Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-21-2003, 02:36 PM   #1
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I know this always drives people nuts and into a panic when they hear "PAY to POST on Ironworks" but hear me out before you blow your stacks.
Now that Ziroc has started hosting this site on his own would it seem out of the question to set it up somewhat like Game Spy.
What I mean by this is make the forums so that the free side gets advertising and A pay side that has no advertising. Everybody would still see the same thing and be able to post and join in to every and all forums except, the free side would have Adds for games, movies, and what ever would like to sell on the site with the option to click on the sites if you want. Then Have a pay side that looks the way Ironworks looks today witout the Add space. Give the members A choice and have a monthly charge of $2.50 or save and get a 6 months subscription for $12.00 and save $3.00 or a year for $20.00 and save $10.00. It would take the burden of trying to come up with the $280.00 every month off of Ziroc, then again it may even make "Z" and his family A little extra money on top of paying for the site.
Then there is the NO PAY side. The income from the adds will support the site for the most part and everyone that just can't afford to buy A subscription will not have to, they will just have a few adds to look at when they are on the main page of each forum or, at the top and sides of the free forum site.

Remember this is just an Idea to allow "Ziroc" to have the Ironworks Pay for itself and then he won't have to plead with everyone for money to keep the site on-line every month. I don't know Maybe he likes to try to pry open our wallets every month or so But I think this would make everybody happy and maybe allow "Ziroc" to Buy bigger and better servers and upgrade the Ironworks the way he would like without taking food out of his familys mouth.

[ 07-21-2003, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 07-21-2003, 02:44 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
You seem to forget that there's a lot of youngsters on this board, who only have a little pocketmoney from their parents. Matter of fact, i think the majority of the IW members are very young. It wouldn't be fair to them now would it ?
Old 07-21-2003, 03:12 PM   #3
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Jhonny READ THE WHOLE PAGE everything would still be free it would just have adds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2003, 03:15 PM   #4
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Arrow

I don't see how that would solve the problem..
Old 07-21-2003, 03:15 PM   #5
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Galadria suggested something like this and drew a very angry response.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:53 PM   #6
mysticelt
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Galadria suggested something like this and drew a very angry response.
Is this why I have never had chance to meet Galadria? She never posts in the common areas and sticks to the gaming areas. It seems that unpopular ideas are not welcome and/or tolerated here.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:03 PM   #7
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I think ads would amazingly dint the popularity of ironworks. Especially pop-ups. If they were pop-up ads then they would kill it. I just think the people who do have the ability to contribute should do so. I mean I can't as i dont have any money really, let alone a pay pal account/card/cheque's etc. (One of the ones too young for that )
Old 07-21-2003, 04:08 PM   #8
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

I wouldn't mind ads, as long as they wouldn't be pop-ups or flashing... those give me a headache. But otherwise they wouldn't bother me. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2003, 04:18 PM   #9
Bruce The Aussie
Fzoul Chembryl

doesn't bother me either way...as long as the ads are pop ups. if Z stays with donations, i'll donate when i can...if Z make a premium ad free site for about $20 a year..i'd pay that. its onyl £12. i could afford it. as long as i never have to deal with pop ups at IW i will always return [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2003, 04:27 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The way I see it, if this forum and it's upkeep is costing Ziroc time and money, then eventually we will fall.

He has the right and privilage to turn this forum into a part-time business if he chooses, and make some money back for his family's sake, and I know he deserves it. He has a wife and a house and a life to look after and we are members of his favorite hobby. He should not have to pay anything out of his own pocket, in my opinion. We should.