Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you honestly care if he did actually smoke from the bong?
Yes. OMG, he's the greatest model our children have, what will become of this society! 3 16.67%
No. He's young, and will learn from his mistakes. 10 55.56%
Yes. This will become a lesson for all of society to learn from. 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2009, 07:23 AM   #21
Stratos
Vampire

Default Re: Poll: Does anybody care about Michael Phelps and his bong?

I don't really care if Phelps smokes a bong, but understandibly his sponsors might do.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #22
Captain Obvious
Elminster

Penguin Bashing Champion Simon Champion Snakeman Champion

Agreed with some of the others, its not that big a deal.

Although, i agree having his photo taken wasnt great, although it is possible he didnt know - in which case some (or at least one) of his 'friends' is a total jackass.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #23
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Do I personally care that Michael Phelps took a bong hit? No.

Do I think he should have given a little more thought about what he was about to do? Yes.

Why? Well, the corporate sponsorships are one thing. The possibility of being banned from future Olympics is another. But the biggest reason is the fact that Phelps IS a role-model for thousands of young people. He accepted this role when he accepted endorsements and allowed himself to be marketed that way. Whether you agree with the law or not, marinuana is illegal in the U.S. . So, as a role model and US citizen, Phelps should have refrained from smoking so he doesn't encourage others to try something that is illegal.

I never tried illegal drugs and think it is just a bad idea in general to do so. Each person has the right to make his or her own choice in the matter, but when you represent a larger ideal and have the ability to influence the actions of many others, you should conduct yourself with a little more restraint.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #24
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

i said the last one.

society should learn from this that even athletes like weed, so we should LEGALIZE IT!!!

-al'Lan Mandragoran, Last Lord of the Seven Towers
DrowArchmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #25
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Whether you agree with the law or not, marinuana is illegal in the U.S.
Actually it's not illegal in all 50 states.

Regardless, this is the kind of atitude which allows tyranny to rise and drives a stake in the heart of liberty. True lovers of freedom ought to be ashamed of prohibition and should speak out against it at every quarter.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #26
Chewbacca
Zartan

Look out Phelps, it's the pigs! They come for you.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...T6buAD96A1JB80

Quote:
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Police in the South Carolina county where Michael Phelps was photographed smoking from a marijuana pipe have been arresting people as they seek to make a case against the superstar swimmer, a lawyer for one arrested person said Thursday.

Attorney Joseph McCulloch said he has a client who was charged with possession of marijuana and questioned about the now-infamous party Phelps attended near the University of South Carolina campus in November. He said his client's roommate also was arrested.

McCulloch did not name his client, who faces up to 30 days in jail and a $200 fine if convicted on the pending charge.
30 days in jail for using the good blessed herb of the Earth, that's the real crime in this episode.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #27
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

Regardless, this is the kind of atitude which allows tyranny to rise and drives a stake in the heart of liberty. True lovers of freedom ought to be ashamed of prohibition and should speak out against it at every quarter.
It has nothing to do with an attitude that promotes tyranny, Chewbacca. It is a simple statement of fact.

Marijuana is illegal in most of the 50 states (btw, where is it not illegal?). Just like driving over a certain speed is illegal in most 50 states. If you disagree with the law, then you can certainly speak out to change it. But until it is changed, it's a good idea not to break the law.

As for your concept of prohibition, most substances that are illegal are considered to have side effects that are harmful to the individual and/or others in society or both. That is why the gov't feels the need to make the use of those substances illegal. If you think you should have the freedom to ingest any substance you want, regardless of consequences to yourself or others, then the same logic applies to pharmaceutical drugs. There should be no restrictions on them either.

As always, your freedom to do what you want stops at the point where it interferes with my freedom to not be affected by the choice you make.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #28
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

Mad Re: Poll: Does anybody care about Michael Phelps and his bong?

This is a bad poll. Completely biased. There is no choice about people apathetic to him smoking marijuana.

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."
- Milton Waddams
thecarrotdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #29
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

Im my town they just legalized the use of medicinal marijuana.

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."
- Milton Waddams
thecarrotdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #30
Chewbacca
Zartan

Light Bulb Re: Poll: Does anybody care about Michael Phelps and his bong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
It has nothing to do with an attitude that promotes tyranny, Chewbacca. It is a simple statement of fact.

Marijuana is illegal in most of the 50 states (btw, where is it not illegal?). Just like driving over a certain speed is illegal in most 50 states. If you disagree with the law, then you can certainly speak out to change it. But until it is changed, it's a good idea not to break the law.

As for your concept of prohibition, most substances that are illegal are considered to have side effects that are harmful to the individual and/or others in society or both. That is why the gov't feels the need to make the use of those substances illegal. If you think you should have the freedom to ingest any substance you want, regardless of consequences to yourself or others, then the same logic applies to pharmaceutical drugs. There should be no restrictions on them either.

As always, your freedom to do what you want stops at the point where it interferes with my freedom to not be affected by the choice you make.
For 70+ years the government has had nothing but propaganda against Marijuana. Lies upon lies.

To trespass on a neighbor's freedom to enjoy a simple good herb, a fruit of the earth. Tyrany, there is no other word for it.