Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2002, 07:35 PM   #1
Tormentor
Manshoon

I have a bit of a problem here,
whenever i get the boots of speed, it makes me want to explore the game all hasty and stressy, i feel like 'walk walk walk walk' , i know this might sound stupid, but i'm seriously thinking about selling these boots, so i can explore in a relaxing way again... or just don't put them on, but when i loose my patience i put them on again.... (note: i'm solo'ing the game...)

anyway, another problem is that i have this 'argh! i don't know where to go' when i just entered the city of BG again....

sorry for this sorta silly topic tho... but i just want to share experience....
Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 07:57 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I primarily use the Boots to make sure that my Tank is always at the front of the party. Not that that applies to a Solo game, but....

What class are you? When I'm feeling bloodthirsty, there's nothing I like better than a Stealth, Backstab, then run away and do it again! Besides, it's comforting knowing that no matter what happens, you can always outrun the enemy (unless you get Held or Webbed or something). If I were you, I'd switch them out--IF there were any other really good Boots, which there are not.

Yeah; BG city, fair old BG city, the Land of Subquests Extraordinaire. But what do you care, you're already at the EXP cap anyway, right?
Old 07-24-2002, 08:04 PM   #3
Tormentor
Manshoon

i'm a ranger... using the exp cap remover, so there's still lots to do within the city of Baldur's Gate... but hmm... still damn those boots of speed, if only they had the 'haste' function as in BG2... anyway, i think i'll keep them afterall, if i get in some serious shit, and it kinda helps me killing the bigger one's with bow and arrows.... (run away, take a shot, run away again...) kinda feels like cheating tho...
Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 09:31 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Tormentor:
kinda feels like cheating tho...
Hey man, if you're SOLOING, nothing is cheating except cheating itself. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2002, 06:06 AM   #5
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
--IF there were any other really good Boots, which there are not.
I personally like the boots which improve your armour class against arrows by 4 or something. Also very helpful for your tank when going up against a group of archers.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Scholarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 11:10 AM   #6
DaemonJ
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The girdle of piercing and the boots of avoidance definitely help out against missile attacks.

It really depends upon what class your character is as to whether something would be more helpful.

For instance, if you are a thief or thief multi-class the boots of stealth would allow you to concentrate your skills in other areas (lock picking and/or find traps; the latter especially for Durlag's Tower).

The boots of speed or avoidance for a mage.
DaemonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 11:18 AM   #7
Wilbur
Zhentarim Guard

For a thief get boots of stealth, then buy shadow armor and youll hardly have to put any points into stealth. Sends your find traps up really high in only a few levels.
Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 10:07 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur:
For a thief get boots of stealth, then buy shadow armor and youll hardly have to put any points into stealth.
Except that in ToSC, you have to go above 100% Stealth if you want to be sure you always make your roll: Straight BG1 doesn't take factors such as bright light into account, but ToSC does, so if you hit that Stealth button when you're not in a shadowed alleyway, you could fail your roll. I had a guy crank his Stealth up close to 200% (with items), and he could vanish in broad daylight, in the middle of a football field.