Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-28-2001, 08:54 PM   #1
Synthos
Manshoon

I have the ultimate strategy for deafeating MindFlayers.. I just did the Secret Sewer section and wasted them all without one of them even TOUCHING ME! That's right the only one that is brain sucked is Minsc, except that's how he was born, I don't even think mind flayers could suck intelligence from THAT one.

Here's what a did:
Loaded a good melee fighter (a paladin, my main char) up with AC reducing equipment and boots of speed.
Loaded everyone else up with ranged weapons and ammo.
Casted Chaotic Commands on my Paladin
Walk my paladin along each corridor and lured one or two mind flayers back to my party waiting the the previous room, stopped at the door, closed it (optional if you want to haste, other spells or change your mind) and then opened it.
My paladin would proceed to get one or two hits on a flayer while the rest of the party pelted it with missle weapons. The poor brain suckers never had a chance they went down in a about two seconds each, even the Alhoon and Ilithids.
My paladin wasn't even touched at all, nothing got past the chaotic commands spell and they died before they could say 'Achoo!'
Wash, Rinse and Repeat until every single one of those monsters look like pincushions.

This is the ultimate strategy! I have yet to test it in the under dark.. I can't wait!
Brain Suckers Beware.. If you want some screen shots of the carnage afterwards check out this page...
http://www.geocities.com/synthos2001/mindflayers.htm
Site SHOULD work.. If not I'll look at it

Have fun, use it well :-D

------------------

Quote:
"Est Sularis Oth Mithas"-->Honour Is My Life
Old 10-28-2001, 08:58 PM   #2
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Or just send a modairakens sword into the room and will just kill them all

------------------

jabidas = Sorcerer of clan Aerie thing

Also I will have nothing to do with sulpher powder and secret priesthoods so dont even try it.

And dont worry soon you shall all be part of my ever growing army of the undead.
Old 10-28-2001, 09:01 PM   #3
Kitty
Manshoon

Chaotic Commands is indeed the way agains those Mind Flayers! But remember...they protect against psionic blast, but not against Intelligence Drain (this happens only when you fight a mind flayer hand-to-hand). If one of your party members get hit by a Mind Flayer, have him get out of the way and attack with ranged weapons!
Old 10-28-2001, 09:07 PM   #4
Synthos
Manshoon

The thing is that your fight won't get hit because the flayer dies before he can hit you.. They really die in seconds.. If you haven't noticed, sometimes when you hit someone it interupts his attack, with 5 people pounding him with missle weapons and one in melee they haven't got a chance. But yes, you do have to be careful if you have a bad AC and get hit.
Mordekian's sword works well too, haven't tried it though

------------------

Quote:
"Est Sularis Oth Mithas"-->Honour Is My Life
Old 10-28-2001, 09:42 PM   #5
Montravant
Manshoon

Heres an much more simple strategy for mind flayers, Summon 5 invisible stalkers and let them attack and load ur party with missile weapons, fire away .

------------------
The Key To Imortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering

-Montravant
Old 10-29-2001, 01:36 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Reminds me of the time I had a Blade, I casted Mislead and sent him alone to fight the Mind Flayers and the Umber Hulks. I casted Chaotic Command on him first though. Due to the Mislead spell, my Blade had total invisibility, and the Mind Flayers and Umber Hulks could not see me, and thus could not engage me in melee combat. They still casted their Psionics and Confusion, but I was protected by Chaotic Command, and so my Blade had free reign over them as he hacked and slashed his way to victory.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Cavalier meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a Blade and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of Aerie Loving Sacred Band!
-------------------------
Party Sorcerer Spell List, v1.03
Dragon Slaying Tips
For your daily dosage of insanity,
Old 10-29-2001, 03:39 AM   #7
Lifetime
Red Dragon

If you have a decent thief for a character, neither Mindflayers NOR Umber Hulks are smart or perceptive enough to notice an invisible/creeping thief. I did the entire Mindflayer area in the Underdark and the Sewars with an Assassin, a ring of invisibility, some potions of invisibility and a Cloak of Non-Detection. I just hit, ran, hid, hit, ran, hid.. you get the drill..I'd just run away and hide behind a corner and kill the next flayer/hulk, and rinse and repeat..

------------------
No-Name Face
Old 10-29-2001, 06:05 AM   #8
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

--wanted to say thanx to jabidas & Dundee Slaytern for those strats - I felt like a schmuck when the best I could think of was cast Invisible on two non-fighters, and have them block the hallway so the rest of us could safely throw rocks and sticks... the MindFlayers don't seem to know how to suck brains from invisible people; and psionics didn't do anything 'cause all they had to do was stand still and be a wall. I mean it works but it doesn't have a lot of class
Old 10-29-2001, 06:50 AM   #9
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

I summoned monsters to block a hallway had some one open the door then retreated and blasted them with missiles.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:44 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Barb:
I summoned monsters to block a hallway had some one open the door then retreated and blasted them with missiles.
Just wanted to add to this, Skeleton Warriors and Mordenkenain's Swords work very well.

And to quote some other boardie,

Quote:
Say after me, "They have no brains, they have no brains."