Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2001, 08:44 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I went on vacation. (Everybody always gets a huge sendoff and welcome home from Ironworks when they go on vacation, and I missed mine!) Oh well...

I went to Galveston during last week (August 1-4). It was the first vacation I've had since I've recovered from gallstones (since 1999, actually). I had forgotten how important it is to get away from everything.

It was incredibly peaceful and beautiful. Everyone there was so friendly...Galveston really is a wonderful little city. My wife and I spent an entire day at the beach. I got sunburned, and didn't care a bit! (That's what lotions are for, anyway.)

I had a neat insight while I was in the ocean. I looked up and saw a helicopter flying over the ocean, giving tourists a birds-eye view of the coastline. I looked up and waved, and thought about how I would appear to the passengers from way up there. I realized, humorously, that I would probably be little more than a speck in that blue water.

Now, I could have chosen to get really gloomy and existential about this, being a pathetic little speck awash in a vast ocean, my life meaningless, blah, blah, blah...the kind of stuff that poets and philosophers spew. However, I looked around me and realized that I was in this vast body of water, whose drops touched every other continent on the face of the world, and I was connected, by proxy, to every land mass in the entire world by being in the Gulf. The sense of connectedness was overwhelming, and I felt as a being of absolute power, beauty, and wonder sharing in the great Lifeforce that powers every living being.

I guess it's all just a matter of perspective, isn't it?

On our last night there, my wife and I climbed up on a huge concrete plinth overlooking the gulf (it was a memorial to the victims of the great hurricane of 1900). We sat there and watched the full moon as it rose over the waters and became brighter and brighter.

Overall, I'd say it was a terrific vacation...one of the best I've ever had.

Cheers, and I hope you guys had a great time while away from IW as well!

------------------
Old 08-09-2001, 09:33 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Now, I could have chosen to get really gloomy and existential about this, being a pathetic little speck awash in a vast ocean, my life meaningless, blah, blah, blah...the kind of stuff that poets and philosophers spew. However, I looked around me and realized that I was in this vast body of water, whose drops touched every other continent on the face of the world, and I was connected, by proxy, to every land mass in the entire world by being in the Gulf. The sense of connectedness was overwhelming, and I felt as a being of absolute power, beauty, and wonder sharing in the great Lifeforce that powers every living being.

I guess it's all just a matter of perspective, isn't it?
Every water molecule you drink, as well as every water (and any other) molecule in your body, has been in existence for at least 1 billion years--how many other living things have had that same molecule in their makeup?

Not only that, but we are all just compressed fields of space/time, so we are all already the "same" to begin with. Everything is one. If that doesn't add to, and continue, the feeling of oneness then I can't help you.

I must congratulate you, though. How few people ever achieve that understanding?

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....

Who are you? What do you want?
Old 08-09-2001, 10:24 PM   #3
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Sounds like you had a wonderful time Sazerac!! I especially loved the image of you two sitting on the plinth watching the moon rise! Lovely.

What I did during the time IW was down .... other than find out that my husband of 21 years is divorcing me... nuthin. *shrug*

I really missed this place!! Could've used the distraction! LOL

------------------

Having abandoned my
search for truth, I am
now looking for a good
fantasy.

For R³ in thanks:
Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

[This message has been edited by bilqis (edited August 09, 2001).]
Old 08-09-2001, 11:32 PM   #4
Moni

Awesome Sazerac!
Just awesome!
I am so glad that you got to get away and had a great time!
Welcome "Home"!
*Hugs*
Moni

------------------

Old 08-10-2001, 08:11 AM   #5
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Saz, so glad you had a great vacation. And sorry we didn't get to tell you to have a great time before you left. It's always nice to get away, isn't it?

------------------
Old 08-10-2001, 12:40 PM   #6
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

[/B]
Well said Such moments of insight are gifts indeed
Old 08-10-2001, 12:45 PM   #7
Redblueflare
Galvatron

It's nice to have a vacation every once in awhile isn't it? Glad you had a good time! And welcome Diogenes.

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 08-10-2001, 03:18 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Well said Such moments of insight are gifts indeed
Thank you, Dio! I am so glad you made it over to Ironworks!
And thanks to everyone else for their great wishes as well! It is great to be back.

Cheers,

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 08-10-2001).]
Old 08-10-2001, 05:08 PM   #9
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I'm glad you had a good time. I had a similar experience @ the griffith observatory here in Hollywood with my ex. It was a perfectly clear night and I could see millions of stars and I look down and see a beautiful city scape. I just started thinking of how many people all over the world and throughout time have looked up and seen the exact same stars. It was amazing. Like you said, I just felt connected to the world, to everybody. We all have some things in common.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 08-10-2001, 11:04 PM   #10
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

gallstones ...ouch... did they let you keep them?

hope you had a good time and pictures to prove it ...
the vacation that is.....

what happened to me while this site was down?
well... I continued to work, tended to my bone-dry garden, downloaded more music, the usual stuff
but did something different.... I went back to drawing....
now all I had to do is know how to stop....

------------------

[This message has been edited by adam warlock (edited 08-10-2001).]