Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-22-2002, 10:18 AM   #1
Epona
Zartan

Well who likes art? What type of art do you like? Any favourite artists? Whys and wherefores please! Time for a serious discussion on this one. I am thinking visual media, but input on anything would be welcomed.

If you don't like art, or don't find it inspiring, I would be interested to hear your views.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:25 AM   #2
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

hey 'pona im into my art somewhat and i my favourite artist would probably be geiger or dali their work is both vey surreal but almost always have theme which is a great combination. One thing i hate is pretentious art - modern art in the main sucks ass! damien hurst is severly overrated, for me his only redeeming feature is the fact that he is aware of this. > the toilet paper for £10000?!?!?! etc i could go on for days but im sure yu get the jist whos yur favourite?
Old 06-22-2002, 10:28 AM   #3
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

If you mean 'art' as in visual creations then no, I don't find them perticularly inspiring or pleasing - though I can still appreciate it for it's asthetic value.

If you mean 'art' as in Literature or Drama, then yes, I'm a big believer in them, and enjoy them immensely.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:31 AM   #4
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

me too man i think epona was referring to all kinds of art

*** just found out i got an A in my higher drama acting piece you guys seen waiting for godot - beckett***
Old 06-22-2002, 10:33 AM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Madman, I love Dalì as well! Giger a bit less, not one of my favourites. But Dali is amazing [img]smile.gif[/img]
If we're talking visual arts strictly, I like all kinds of things, but don't know a lot about it (and there's so much to know!). I'm a big fan of Pre-Raphaelite painting, like M.C. Escher alot, but also older painters like Breughel and Rembrandt. I'm also REALLY into calligraphy... the Lindisfarne Gospel is my favourite example of this, though I like modern calligraphy a LOT as well (Ieuan Rees, Harry Meadows, Dave Wood, etc etc). And of course William Morris's calligraphies, wallpapers and the Kelmscott Press art. Another artist from this period that I admire very much is Aubrey Beardsley, he's one of my favourite artists.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:34 AM   #6
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Madman-Rogovich:

*** just found out i got an A in my higher drama acting piece you guys seen waiting for godot - beckett***
Oh, I wish! I've read it, and I think it's absolutely amazing, but unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to see it yet.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:45 AM   #7
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

[quote]Originally posted by Melusine:
Quote:
read it, and I think it's absolutely amazing, but unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to see it yet.
i really enjoyed it i played Vladimir and my drummer played Estragon our extract was like almost the whole of the first act [img]smile.gif[/img] i think its really funny how so many read so much into the play when really its abut absolutly nothing!!

yea dali rules despite his being a complete nutbar and i love Eschers work its so different kinda makes my headhurt tho [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2002, 10:47 AM   #8
Lord Shield

I'm quite partial to the Escher material.

I have a couple of posters at home that I liked but they don't have artists names - sort of cross between surreality and Isaac Aasimov

Old 06-22-2002, 10:48 AM   #9
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Madman-Rogovich:
hey 'pona im into my art somewhat and i my favourite artist would probably be geiger or dali their work is both vey surreal but almost always have theme which is a great combination. One thing i hate is pretentious art - modern art in the main sucks ass! damien hurst is severly overrated, for me his only redeeming feature is the fact that he is aware of this. > the toilet paper for £10000?!?!?! etc i could go on for days but im sure yu get the jist whos yur favourite?
Mmmm, I am taking it that you mean modern as in current, rather than Modern as in Modernist?
I'm not a fan of Hirst personally.

My favourite types of visual art include Pre-Raphaelite, Impressionist, Surrealist and Dadaist.

And yes, please talk about any art you wish! Not restricted to visual here, poetry and literature discussion is welcome.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:53 AM   #10
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

no i mean as in Tate modern * spits on floor * [img]smile.gif[/img]