Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2002, 01:17 PM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Tomas raised a good point. What server admins need to do is specify what kind of games they are running, and what the appropriate levels for them are. Most games are currently open from levels 1 - 20 on local vault, which means that a level 1 character starting out can and probably will come up against a level 20 character with all the requisite weapons. If they're really unlucky they will come up against a pathetic griefer (a PKer who preys on those weaker than himself) and these guys are what give all PvPers a bad name.

Having said that, Tomas - you're talking about high-level PvP/RPGing where your local vault character is customized to the max. In these types of games they shouldn't really be allowing anyone less then level 18 or so - because then the scenario Draconis talks about begins to eventuate.

This happened to me when I played Z's Undermountain mod with a level 20 character - there's no PvP, but the other guys in my group ranged from levels 4 to 15. I noticed that I was doing all the killing and so logged out and back in, using a more appropriate character.

It would be good for local vault servers to be more specific about the levels they are allowing in their games (esp. if they are not running persistent worlds but specific modules) - this would fix up these imbalances.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 07:02 PM   #12
Tomas Darknite
Dungeon Master

After having said all that I agree with the both of you. I try to avoid local serevrs that allow 1-20 lvl characters and opt more for the ones that allow 10-20 or 15-20, there's not many but there are some. as for rp (which I prefer) I really like playing with a mix of high and low level characters. for instance i will take a low level rogue say 6-10 and play with a high level ranger or fighter. I can scout out ahead and when the fighting starts allow the tanks to take over and i hide in the bushes (my rogue's a lover not a fighter) I really enjoy the imersion of this type of play which to me seems more on the realastic side of events in realtime.

The problem seems to be in where do you draw the line as Obsidion pointed out. I think alot of servers are starting to do as MEM sugested and restrict level 20 players from getting on, I've noticed that they are more and more going to level 18 or 19 instead of 20.

But I think the real way to level things out is to not allow items with Immunities, damage reduction and resistance in the game. everything else seems to be working ok. I really think those 3 things take away from the fun and tactics of the game. I am guilty of some of these things myself allow the only immunities i use are the ones that give me a chance against dragons and evil mages.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:21 PM   #13
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Well, when it deals with PvP, I have to agree with what you said about limiting the game to a certain area of levels. But if you don't have PvP, I don't see the harm in bringing in higher level with lower level. You allow the lower level to see how higher level fights go (thereby helping with their tactics) and you also help them to level faster. I have been in Lake Linaria with a 20 level and tried to help a 5th level character "SURVIVE" until he could handle on his own. He was very frustrated that he couldn't handle the higher level fights. I let him take a few on himself and if something happened, I was there to help him out. Some areas, I had to fend for myself, but in others, I just stayed behind and let him do the fighting. When things got bad, I was there. Just depends on how you look at it. What I really hate is when a Level 20 comes in and will hog all the action or experience for themself. Why does a 20 need to take the XP? I mean quests and not fighting here, btw. Anyways, that's another reason for the frustration factor. Besides, even though they don't have PvP on Z's server, some people can still get attacked by a character in one fashion or another. I already explained the Gate issue earlier. I'm sure there are others as well. Especially against lower level characters. Even more of a reason to band together. Some servers are limiting spells and other stuff just because of that, but then you wash down the 20th level character. What if you took forever to get that option available and you get on a server saying you can't do it anymore. Jeez. Some of the people can make it really un-fun for a lot of the people.