Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-08-2003, 05:11 PM   #1
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Your thoughts? I'm liking several teams this year after our first big sunday. The Bills looked tough as nails yesterday getting the 31-0 shutout. If their offense can keep it up I think they have the defense to at least make the playoffs this year.
I'm liking the steelers as well. Any team with Ward, Burress, and Randle El is always a threat, If Maddox can have even a decent year, I'de say they are playoff bound yet again.
How about the titans? cleaning house with the Raiders. Gannon looked lost at times, and their O line was virtually nonexistant until the end of the 4th quarter. Steve McNair was definitely impressive scrambling and throwing, and the defense looked pretty solid, bring heavy blitzes and good coverage on the mid range to long pass routes, but where was Eddie George? Either way if this team can stay healthy they are in the hunt for a super bowl
Look at the mighty mighty Texans. Just goes to show how nice it is to be underestimated. Miami looked all together terrible out there, not that the texans even looked all that great, but there is some young talent on the teams, and if that developes who knows. If Miami keeps playing like this don't be surprised with them not making the playoffs. My prediction is that they keep playing like that, and ricky williams getting hurt, but that is another matter. . .
The Bengals are looking like the same old Bungles, and really besides Clinton portis Denver was pretty much the same. Jake 'the snake' Plummer was very unimpressive in his Denver debut, but Cory Dillon didn't do much of anything so it let the Broncos take this one. I see the Bengals getting another good draft pick next year, and the Broncos going as far as Clinton Portis can carry them by himself, which despite his immense talent, isn't very far.
What happened to the highly touted Rams? Kurt warner sacked 6 times and fumbled 6 times, discovered after the game he had a concussion, maybe thats the best thing that could have happened to the Rams, but if Marshall faulk doesn't get anything going this could be a really long season for this talented team. Luckily the giants were able to put a hurting on them despite Warner's looking good on paper but not in the game 342 yards passing. Tiki barber's running definitely the key to this vitory for the giants.
Another surprise, to me at least, was the Vikings coming out on top of the Packers. Randy moss and his 150 yards and a TD probably had a little something to do with that, as well as the 4 interceptions Farve gave up. But you have to give credit to the Minnesota Defense for forcing all those intercpetions from one of the game's best quarterbacks.
If Alanta can stay competitive, at least .500 until Vick gets back they have a strong chance of the playoffs, and they showed that by beating up on an overmatched looking Dallas team here in week one.
The 49ers bowled over the Bears pretty much as expected. I mean come on when Kordell stewart is your starting quarterback do you really expect to win? Garcia was fairly impressive as was owens in this easy rout.
I can't say enough bad about the Browns vs Colts game, both teams struggled to do anythng offensively, and thats never the way you win. I mean come on 3-3 at halftime. I'de rather be sleeping than watch that, and don't think it was low scoring because of solid defense. It was just really really bad offense. . .
KC destroyed the charges as Priest holmes showed up and Tomlinson didn't. And people were worried about that knee injury? But is he enough to stay in the hunt of a title? We'll have to see.
As for Carolina vs Jacksonville both teams looked tough, it should be intersting watching them throughout the year. I still need more time to make up my mind if either is for real this year.
That leaves with with the game of the week. Eagles Vs Buccaneers on MOnday night. This should be a battle for the ages, can McNabb scramble out of the clutches of the L's most potent Defense? We shall have to sit in breathless anticipation to see. more on this one tomorrow. Let me know what you guys think after week one. I know there are some football fans out there.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:14 PM   #2
GForce

erm, a mild longshot. i'm rooting for the seattle seahawks. at least the playoffs? pretty please. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-08-2003, 06:25 PM   #3
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by GForce:
erm, a mild longshot. i'm rooting for the seattle seahawks. at least the playoffs? pretty please. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Good luck to you, but I wouldn't bet on it
Old 09-08-2003, 06:46 PM   #4
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Yeah, the Tennessee/Oakland and Houston/Miami games were very exciting. McNair in particular, was very impressive, always seemed to have an out of the Raiders' pressure. As for the Texans-Dolphins...a field goal on the last play...sheesh, I thought that only happened in movies.

