Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 10-02-2001, 07:58 AM   #1
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Ye gods, this forum is like a morgue! HELLO, IS THERE ANYONE HERE? (sound echoes off distant bookshelves)
Well, to liven things up a bit, I shall post a new topic.
I've noticed that very many people here have read Terry Pratchett. Do you like him? Why/why not? What is your favorite series/book/character?
I love Terry Pratchett! His books are great! Above all, of course, the Discworld series (although I recommend "Good Omens" highly). You have to laugh at the things borrowed from our real world - with a twist .
My favorite series would be the City Watch series, my favorite book "Feet of Clay"
My favorite character would need some thought - it's a tie between Death, Death of Rats, Angua and Susan.
Post please!

------------------

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Guardian of the Temple of Aerie (specialized in GenCon and BG)
Most Illustrious Arch-Magess of the Illuminati
Lux omnis est
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 08:18 AM   #2
Zbyszek

HE IS GREAT!!
DISCWORLD IS GREAT!!!!
Rincewind is the best mage ever! Death of Rats - the only responsible worker over Discworld!!!
Susan is ok. Cohen the Barbarian is really educational.
Corporal Nobb (of that Nobbs) and the second one (I forgot name) - aghhhh....

Zbyszek
Zbyszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 08:32 AM   #3
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Just LOVE the witches! And DEATH, of course, and DEATH OF RATS!

Of the witches - I think I like Magrat most. She is such a dope - but she isn't, too. Next Granny Weatherwax, because she is a fraud - but she also ISN'T - and then Nanny 'Og. I don't actually LIKE Nanny 'Og, but she is a very good character!

Miss Susan is good. I'm looking forward to the next story with her in it.

Have you noticed how the Discworld and the characters have evolved over the years? And how dark some of the stories are? I think Pratchett is an excellent writer.
I like his other books, but Discworld is my favourite!

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 09:11 AM   #4
Epona
Zartan

I like early Terry Pratchett - my favourite book is The Colour of Magic. Consequently, my fave character is The Luggage. I like Rincewind too, and Granny Weatherwax.
I only got as far as the first 6 or 7 books though. I hadn't gone off it or anything - just no time to keep up with his prolific writing and the constant stream of new books!

Oh, and I went to a book signing many years ago, and have my very own signed copy of Truckers.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Epona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 09:12 AM   #5
Zbyszek

You dont like Nanny? I cant believe - I LOVE HER. She is so sweet...
She has firm grip over her family - but all should care after older
She and Greebo... oh.., and that dwarf Casanova!!!
Zbyszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 02:09 PM   #6
E`bola
Dungeon Master

Discworld is great place

like to see more action by Cohen the barbarian

------------------
mostly harmless
E`bola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 06:42 PM   #7
AliCat
Drow Warrior

I started reading Terry Pratchett's stuff, I think, somewhere around 1987 or so -- hooked from the start. He is, however, getting more and more prolific. I just barely get the latest copy, when another is coming out. Speaking of which, "The Last Hero" is coming out in the U.S. on October 16th... sounds like it's illustrated (according to Amazon.com), a tale of Cohen the Barbarian.

Hmm, not sure which was my favorite book... must go back and reread them all to find out!!!

As for favorite characters, Granny Weatherwax, Death of Rats, Death, Detritus, the gargoyles, Cheery Littlebottom... Twoflower??... best stop now, or everyone will be on my list.
AliCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 01:42 PM   #8
imperial dwarf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Pratchett's truly a great author and definetly one of my favorites. Mind boggling humor combined with a huge amount of hints and the eventual philsophical line. And he's very creative, with both his story lines and his characters, therefore i agree with alicat, it's difficult to have a favorite char, they're all great in their own way. You'll never see him approach from the same mental direction more than ones(whatever that is supposed to mean ). my favorite books are interesting times and of course small gods, you just have to love them both.

------------------
reality is for those not smart enough to see the truth!!!!!
imperial dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 07:16 PM   #9
Tancred
White Dragon

Pratchett is great fun. I've found that, somehow, he's beginning to stagnate and some of his later books I just shake my head and wonder what it was about. His earlier books, though, are masterpieces.
Tancred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 04:55 AM   #10
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

He's hilarious. I'd have to say my favorite is Soul Music. Nothing like a rock n roll band in a fantasy world hehe. And Death rules.
Prime2U is offline   Reply With Quote