Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2002, 11:40 AM   #1
Sir Goulum
John Locke

i really wanna know cuz i dont want to fight the vampires!
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 11:56 AM   #2
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

slight spoiler

It doesn't matter, which side you take. If you take Bodhi's side, you fight the thieves, if you choose the shadow thieves, you fight Bodhi.The rewards are al little bit different. But in the end, there is no difference which side you have chosse.
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 12:00 PM   #3
Sir Goulum
John Locke

what are the rewards for each?
Old 02-08-2002, 12:00 PM   #4
fable
Quintesson

...And you have to fight the vampires, eventually, just not in chapter 3. Note, if you side with Bodhi, the Shadow Thieves may actually offer a *tougher* battle. Vampires can be dispatched relatively easily when you have a cleric with such high level spells as False Dawn. The very best thieves include some very decent mages who can walk over a good party that underestimates 'em.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 12:09 PM   #5
Sir Goulum
John Locke

What else is good for dispatching vampires if your highest cleric is level 5 and doesn't have false dawn?
Old 02-08-2002, 12:09 PM   #6
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

I actually never worked for Bodhi, so i cannot help you there (I think, you get an elven chain mail+1, which you can loot from your prime target and some other stuff). Working for the shadow guild earns you the amulett of power (protection against level drain !!) and some other stuff, which i cannot remember quite now. And don't forget the Mace of Disruption, when you are in the grave yard.

@fable: ...."And you have to fight the vampires, eventually, just not in chapter 3" I wanted to express this with "In the end there is no difference which side you choose"
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 05:29 AM   #7
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

i routinely side with bodhi now, dropping off keldorn or mazzy temporarily so they won't leave when i join (they're silent on the matter when they rejoin). whether thief or vampire, the end is the same: you get to spellhold.

advantages of siding with vampires: you get the mace of disruption early (great for the umar hills); you can get a +3 throwing axe that you can NOT get working for the thieves; you only fight in the vampire crypts once, sparing you the boredom and redundancy of doing it twice; the fights in the guild are far more challenging, varied, and fun than smiting down the undead; no more vampire ambushes in the city at night; the satisfaction and notoriety of taking down the largest thieves' guild this side of waterdeep.

advantages of siding with thieves: you get the amulet of power and +2 ring of protection earlier than with vampires; you will have potential but unneeded allies versus the vamps when you return from spellhold.

some people claim that siding with the thieves nets you more xp, but i'm willing to bet money that the difference, if there is one, is less than 5k. and don't buy into the b.s. argument that one side is "good" and the other is "evil"; that's like saying the mafia are good guys compared to serial killers.

winner, imo: the vampires. and if you want the thief stronghold, do the maevar quest etc before choosing a side (iow, don't go to the graveyard at night with more than 15k in your pocket).