Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 05-04-2005, 05:06 AM   #1
fish-hedd
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Are there any newer games that completely randomize like Diablo I and II ? Although these games don't have the 'depth' of other RPGs , I find the randomization gives them better replayability that others don't seem to have .
fish-hedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
Too Darkpark
The Magister

randomize what? monsters? if that is what you're looking for than try Sacred.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
I think fish-hedd means random dungeon/map generation. The Diablo games are the only ones I know about, but then, I haven't played all that many games.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:14 PM   #4
fish-hedd
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes... I did mean maps, etc. but I think item generation gives the most variety in a game. I know some games may occasionally randomize 1 item out of a possible 3, but this doesn't really add that much ( such as IWD ). Anyone know of similar item randomization in other games?
fish-hedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:56 PM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Darkstone isn't by any means new but it randomizes dungeons like Diablo. It is an oldie but a goldie.

[ 05-04-2005, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

Do you have PS2? The Champions of Norrath games play like Diablo and have lots of random dungeons, items, ect.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:46 AM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Daggerfall, the dungeons there are pretty random.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:10 AM   #8
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Another much older game which I think is one of the ultimate games for randomisation is SSI's Dungeon Hack, made using the classic Eye of the Beholder engine.

Its quite your classic dungeon crawl with the box IIRC advertising over 4 billion possible configurations. That includes items, monster frequency, trap frequency etc. I played it for awhile years ago just after I finished the first two Eye of teh Beholders and enjoyed it for the most part, but couldn't help feeling that it played a bit too much like a construction kit.

But if randomisation and diablo style gameplay is your thing, then I'd find a copy and give it a shot, definitely. Kind of an apt title in terms of its similarity too, I think.

[ 05-05-2005, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:38 PM   #9
Lucern
Quintesson

That's an understatement Kakero lol. The dungeons in Daggerfall were the only ones that I've ever quit because I've been hopelessly lost. Some of those would have taken like 1000 years to carve out haha. Plus the walls look the same and you lose track of whether you need to go up or down or what. That spell that let you teleport was a gift from the infernal gods hehe.

I also had a great time with Dungeon Hack. Actually getting to the depths with a powerful character was quite satisfying.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:50 PM   #10
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucern:
That's an understatement Kakero lol. The dungeons in Daggerfall were the only ones that I've ever quit because I've been hopelessly lost. Some of those would have taken like 1000 years to carve out haha. Plus the walls look the same and you lose track of whether you need to go up or down or what. That spell that let you teleport was a gift from the infernal gods hehe.
The dungeons make you quit but not the bugs? LOL. I always wondered how much patience does one need to endure all the bugs in the game. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote