Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying

Old 08-11-2006, 02:46 AM   #261
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

"If you don't hold still I'm going to cut that arm off instead of stitch it!" Jin scowled at the soldier next to her. He was being difficult with her on the matter of stitching up a deep cut on his arm. "I don't trust you with that needle! You crazy wench! I saw you coming through here hurting everyone instead of helping." The soldier looked at her defiantly as she took a step back. "Well, then I suppose I'll come back later when your arm needs removed." She sat the needle next to his bed and moved to another.

"Is she always so... unorthodox? She needs to be calm and soothing for these men, not fighting with them and being threatening." An older woman commented to Avis. "Jin means well. She wants these men to live, and feels she doesn't need to coddle them. Her fiery spirit is attractive." The woman raised an eyebrow at what Avis had just said, but didn't voice her opinion.

Jin shrugged the hand off as soon as she felt it. Turning, she saw Avis standing there watching her intently. "You should get some rest. I can see in your eyes how tired you are. There isn't anything wrong with regaining your energy to help the men later." She knew he spoke the truth, but hated to show a sign of weakness when she could continue to help the wounded.

Stepping closer to her, Avis placed his hands on her shoulders and gave a slight squeeze. Jin could feel his breath against her face, and she felt nauseous at the look he was giving her. "I could treat you to some dinner before you turn in for the night." She could tell he was after more than just dinner as a crooked grin barely made itself visible. Everything finally came crashing down in realization like putting a puzzle together. All those nights Avis had offered to say with her to help the sick, the odd stares she would notice from him, everything made sense now.

"I'm not hungry." She told him curtly. Knocking his arms way, she stormed out of the infirmary furious at what he had done and been suggesting. He's nearly old enough to be my grandfather! Damn pervert... Has to just make my life more difficult doesn't he?! Glaring at anyone who dared to look at her, she made her way to a small room located in the servant’s quarters. Not bothering to change out of her bloody uniform, she sat down at a desk and began to write.

Dear Bradley,

I apologize this letter is two months late in reply to your last response. Life is hectic as usual and it slipped my mind.

I'm writing to you to let you know I may be leaving Alesbridge soon. My mentor, Avis Gaviel, has apparently taken a great interest in me. His lecherous stares now make sense, and I blame my foolish pride. I thought he was interested in my skill as a healer, but after today I now realize that wasn't the case.

I know you're my older brother, but please don't come out after me. I'm quite capable of taking care of myself, as you can ask any of the staff inside the manor.

How is your health doing these days? I hope that cough you mentioned has gone away now. I became a physician because of you, you know? So you better be taking good care of yourself in my absence.

Your sister,
Jin

Folding the letter away, she felt the hunger pains stab at her and directed her next course of action. She was promptly kicked out of the kitchen as soon as she opened the door. "What the hell is this? I need food, damnit!" To make matters worse, Christen was the one to respond. "We won't have your bloody clothes in here." Drilling holes into the door with her eyes, "Can someone bring me out a bowl of soup then? I can't exactly heal these soldiers with starvation having its way with me." Various curses could be heard directed at the healer as a bowl of soup was shoved at her. Smirking, she quickly gulped it down and left the empty bowl on the floor next to the door.

The food rejuvenated her a little, but what she badly needed was some rest. Sleep can wait. While she didn't want to go back to the infirmary and see Avis, she knew men still needed to be taken care of, especially that man with the wounded arm. Sighing, and wondering why she put up with some of these people, she made her way back into the fray of death.
Deiter Leafblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:38 AM   #262
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

OOC>>> There's still a time lag, I believe in the Esaha scenes (it should be close to evening though) and the rest (where it's night-time). We'll just have to bear that in mind as we continue with our posts and hopefully at some point we can all be in sync [img]smile.gif[/img]

A nice, untroubled afternoon this was. Just like all the afternoons for the past few weeks, which suited him just fine. Yawning, Ignatious cast a sleepy smile in the direction of his pudgy cat, but not quite catching its equally insolent grin. "If only every day were like this, eh?" He could barely pronounce his words, so wide was his mouth from the yawn. "It's time to rest in our laurels, Jade. Yessiree."

The last few days had been particularly satisfying, when he considered all the cries of the city messenger and guards in the streets - not that he had bothered to venture outside to listen to the details. All he had heard were muffled cries, all hovering around the same few topics:

"Someone's been killed!"
"The forest creatures have attacked again!"
"Alesbridge needs your help!"
"The hero has arrived!"

and cringed at these unpleasantries. Why all the fuss? Why not just mind one's own business and be contented? He could not understand. But the only instruction he had wholeheartedly agreed with was this:

"Stay within your houses!"

Yessiree. That would suit him just fine, thank you very much. He exercised his jaw muscles, trying to rid them of their stiffness from inactivity. "My only regret, Jade, is that all this came so late..."

KNOCK, KNOCK.

He bolted upright at the unwelcome sound. "Hear that, Jade?" The tabby made a ferocious purr, showing her irritation. "What is it now, I wonder..." Hesitantly, he removed his bottom from his comfortable, dear chair and shuffled his feet unwillingly to the door. Sliding the eye-hole panel, he found himself staring into a pair of young, earnest eyes.

A girl.

Grimacing, he shut her from his view and shook his head sadly. I shouldn't have done that. Now he had to entertain another visitor. Why couldn't they just leave him alone?

There was nothing now for him to do but open the door. His reputation as a genial character - which he had put up with so much to achieve - must be retained.

With an air of defeat, he unbolted the door and opened it, his depressed eyes taking in her full appearance.

"What is it you want?" The tone of his voice was pleading, wishing that she would go away.
mistral4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #263
mistral4543

OOC>>> I'm going to be out the whole of tomorrow, Deiter, so I'm leaving it sufficiently ambiguous for you in case you want some night adventures for Altair

What was happening in the hall? What would Papa do to Altair? Robyn paced about her room, chewing her nails uncharacteristically. Could he have gone back on his word? She shook her head sternly. Papa would never do that. Papa is always fair and keeps his word.

Mentally, she went through the scenes in her memory that had involved Altair, Papa and herself. There were a number of these, but mainly moments when Papa had chanced upon them when they had emerged from forbidden territories, and lectured them thereafter. Groaning, she realised the pattern in all these dealings. Papa has always seen the wild, naughty streak of Altair. Never the gentle and kind side... And those instances had not even been of a harsh nature, such as those Altair had since run into. Please, Altair... don't fail me... don't fail us. Her faith was wavering when she considered her father's high standards of morals, those she herself had tried so hard to attain but failed in the past. Please, Papa, have an open mind...

It was then that she heard the familiar footsteps, followed by the familiar knock on the door and that familiar voice. Not knowing whether to rejoice or tremble, she answered falteringly.

"Please enter, Papa."

The father who came into her room bore brooding and weary eyes, eyes that beckoned to her to have mercy on him just as she was hoping that he would be forgiving towards her beloved. Papa is tired. And no wonder. Her heart began to ache for him, especially when she had learnt of Mama's death a few moments ago. My sorrow for Mama can never reach even a-tenth of that Papa must be feeling.

For she had never truly loved her mother, who had laid the barriers in the form of superficiality between herself and her daughter. In her childhood, she had heard about rare toys from kindly strangers; in her adolescence, she had started hearing about the hateful world of beauty, jewels, beautiful clothes, family wealth and inheritances. It was not that she abhorred these possessions - who in the right mind could, if they were there for the taking? - but because they pushed her away from the soul of Yasmine Mehlingard. The more she had tried to reach out to Mama, the more she had been repelled by those hurtful words. Now, it seemed that the death of her mother was in a sense, a release from a daily ritual which meant nothing to her.

"I have spoken to Altair, Robyn." She jerked back to reality, studying her father's countenance. It was not easy to decipher the feelings beneath it, however, because of his obvious exhaustion. "I have to tell you, daughter, that I am not impressed by the fresh tales he brings back." There was a coolness in his tone which half-brought tears to her eyes. "His only redeeming feature is that he tells the truth... but even that, he hides as much as he can."

Nothing that Papa had just uttered was untrue. She could only stand wretchedly, soaking in his preliminary judgement of the one she loved so much. I should speak up for Altair... But in Papa's current mood, to say more might cause her intentions to backfire. Besides... and here, her heart softened... Papa really should rest.

Nodding in a daze, she finally replied, her eyes glistening in the candlelight. "You have a right to your views, Papa, and it would be really unfair and selfish for me to start defending Altair right now, for I would not stop anytime within the next couple of hours if I were to do so." Was that a grin on Papa's face? Her spirits lifted as she saw that with just these words, she had managed to insert some humour into his heart.

"I hope that you will have a good night's sleep and sweet dreams, Papa." Impulsively, she walked up to him and gave him a bear hug, which he returned feelingly. "But tomorrow, you must give Altair and I another chance." She nestled her head against his broad chest. "Is it agreed, Papa?"

Gerald held his precious daughter tightly. If only I didn't ever had to let you go... On a night like this, when all momentous events seemed to be over, all he wanted was for his little girl to lie in bed, listening to himself count over and over again until she fell asleep. If only you hadn't grown up so soon. Why couldn't she forever be running up to him, demanding for more horseriding and archery lessons? Now, she might even have bested him! If only you hadn't fallen for that scoundrel so soon...

The last thought pained him and he tried to stifle it as he released her eventually. "I'll think about it, Robyn." He was not about to give up his authority so soon, and to let her be misled by a good-for-nothing... There you go again, Gerald! You've got to stop thinking, that's your problem.

Brushing her cheeks with the tip of his right thumb, he bent forward and kissed her forehead before wishing her goodnight.

"Sleep tight yourself, my pet. Tomorrow will be a better day."
Old 08-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #264
mistral4543

OOC>>> Finally, this post, so that those of us who want to move on to the next day for some of our characters can do so [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Tossing and turning, Acacia finally woke up from the brief spell of rest she had just caught, her fingers pinching the ridge between her eyes to rid herself of the dull ache there. What time is it, in the seven heavens? Groggily, she raised herself into a sitting position and peered out of the window.

The sky was a deep blue, but a closer look revealed that dawn was less than an hour away. The air smelt fresh enough for her standards, and she half-reluctantly dragged herself out of bed.

It was another of those days when her mind was ripping itself into insanity with indecision. To return to sleep or not, was one of the worst afflictions she could give her mind. Over-indulgence would mean a delay in her travels; but insufficient rest meant that her progress for the rest of the day would be sluggish. Make up your mind, damn it, Acacia! But the scolding rang hollowly somewhat, when she recalled her discoveries of the previous day.

You might as well admit it, Acacia. Sighing, she reached for her duffel bag. You couldn't possibly sleep again so soon, after all that baggage. In fact, the thought of rescuing Rehan was doubly attractive now; she would not only be useful to him, but he would provide a welcome diversion. Glancing out of the window again, she confirmed her decision. Canna should have had enough rest by now... leastways, more than myself.

Determinedly, she swung the duffel over her shoulders, unbolted the door and made her way to the stables.

"Ready for Alesbridge, Canna?" She whispered in response to the mare's happy neigh. "It's not that near, you know, so it's a good idea we're starting early." Rehan would love Canna too, she was sure... but then again, did it matter? A wrinkle appeared on her forehead.

"Let's go, girl."

The trot fastened into a gallop, and rider and horse charged into the brightening horizon.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #265
mistral4543

OOC: I've got to start cutting back from posting till around end-September, everyone.

An intensive period of work faces me, and I'd rather not compromise the quality of my posts with scrappy ones at the end of each day when I'm completely drained.

However, I'd really be pleased if the rest of you carried on with your RP-ing if you felt like it, during this period. My next few posts will be targeted at tucking my characters away, so that you do so without being trapped by them [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #266
dplax
Jack Burton

Esaha was slightly taken aback by the man's attitude, but, she hoped, she managed to mask her emotions well. Trying to peer over the man's shoulder, she glanced at his cat. Esaha had had enough of felines in the last few days, and was not sure whether she wanted to approach the cat.

Don't be stupid! It's just a normal house cat! Nothing to fear, she tried convincing herself, with only a bit of success. She made two hesitant steps towards the door, but then stopped again.

"Err...my name is Esaha, and one of the servants in Lord Gerald's manor told me that you might be able to help me." She found that she had said all that pretty fast, and without taking breath in the middle, for some reason wanting to get it out as fast as she could.

"You see," she continued explaining, "something rather unusual happened to me last night. I have never cast a magical spell before, but last night, I did so. And not a weak one either. It left me completely drained, and I still feel quite tired from it. I was wondering whether you were able to offer me any explanations on what had happened?"
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #267
mistral4543

Just as I thought. He eyed her distastefully, and the smile - if there had even been one - on his face turned uneasy. What does she think I am, a genius?

Not trusting himself to speak, he stepped aside so that she could enter a little further into the house. As much as Jade would allow, that is. Now look what you've done, invited an unwelcome visitor further in. Great, Banadu, just great.

Coughing in the awkward silence that followed, he took in her appearance closely and assessed that she was quite harmless. Well, obviously not so harmless as to be void of spellcasting, but the expression in her eyes gave assurance that she would not resort to violence, for now.

"Well..." What to say, Banadu, what to say? It had been so long since he had last spoken to a fellow spellcaster that he was rather tongue-tied. Bashfully, he scratched his head, turned to his most unhelpful tabby and then back to Esaha. "... obviously, you have untapped power." He did not know whether to be impressed by this, happy for her or entirely threatened. "You need to learn to harness it."

All this was spoken in a drawl, as if she ought to be grateful that he was even answering her questions. Yet there was nothing he could do to stop the occasional twitch in his eyes, or the clenching and unclenching of his fists.