Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-26-2001, 03:34 AM   #11
Whailor

You cannot get a virus in your PC by just editing the .ini file. Simply copy the original to some other folder or under some other name (i.e. "baldur.ORI") and then add the line. It's just as editing the text document, add a line and done. It's even less "cheating" as with Shadowkeeper, because these CLUAConsole commands are 'built-in' by Bioware already. Let's not call CLUAConsole "cheating", but "adjusting" or "debugging" then heh..
Old 11-26-2001, 06:10 AM   #12
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SookmaCook:
How do u do that??
I can only get links by typing in the URLs!!

Simply click the quote button on Mitro's post to see how it is done.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:37 AM   #13
Melusine
Dracolisk

Whailor is right - you should stick to CluaConsoling first.
If you're afraid of cheating, Shadowkeeper can cheat a hell of a lot more than using the CLUA codes, and has a much bigger chance of screwing up yuor game if you don't know what you're doing.
One thing though, Whailor - you cannot change to name of the copy to Baldur.ori or whatever - that's the extension you're talking about!

Sookma, trust me on this: just follow the instructions I gave and NOTHING can go wrong. You cannot get a virus by doing it, if anything downloading stuff from the internet can! You have a backup, remember, so NOTHING can go wrong. Just copy the baldur.ini file before you edit, and paste it into the BG folder again (it will say Copy of Baldur).
Old 11-26-2001, 06:46 AM   #14
Whailor

Perhaps it is so Melusine, I just took the name out of the blue. I don't remember what the name was.. Basically he just can make a backup copy, though I never even bother with that. I mean how irrecoverable would be adding one simple line to the file? [img]smile.gif[/img] If it's bad, then I just delete it..

In any case, ShadowKeeper is a nifty little program, but has much bigger potential. I sure remember overdoing it BIG time, way back in BG1, with the GateKeeper. Whoopsie, got a bit too power hungry back then. Ruined the only and main savegame hehe. It's hard to resist the fact that you can do so much with the chars, having that "tool" (hmm, "tool".. one arrogant brat kept me calling like this in Docks district, I sure demonstrated what a "tool" can do heheh). CLUAConsole is somewhat safer, just don't abuse and overuse it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2001, 07:12 AM   #15
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor:
Perhaps it is so Melusine, I just took the name out of the blue. I don't remember what the name was.. Basically he just can make a backup copy, though I never even bother with that. I mean how irrecoverable would be adding one simple line to the file? [img]smile.gif[/img] If it's bad, then I just delete it..

N no no, what I meant is: of course you can change the file's name, but not the extension, which is what you did! For example, you cannot change the name of a Word Document called melusine.doc to melusine.ori because the extension indicates what kind of document it is [img]smile.gif[/img]

Apart from that you're right.
SK has much more potential and possibilities, but for someone who's afraid to even edit his baldur.ini file, it may be a bit too much, especially as (like you illustrated with your BG1 story) it's much easier to ruin a savegame using Sk as it is using CLUAConsole.
Old 11-26-2001, 08:48 AM   #16
Whailor

quote:
N no no, what I meant is: of course you can change the file's name, but not the extension, which is what you did! For example, you cannot change the name of a Word Document called melusine.doc to melusine.ori because the extension indicates what kind of document it is

Ah you mean it that way.. No, maybe I explained myself tad bad. What I meant was that if he wants to be on the safe side, and thinks that adding one line to the .ini file will ruin the game and what not else, then he can make a backup copy of the .ini file, by taking original 'baldurs.ini' file and either copying it to another location, or copy it under other name, i.e. 'baldur.ori'. That way he will have 2 files, 2 copies of that .ini file, either in different locations, or under different names. Then he can edit the 'baldur.ini' file, add the extra line and not worry.

Phew, done. That's what I meant
Old 11-26-2001, 09:30 AM   #17
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by SookmaCook:
How do u do that??
I can only get links by typing in the URLs!!

In case you didn't get it.

http://www.mud-master.com/shadowkeeper/Home.html
Old 11-26-2001, 12:17 PM   #18
Tyronius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ive never had thi problem,, but on the other hand ,,, how far are you in that dungeon, if your only at the acorn part it wouldnt be that bigg of a difference if you just start over and try again, i mean it took me like a day to finish this dungeon,,, its not that hard, but then it could be a seriouse bug and you will need to use the balder.ini file cheat or shadowkeeper,, but you really dont need to get the acorns because the xp for ths mini quest isnt that great so what ever you want i gave you 3 options
Old 11-28-2001, 11:41 PM   #19
LennonCook
Jack Burton

OK thanx for the help- ive used shadow keeper to get the in...
And for those of you who keep saying the xp isnt all that good- i dont care about the XP!!! I was wanting to help the dryads so ii could help the Djinni and get the swird of chaos+2!!!!!!!!