Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-28-2001, 09:21 PM   #1
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

this post is intended for the veterans, so stop reading if you don't want anything inadvertantly revealed.

first, since this community seems both close and cool, an introduction...

nah, screw it. i'll fit in eventually

on to the queries...

re: custom kits etc via infinity engine editors... the tutorial was rather terse and while i understood most of it, there remain two sections i am at a loss to comprehend. the first is modifying the dialog file to add in the kit name, description, etc. i see where all of the standard kits are but do not know how/where to add the new one and am hesitant to experiment considering how specific where even spaces have had to go in the 2da files. the second problem concerns adding/changing abilities/immunities etc. of course i've been able to tinker and figure out which ones are for backstab, detect evil, etc, but if there is a site somewhere that lists these abilities and their codes i would much appreciate its location.

-

the first time i played SoA i got the jaheira/harper quest very early in chapter 2, so early, in fact, that it interrupted the nalia keep quest (and the subsequent harper fight kicked my arse repeatedly). now on my third try through the game i'm on day 26 and have finished all of the chapter 2 and 3 quests that i know of and can't run into maronia (harper chick that grabs jaheira) to save my life. i'd like to get this out of the way before i go off to spellhold and the underdark. can anyone tell me what the conditions are for this to be triggered?

on a related note, both the aerie and viconia romances have developed quickly in previous games, but jaheira's seems to be stalled. is her romance the slowest to develop intentionally or am i doing something wrong? again, i'm about to embark on chapter 4, i never took aerie in, and i snubbed viconia once jaheira posed the "tell her you dont feel that way about her" comment.

-

here my newbieness will glow, but exactly how is the demi-lich supposed to be killed? i referred back to my ancient tome (Monster Manual 2!) and the most likely was the power word kill from an ethereal mage. well, with the boots of etherealness and a pw:k scroll my efforts were still futile. i'd just like to kill it and move on.

-

thanks in advance for the help. cheers.

------------------
blessed are the cheesemakers
Old 05-28-2001, 09:25 PM   #2
Kerlyssa
Manshoon

Use one of the scrolls of magic protection or a Berserk fighter to take the attacks from the demi-lich. Also, it can only be hit with +4 or greater weapons.

BTW, the Jaheira romance is notoriously buggy. I only got it to work once. Try the patch.
Old 05-28-2001, 09:31 PM   #3
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Welcome! Its nice to have a new person on the board!

About your question on kits, I'm at a loss myself, but maybe one of the others could help you.

About the Harper quest however..To my memory the Harper quest is not based on specific times, but I do believe that if you've completed most of the quests in 26 days, you'll have a long time to wait before you get anywhere because there's almost always a long gap inbetween encounters. Personally I never completed the Harper quest, because it was taking too long and I had nothing else to do since I had already done all the other quests. The item you get at the end of it is really good though.

Jahiera has a really long winded romance too..another thing I didnt finish. I guess elves have the time to be slow and steady unlike us hasty ole humans

And with Kangaxxx the demi-Lich, I believe that you have to hit him with +4 weapons or better(the Sling of Everaad and the Carsomyr come to mind).
You'll have to find a way around his constant imprisonment spells, because I dont believe he ever runs out of them. Maybe you could try certain protection combinations..(hint: Imprisonment is in the Abjuration spell school)

------------------
Why?

[This message has been edited by Lifetime (edited 05-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Lifetime (edited 05-28-2001).]
Old 05-28-2001, 09:33 PM   #4
Gimmick
Dungeon Master

I can't help with the kit editing, but I think I can help with your other problems.

Regarding Jaheria romance and the Harpers, certain things must happen before the plot continues. I suggest doing the following if you haven't already.

1) Go to the docks, and speak with the vendor outside of Valygar's home. He will sell you a necklace for Jaheria.

2) Go to any outside zone and rest to trigger the bandit/Jaheria hostage subplot. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe this subplot must occur before the Harper chick comes for Jaria.

Regarding the demilich, you need +4 weapons or better to damage him. Staff of Magi, Staff of Ryn, +5 Holy Avenger, +5 darts summoned by cloak of stars, the sling of everard (from bonus merchant), and the flame tongue are the only weapons I know of that can be found in chapter 2 or 3 that harm him. Of course, Mordekainen's swords will work.

I also recommend that you summon a bunch of critters to be imprisonment fodder once he turns into a demilich.
Old 05-28-2001, 09:35 PM   #5
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

go to www.teambg.com and download Infinity explorer. I used it to create my kit the Wolfguard and it lists all the correct file names to use.

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-28-2001, 09:42 PM   #6
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

sweet. thanks peeps!
Old 05-28-2001, 09:52 PM   #7
Kerlyssa
Manshoon

Summoning critters is a baaad idea. There is a summoning limit, and imprisoned critters count against it. (ie, Kangazz imprison five wolves or what, you can't ever summon again in that game.)