My highlight of the night was a Buffalo D-Linesman picking off a pass and running 50 yards for a touchdown - the guy weighed 360 lbs (and I'm not exaggerating! [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) I am looking forward to tonights game. Quite possibly the two best teams in the league (top four IMO are Tampa, Philadelphia, Tennessee and Kansas City.)

Sort of off-topic but we also had an incredible game in the CFL last night. Winnipeg came from behind to beat Toronto. At one point, the Blue Bombers (Winnipeg) tried an onside kick, and the kicker put it off the helmet of an Argonaut defender. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2003, 08:19 PM   #5
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
quote:
Originally posted by GForce:
Good luck to you, but I wouldn't bet on it [/QUOTE]Don't be so quick to shoot down Seattle. Alexander is looking 100% again, and Hasselback is looking decent at QB. They are a strong potential for a wild card slot.

The surprise to me was Harrington, even though he was facing Arizona. He was white hot.

Teams looking solid so far in my mind: Steelers, Titans, Chiefs, Giants, Buffalo (with Minnesota and Seattle potentially up there).

Teams looking terrible so far: St. Louis, Arizona, San Diego, New England, Cincinnati (with Green Bay and Jets potentially down there).

Eagles are my favorite team, but I honestly don't give them a snowball's chance in hell of beating the Bucs. Barring one of the hot teams really turning it on, the Bucs may just repeat. Duce Staley really hurt the Eagles with his holdout, and their defense lost some key players. The Bucs are relatively intact, so they should run over Philly. [img]graemlins/repuke.gif[/img]

[ 09-08-2003, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Nerull ]
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 09-08-2003, 08:26 PM   #6
cormack
Dungeon Master

I would predict that a not well known team will make it to the Super-bowl at least on one side of the leauge this year. VERY good descriptions on team play everyone and correct in all aspects, still only week one.

I would say at this point the refs are stepping back a bit so far and thats good.

Cormack's Superbowl pick;

Steelers vs 49ers.

The big tuna can't will his force upon the Cowboys and Houston can't kick a birth into the playoffs as well.... GB will dominate at times and still not have what it takes. Gannon can't get it done and the Snake won't step into his passes.

Good luck to all with the ups and downs of watching a season of football.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:35 AM   #7
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Yeah that guy from buffalo was Defensive Lineman Sam Adams, rumbling for a touchdown. It always great when one of the big guys score. the funniest thing is that wasn't his first touchdown, he had a fumble recovery for a touchdown in like 99 or 98 or something
Old 09-09-2003, 01:12 PM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I'm not much of football fan, but my fiance is... I guess the only reason I'm not a 'football widow' so to speak is that he works on Monday nights! [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

Now don't any of you suggest taping the games! Ack!
Old 09-09-2003, 01:51 PM   #9
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

I went over my buddy's house to watch the game last night and his girlfriend was over there and a couple of our friends and all she did was lay there and sleep the whole time, well except for one part where she went in the other room to watch some reality show or something. It was pretty funny.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:04 PM   #10
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
I went over my buddy's house to watch the game last night and his girlfriend was over there and a couple of our friends and all she did was lay there and sleep the whole time, well except for one part where she went in the other room to watch some reality show or something. It was pretty funny.
[img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img]

LOL

Sounds like my ex. "Why do you have to watch that crap? What is so great about a bunch of guys hitting each other?"

My answer: "What is so great about the stuff you watch? Same cheesy plot, essentially the same characters, just different actors and not a bit of realism to any of it..." (she loves romantic comedies).

Nice arguement on that one.

Oh, and can I pick it or what (Eagles v.s. Bucks)? I told you the Eagles didn't stand a snowball's chance in hell! And I'm a fan, too, that's what makes it worse. I now add Tampa Bay to my list of teams looking solid (can't quite bring myself to add Philly to the teams looking terrible; I do have to have some faith in them). I just would like them to win one championship before I die (especially considering all of the bad seasons where I stayed with them faithfully).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin