong ways to play -- if you don't like something, you can just skip, ignore, or not use it.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 11:19 PM   #8
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

I've seriously come to like the solo Rogue game -- no changing roles, only one guild (and not until Ishad N'ha at that), no magic, and hitpoints suck. However ...

... I've found that a Rogue can train some pretty badass things at higher levels at the Thieves Guild:
  • Backstab
  • Cloak of Night
  • Trickery
  • Sneak
  • Stealth
  • Artifacts
The first two traits, along with a decent Stealth skill, will turn your kid into as good a fighter as you've ever had. No need to go Ninja or Assassin -- I tend to agree with dragon & Rusty in that an Assassin should not be able to Teleport himself or channel iceballs or spooky weird ravens ...
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 11:58 PM   #9
Rusty Shackleford
Dungeon Master

i already dont change classes for the exact reason. i wouldnt mind switching to barbarian or warlock but i dont want one or two of my characters to start at level 1 while the others are at level 15 because they would get too powerfull and then id like them more than my rogue or priest. i like it with no class changes because everyone stay in their characters and are equaly good (though rogues are bit shitty at start) id still like to have more variety (i know i could just change classes but i realy realy hate mixing two classes together, its just not right.)
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 07:45 AM   #10
dragon2005
The Magister

my assassin is in the 7 level unloken traps, and there is not one trap tjat was hard i wonder if there will be one.
and why some tims i get xp from unloking traps but most of the time i'm not geating any thing.
dragon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote