Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 06-10-2005, 11:26 AM   #1
NobleNick
Quintesson

Hi, guys!

I need another game like I need a hole in the head; but I saw a preview of Guild Wars at a local electronics store and, as if by predestination, here are a whole bunch of folks talking about it on this brand new IW forum!

I stumbled across /)eathkiller's excellent Guild Wars maps and explanations, which really piqued my interest. I have read at least 6 professional reviews of this game; but STILL can't figure out all I want to know before popping out $50 to get a copy.

Games I have played and very much enjoyed: Diablo 2(LOD); WarCraft series; StarCraft series; IceWind Dale and Heart of Winter; Halo; Age of Empires; Age of Empires 2; Civ2; Alpha Centuari; Unreal Tournament 2004; and my all time favorites --> Myth and Myth 2.

Questions (Please feel free to answer any or all) :

1.a.)Where does the genre of roleplay GW fit in amongst the games above?

1.b.) Same question for PvP?

2.) for RPG side: Is the GW map an open 3D world? Or are you essentially confined to the hewn out paths? For instance: Do you have to stick to the curvy roads I saw laid out in the map, or could you take a shortcut through the woods?

3.) How big is the world of RPG GW, compared to Diablo2 and other recent offerings?

4.) Are the people who play this game (RPG side) like the nice people who frequent the IW forums, or are they more like the snotty brats one finds so often in Diablo2?

5.) What is the best thing you like about the RPG side of the game?

6.) DO you think that the RPG side would hold one's interest and provide growth on a par with Diablo2(LOD)?

7.) What is the combat engine like? Are there physics-based effects? Does weather and terrain affect gameplay? (like in Myth --> snow and rain would snuff out some thrown explosives, travel uphill was slower than level travel which was slower than downhill; uphill archers enjoyed a greater shooting range then there downhill opponents, explosive effects were amplified in tunnels and near walls, etc.)

8.) How does the PvP side of the game compare to PvP games like UT2004 and Halo?

Thank you!

[ 06-10-2005, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

It would fall into the category of Diablo-esque.

The gameplay is very similar only instead of a chat room leading to personalize games you meet in cities (oftne clutered) arange teams and head out. Once outside of the cities you get your own personalized zones.

There's also a bigger inventory system, a broader range of items, a more diverse series of armor (each armor is based on the class) there's dual-classing and of course it's 3D.

The only other game like this is Phantasy Star Online. And that game costs money to play, so I'd probably say go with Guild Wars.

All I know is that i'm taking a long break from it because I became frustraited playing as a warrior. I've started a monk and necro character over and I'll see where that ends up taking me but for now I'm just going to give the community a little time to grow and mature in my absense. Like most MMORPGs you'll find that the best things come with time.

Though this game isn't like those other MMORPGs out there in that it doesn't require actual time to play.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:09 AM   #3
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I to became frustrated as a warrior. So I started up a Ele/Ranger and I am now loving the game again.

The warrior seems like a good starting point but to me seems to be underpowered.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:36 AM   #4
NobleNick
Quintesson

/)eathKiller, T-D-C,

Thank you for your replies.

I succombed to temptation and got the game. I agree with your "Diablo-esque" description. But the graphics and 3-D world are much better; and it appears that a little more thought and strategy is needed, as opposed to "point and click, point and click, point and click," etc.

I have a LVL 6 Ranger/Necro in Pre-Sear. (Got all the way to LVL 4 before realizing that I had attribute points to distribute. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ). I was going to do Ranger/Monk; but someone who helped me along the way said that Necro secondary would be better: gives minions to keep between you and enemies who want to close for hand-to-hand. Don't know if I chose correctly, but am having fun.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

are you in pre-searing ascalon cuz if so I could give ya a bit of help if you need it.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

/)eathKiller,

Yes, I am in pre-searing with my first, and only, character (the Ranger/Necro).

I would love some online partying help, if that is what you are talking about; but it will have to be on a catch-as-catch-can basis for the next few days to weeks: Although I am salivating to get into the game, I have some work and family responsibilities that will make my access to GW on an "as available" basis, only. The next two weeks look pretty full.

If I whisper you while we are both in-game, will you hear me, no matter where you are?

I have several questions that maybe you can help with, though:

1.) Do I have to wait until Post-Sear to join a Guild? (I aspire to join the IW guild when the time comes...)

2.) What are all these artifacts that I keep coming across that supposedly increase energy but don't do anything for me? For instance, Wisp (my Ranger/Necro) has a necklace, old gloves, and several other things that typically claim to increase energy by +3; but I can't find any way to get her to wear the items; and they do not have an impact on her energy while in inventory: Her max energy is solidly stuck at 25. What good are these items, other than turning in for gold?

3.) How far do I progress before better armor becomes available for my Ranger? Should I be collecting crafting materials? I have been to the weaponsmith. What else should I be doing to maximize my chances of getting the best armor and weapon upgrades? Or is this not important in Pre-Searing?

4.) What does, for instance, a "Grawl longspear salvage kit" do? Is it only good for upgrading longspears, or is there something I can do with it that might theoretically be used to improve my bow or armor?

Thanks!

[ 06-13-2005, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
Old 06-13-2005, 05:56 PM   #7
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
/)eathKiller,

I have several questions that maybe you can help with, though:

1.) Do I have to wait until Post-Sear to join a Guild? (I aspire to join the IW guild when the time comes...)

Nope if you whisper Troy Paladin (ingame name) he can let you join the guild. Or check the joining thread in this forum.

2.) What are all these artifacts that I keep coming across that supposedly increase energy but don't do anything for me? For instance, Wisp (my Ranger/Necro) has a necklace, old gloves, and several other things that typically claim to increase energy by +3; but I can't find any way to get her to wear the items; and they do not have an impact on her energy while in inventory: Her max energy is solidly stuck at 25. What good are these items, other than turning in for gold?

They increase your energy regen rate I think. I'm still not 100% on this.

3.) How far do I progress before better armor becomes available for my Ranger? Should I be collecting crafting materials? I have been to the weaponsmith. What else should I be doing to maximize my chances of getting the best armor and weapon upgrades? Or is this not important in Pre-Searing?

There is a pre searing set you can get from all the collectors. I think the ranger has 3 peices available to them. As soon as you leave for the academy you can get a new set so its not 100% important.

4.) What does, for instance, a "Grawl longspear salvage kit" do? Is it only good for upgrading longspears, or is there something I can do with it that might theoretically be used to improve my bow or armor?

Pretty much all items can be salvaged to produce crafting materials. Grawl longspear kits generally salavege a leather square. All you need to do is buy yourself a salvage kit from a merchant, then double click the salvage kit and then click the grawl longspear gear. This will then produce a salvage component. Advice. If you want good armour as soon as you get to the searing then salvage lots of leather, iron, etc.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2005, 07:44 PM   #8
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Energy + items add onto your maximum energy output (thats the blue bar)

most + energy items are two handed or can only be equipped in your left hand (sheild hand).