Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2006, 06:41 AM   #21
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Yes y'all are correct! But it got you posting!
Old 12-17-2006, 08:37 AM   #22
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Reason #DCIV: Plotting on murdering the alphabet. Yes, that is right good people of the forums. I am going to become a necromantic lyrical assassin. All my dragons and liches will get down to the zombie beat of the drums. West Side Kara-Tur, fools! Pax exeunt!

*place maniacal laughter here for proper effect. use deep voiced version ending with "I'd like to give a shout-out to all my homeboys locked down in the Undermountain." yes...*

====
====

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar, whom I would really love to see some day in the Escape From Undermountain module:

You know, I was always uncomfortable with possessives ending in ess. I prefer to avoid it completely. Instead of talking about the love of Jesus, for example, I'll say "Christ's love." Here, I would say "Santa's kringle" but something might be lost. The kringle of Kris? "Kris' kringle" seems to be accepted, but it upsets my nerves and I always have to go lie down for a little while after I'm forced to write something like that.
I am sorry, but that was just a priceless statement that had to be quoted and reposted for all to see again. My grammatical battling skills are pathetic compared to your advanced Shaolin Language-Boxing styles. I bow to your superior writing ability - and I'll send you all my writing to correct it! *grins sociopathically* After all, with such a viable and truly potent resource just an internet server away, why not attempt to access such a treasure trove of verbal knowledge for my own nefarious ends?

[ 12-17-2006, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Mozenwrathe ]
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:40 AM   #23
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Mozenwrathe:
Reason #DCIV: Plotting on murdering the alphabet. Yes, that is right good people of the forums. I am going to become a necromantic lyrical assassin. All my dragons and liches will get down to the zombie beat of the drums. West Side Kara-Tur, fools! Pax exeunt!

*place maniacal laughter here for proper effect. use deep voiced version ending with "I'd like to give a shout-out to all my homeboys locked down in the Undermountain." yes...*
Uhh, the off topic thread is that way: Icon 2
Old 12-17-2006, 08:41 AM   #24
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:

Uhh, the off topic thread is that way: (I don't know how to make an arrow )
Old 12-17-2006, 08:43 AM   #25
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
quote:

Uhh, the off topic thread is that way: (I don't know how to make an arrow ) [/QUOTE]ah, but I thought this thread was supposed to be for reasons why IW-ers are posting. that WAS the reason I was posting... *sighs* oh well, back to the drawing board so to speak.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #26
Sigmar
Unicorn

436241. Randomness is back in fashion.
Sigmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:49 PM   #27
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
You know, I was always uncomfortable with possessives ending in ess. I prefer to avoid it completely. Instead of talking about the love of Jesus, for example, I'll say "Christ's love." Here, I would say "Santa's kringle" but something might be lost. The kringle of Kris? "Kris' kringle" seems to be accepted, but it upsets my nerves and I always have to go lie down for a little while after I'm forced to write something like that.

Also, I get the feeling that it changes from country to country. I seem to recall hearing that Americans can say "Kris' kringle" but in England the rule might be "Kris's kringle." This is similar to the rule of commas in quotations... Again, I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that the American rule would be:

The flavors we can select are "Cherry," "Strawberry," and "Peach."

While I was under the impression that elsewhere the rule was:

The flavors we can select are "Cherry", "Strawberry", and "Peach".

I myself use the latter, as it seems more correct to me in an intrinsic sort of way.
I always learned it would be Kris's kringle. Unless the word is a plural you put 's regardless of whether it ends in s. So it would be princess's and princesses' but not princesses's. It has to do with how you say it. Thinking about pronunciation, if you were talking about the room that Chris owned you say Chris-es room not Chris room so you put 's. In contrast, for the crowns that many princesses own you say princesses crowns not princesses-es crowns so it is just the apostrophe. The exception is words that are not plurals that end with two s sounds like Jesus or Moses which just have the apostrophe as in Jesus' because the pronunciation of Jesus's is too awkward.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:57 PM   #28
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
The exception is words that are not plurals that end with two s sounds like Jesus or Moses which just have the apostrophe as in Jesus' because the pronunciation of Jesus's is too awkward.
so doesn't princess end with two s sounds? the 'c' and the 'ss'?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:32 PM   #29
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
Yes y'all are correct! But it got you posting!
Thank you so much for spelling "y'all" correctly! It bugs the living daylights out of me when supposedly intelligent people write it as "ya'll"...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:37 PM   #30
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:

I usually have to go kill something, preferably in a game... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Also, I get the feeling that it changes from country to country. I seem to recall hearing that Americans can say "Kris' kringle" but in England the rule might be "Kris's kringle." This is similar to the rule of commas in quotations... Again, I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that the American rule would be:

The flavors we can select are "Cherry," "Strawberry," and "Peach."

While I was under the impression that elsewhere the rule was:

The flavors we can select are "Cherry", "Strawberry", and "Peach".

I myself use the latter, as it seems more correct to me in an intrinsic sort of way.
I use the latter version as well. I was taught, many moons ago, that the punctuation (commas, periods, question marks, and so on) go inside the quotes if they're pertinent to what's being quoted.

For instance...

"Where are you going?" he asked.

Is the answer "ten", "twenty", or "Choc"?

In another variation, the comma before the conjunction (or in that last case) is apparently no longer needed. I asked that question of someone who's a published grammar snob (and whose name I can't remember!), and he said that putting it there is an old grammatical style from some thirty years ago or so.

[ 12-17-2006, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote