Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Default What are the 6 most powerful weapons (or weapon combos) in the game?

I'm trying to build a party with a lot of melee characters in it. So far, I've got:

Korgan: Axe of the Unyeilding +5
Mazzy: Ravager +6
Anomen: Flail of the Ages +5
Jaheira: Ixil's Spike +6
Keldorn: Carsomyr +6

I'd use a M/T protagonist, armed with the Staff of the Magi (and Staff of the Ram +6 for backstabbing). He's use Short Bow of Gesen for ranged attacks when not casting.

I think a primarily melee orientated party would actually be quite powerful. I'd be low on casting, but I don't really know if that would be much of a problem.

I also LOVE that 4 characters get Fighter HLAs, and one gets Thief HLAs. Anomen loses out in that department.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:35 AM   #2
IronDragon
Elminster

Default Re: What are the 6 most powerful weapons (or weapon combos) in the game?

Everyone will have opinions about what are the best weapons and what are the best combinations

Some of the advanced weapons seem to be left off of your list
Crom Faeyr +4 (especially good for dual weilding)
Foebane +5
Angurvadal +5
Dagger of the Star +5
Storm Star +5
Spectral Brand +5
Short Sword of the Mask +5

How powerful a weapon is also dependant on where in the game you are. remember in BG 1 that =1 long sword is like gold.

That said
Some of the better early game weapons:
Celestial Fury
Improved Mace of Disruption
Flame tongue
Daystar
Equalizer

As for your game plans:
Alto depends on if you want anyone to dual wield
Koran and Anomen do well on this

One of my favorite Anomen combinations is flail of ages +5 and Crom Faeyr in his off hand.
As a fighter Korgan and dual wield anything the rare a lot of nice long swords with special bonuses attached to them.

Mazzy probably shouldn’t be duel wielding. Her strength is with her bow. She can turn the Tuigan Bow into a machine gun or make use of Short Bow of Gesen for ammunition free work.

Early in the game I like having Jaheira use Blackblood and the shield of harmony.

Keldorn has skill in qrossbows already so set him up with Firetooth +5
Old 10-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Neomi
Zhentarim Guard

Default Re: What are the 6 most powerful weapons (or weapon combos) in the game?

Have to disagree with a couple of those...

A dwarf with a longsword just doesn't seem right.
Keldorn with Firetooth is just wasting Carsomyr.

I would agree that Mazzy is probably better off with a short bow and keeping out of melee for the most part.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

I think I'm actually leaning towards Korgan eventually dual wielding with the Defender of Easthaven in his offhand. He'll live longer with damage reduction. The idea for the Angurvadal +5 is a great one though... boosting the STR of any tank always helps, and I'm going to run out of belts eventually.

I will build Anomen towards dual wielding the Flail of Ages with Crom Faeyr.

Mazzy is primarily used as an archer, but I build her towards Halberds for the following reasons:

1)Halberds are an awesome weapon class once you're in the underdark.
2)I like Mazzy more than Sarevok (she's more of a survivor with the better saving throws, and I LOVE her banter with Korgan).
3)Missile attacks lose out to melee eventually. I like having her pepper the baddies until they get close, then changing to a very destructive weapon.

Everybody else is using a 2 handed weapon.

BTW, these are just initial plans. This is a no reloads game, so if any of my characters get chunked I need to replace them with another NPC (I guess Minsc and Valygar can replace some of the tanks, and I'd really like to avoid having to pick up Cernd, Aerie, or Viconia for this game).

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Klorox; 10-07-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Though soemtimes underappreciated, a fully upgraded Foebane + GWW or WW can heal up a tank almost instantly.

Larloch's Minor Drain on hit is amazing.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrvias View Post
Though soemtimes underappreciated, a fully upgraded Foebane + GWW or WW can heal up a tank almost instantly.

Larloch's Minor Drain on hit is amazing.
Oh, I agree. But what weapon do I take out for it?

Old 10-07-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Quite frankly, I'd make Keldorn dual wield Foebane with The Purifier was it? The less potent version of Carsomyr, available in 1-handed form.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

you could take my wife along and she could nag the baddies to death.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
Lord Michael
Elminster

ROFL

"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
Lord Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:22 PM   #10
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomi View Post
Have to disagree with a couple of those...

A dwarf with a longsword just doesn't seem right.
Keldorn with Firetooth is just wasting Carsomyr.

I would agree that Mazzy is probably better off with a short bow and keeping out of melee for the most part.
I agree entirely

KORGAN: main: axe of unyielding +5 off: crom fayer +5
- you now have a dwarf tank with heavy HP and 25 str (look at the tables to see the benefits. Axe gives +2 AC as well and has a chance to instant kill and is easily a better weapon than long sword +5

KELDORN: Holy Avenger +6 quickswap with longbow +5
- +6 sword can go straight through the mantle spell, dispels magic and handsomely buffs Mag Res. Longbow quickswap is handy for softening up targets before melee.

ANOMEN: Flail of Ages +5 and Large shield. While you cannot haste FoA you can use greater whirlwind. Why give up 4 AC points for another weapon that will use up two of your attacks and deliver a weaker and less accurate blow? Great choice here.

MAGE: Staff of the Magi... not much competition unless a thief or fighter multiclass would like staff of ram for some damage...

YOSHIMO: celestial fury... for how long you keep him.

MINSC: If you don't have Korgan than apply the strategy to minsc. Other best option is Longsword +5 and Large shield. You have to fiddle with his proficiencies but its worth it!

IMPORTANT!!! READ THIS!!! LESSON ABOUT DUAL WIELDING!!!
Let it be known to all that don't realise, dual wielding is misunderstood by alot. The only benefit dual wielding will give during higher levels is when it improves the main hand (i.e. crom fayer). When you get greater whirl wind it sets your attacks to ten per round. This is regardless of dual, single or two hand. Ask yourself, what does more damage in ten attacks per round. A two-handed weapon with a higher damage margin? A single weapon with optimal THACO and a shield to lower your AC by 4 (which is a fair bit!) or have a quarter of your attacks used with a second weapon that is at most as powerful as the main hand and gives you a lower THACO for these hits, no two-handed damage and no armor class benefits to compensate this AC loss.

Dual wield can be very powerful but you must chose your weapons wisely for high level characters! Low level, grand mastery and 3 points in dual wield, when hasted will give you a nice two ApR which is great but remember when your attacks will eventually be at a fixed 10, this becomes obsolite...
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote