Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-12-2005, 10:09 AM   #11
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
The two spells that really help against the guardian are call lightning and static charge. You have ranger and druid who can do both. Here is a tactic. This tactic assumes you use other buffs (ANTI-FEAR), offensive spells and so on. Semi-cheese (not real cheese). I used it only the first time I played.

quote:

had my druid memorize all call lightning and static charge (5 CL and 4 SC in total)... have wizrd memorize outiluke's resilient sphere

rest... then have the druid cast all call lightnings and static charges BEFORE summoning the guardian.... summon the guardian, then have the guy who summoned it stand at the top of the stairs and cast outilukes resilient sphere on him... he will block Chahopek from advancing.... have the druid stand around... since call lightning and static charge repeat themselves every 10 rounds at about this time they will start hitting chahopek again.... you can help with some other spells... thats basically it
Just a clarification. The guy hidden in the otilukes resilient spehre is not thre to draw the dragon's attacks. If you have the patch the dragon will not attack anyone in the sphere. The reason the guy in sphere is there is to stand between you and the dragon. The dragon is big and won't be able to pass through and reach you. And if he teleports you change sides again. Always have the sphere between you and dragon so he cant hit you and simply kill the dragon with call lightning/static charge and aided with other spells.
Remember: You must cast all call lightning and static charge before summoning the dragon, else the druid can get easily disrupted while casting in dragon's presence.
[/QUOTE]That's a pretty good strategy, I wouldn't know about it 'cause I om only now using my first druid [img]tongue.gif[/img] . I never liked those spells much, but with that method they sure sound deadly!
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:34 PM   #12
Magness
Quintesson

Vernon, a few thoughts on your party.

1. Yes, a pure fighter may not be the truly most power-packed, efficient melee killing machine, but if he's got good stats, he should more than hold his own.

2. Yes, clerics are probably better than druids, but druids can be very effective characters as well. That said, I probably wouldn't substitute a druid for a cleric, but I might sub a druid for a second arcane spellcaster.

3. Unlike some, I like rogues. I like pure rogues. I like fighter/rogues. I like ranger/rogues. They can be very useful, IF, IF, IF you play them to their strengths. If you have a pure rogue, you really need to try to take advantage of its sneak attack ability. I'm not so sure that I like a rogue/bard mix. On one hand, you've got a nice symbiosis of rogue skills between the two classes. However, the rogue levels are impeding the growth of his bardish sons and spellcasting. I'd have either gone with a pure bard or a something more rogue-ish. This particular MC isn't one of my favorites.

4. Sorcs. When you've got a Sorc, the rest of the party ends up being his or her bodyguards.

5. Wizzy. A wizzy makes a nice compliment to a Sorc. The Sorc ends up being the true nuker, while the Wizzy often ends up filling in the holes in the Sorc's spell memory.

6. Ranger. Unlike others, I like rangers. Yes, they're not particularly powerful as a class. But they have one thing that other warrior classes don't have, the ability to be stealthy. In my parties, I've always liked teaming up my rogue with my ranger as a little scouting duo. But unlike sending only a rogue to scout and scoot, I'd have my ranger and rogue often scout and assassinate from stealth. They'd start many battles, though not all, while the rest of the part held back at first and then came running to the sounds of battle.

Vernon, your party is perhaps a little too magical for my tastes. I tend to prefer a very balanced party. One that can handle itself in melee and have enough to arcane firepower to really hurt the enemy. You really only have one true tank, the fighter. The ranger may or may not be one. (A stealthy ranger must wear lighter armor and ends up not being as great as a front line tank.)

That said, with all that arcane firepower, your party should be able to do lots of damage, if handled properly.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:34 AM   #13
Vernon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

did i say my druid can trasform into a shambling mound.
Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:50 AM   #14
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

...Yea, you did.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #15
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty4:
That's a pretty good strategy, I wouldn't know about it 'cause I om only now using my first druid [img]tongue.gif[/img] . I never liked those spells much, but with that method they sure sound deadly!
Of course the call lightning/static charge method can be used as an addition to normal dragon-fighting, without resorting to Otiluke's sphere. Just remember that if you save and reload all the lightnings and charges will be gone, so save before casting them.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:30 PM   #16
Vernon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Okay here my party

Henun Jubio Level 12
Fighter Level 10
Socerer Level 1
Illusionist level 1

Current Effect aka C E
:Regenerating aka regen
:Freedom of Movement
ro From Cold