Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-01-2001, 01:07 PM   #1
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

I was thinking of starting a new multiplayer party (no import!!) consisting of 4 members, and play with it on insane difficulty throughout the game. Here is my first thought:

Elf Archer (I haven't played with this one except in the dungeon, but I really liked it)
Human Swashbuckler/mage
Human Ranger/cleric
Human Kensai/thief

The archer will use the Tuigan bow, and a two-handed sword, or maybe dualwield longswords and switch to Tuigan bow every now and then. If I can find a good armor for her, I will definately have her in my party, otherwise I will replace her with a berserker. She must be able to tank.

The swashbuckler/mage is useful for taking care of the traps, open doors and pick pockets in the beginning of the game. It is good that he can specialize in weapons, because he will be quite useful as a fighter in the beginning of the game. In the middle and end game, I will only use him for spell-casting and shooting arrows. He will put his proficiency points in quarter-staff , katana and short bow.

The ranger/cleric will have all druid and cleric spells. She can summon nymphs (very good to have), elementals (extremely good to have), and can cast cleric spells like blade-barrier (the best cleric spell I think) and sanctuary. She will also heal the party and remove stuns, poison etc. To choose a pure cleric over this character would be a serious mistake.

Last but definately not the least is the kensai/thief. He is the obstacle-remover that kills powerful mages, trolls, greater wolfweres, liches, archers and dragons like they were goblins (well, maybe not dragons). As soon as he becomes a thief, there is no stopping to him. I would use him as I have used my last kensai/thief, that is, he will dualwield Katanas and hammers (hammers are for golems of course) and throw axes when it becomes too rough for him.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My other thought for a party:

Human Kensai/mage (the best combo in the game)
Human Monk (never tried this one, but I hear it is great)
Half-orc fighter/thief
Korgan

The Kensai/mage will be an incredible fighter throughout the game. He has good THACO, and can specialize in weapons. With spells like stoneskin, mirror image, blur, ghost armor and tenser transformation, he will be A LOT better than a regular fighter. Besides, spells like abi dalzims horrid wilthing is very nice to have later in the game. He will put his proficiency points in two handed weapon style+, single weapon style+, quarter staff++, katana++ and dagger(++ later) .

I picked the monk, because I have heard that he can detect traps, use priest-scrolls, has a lot of resistances, and is a good fighter. I don't really need a cleric, since I will only be playing with four characters and there are a lot of potions and temples in the game, so I figured I will go with the monk instead. The monk will not be used as a tank because of his bad hp and ac , but I am positive that he will be useful in combat. Later in the game the monk will have quivering palm , which seems very powerful.

The multiclassed fighter/thief will have THACO bonus because of his strength, can wear armor (the kensai/thief cannot), has some important thief-skills, and can act a little bit as a tank. The sad thing about this guy, is that he won't be able to backstab as much as I want to, because he has to put a lot of thief-skill-points in pick pockets, open locks and set traps. He will put his proficiency points in katana+++, two weapon style++, and axe+.

Korgan is the formidable fighter. He can berserk, has magic- and poison resistance, has 19 constitution (hp bonus), and is specialized in axe. I will put points in sword-and-shield style and hammer when he levels up.

If the monk gets the necklace that makes him immune to level drain, and Korgan goes berserking, then vampires and the lots, will be no problem at all.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you people think is the best 4-member party when you play on insane difficulty? I would like to hear all points of views, even about Rickard's "wimpy-in-the-beginning" mage-parties or Armageddonx's "I-haven't-played-the-whole-game-but-I-think-this-is-the-best-party-because-other-people-say-so" party. Or what about Hell-lich's fighter party? Anyone, feel free to give your views of your best party. There is no such thing as a bad party.
Old 02-01-2001, 01:34 PM   #2
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I once played a 3 person party through the game -- not on insane difficulty though.

I played a Swashbuckler/Fighter. Good at basic lockpicking, traps, et cetera, with *** dual wielding *** Katana and *** Longsword. Very quick and effective.

Second PC was a Kensai/Mage. ***** Two handed sword proficiencies. Blast from a range, and mop up what was left.

I think what was missing was a good Archer. I picked up Valgyar, but having an Elvish Archer would've been better. I never worried about healing. I just bought lots of Restoration scrolls and rested every once in a while to recover from fatigue.

Ranger/Cleric sounds good too, especially considering the spell bonuses. I'm just not much of a sling fan.

Note: I'm sure you've played multiple dual classed PC's in a game, but I found out the hard way. I dual classed both immediately. Bad choice. I wish I had dual classed the Kensai first and the Swashbuckler later (or vice versa). It would have been nice to have one decent fighter while the rest of the party tried to gain experience.
Old 02-01-2001, 02:56 PM   #3
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Father, I was thinking of playing with 3 persons myself, but since I have a hard time just playing with 5 on hard difficulty with 4 npc's, I thought it would be extremely hard to play 3 persons on insane difficulty. If I don't play with npc's I can be much more powerful, and I think that I will need 4 people to handle every situations in the game.

About the swashbuckler/fighter: I have thought of this combination, won't he/she have pretty low hp? If you get 1-12 hp after you have dualled and gotten back the thief skills, I guess it is pretty good. In that case I will have to dual the swashbuckler immediately so that the fighter don't pass level 9 when you are done dualling. (hmm...complicated?)
Maybe the hp doesn't matter, because you get all that lovely proficiency points instead.
Old 02-01-2001, 03:59 PM   #4
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Hit points for the Swashbuckler/Fighter ended up in the low 80's. However, with an AC of -8 or better, I made it through almost all of the battles in pretty good shape.
Old 02-01-2001, 04:29 PM   #5
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Sorry about the additional post. I tried to modify, but didn't type fast enough

After re-reading your original post in greater detail, I noticed you plan to dual wield with the archer. This is tough. I much prefer a two-handed sword. To drop the bow and add a weapon in your off-hand is a pain in the *** in the middle of a battle. If you use a two-handed weapon, you won't have to drop the bow to switch weapons.

The reason like the Swashbuckler vs. other trap "finders" is that with a thief you can disarm traps. If you can disarm traps with the "find traps" spell, let me know because I haven't figured it out. I end up trying to walk around all of the traps -- another pain.

Finally, don't underestimate the value of Restoration scrolls. I think they can be read by anyone with a high wisdom (Rangers/Archer), can be purchased at almost any temple, and heal the target of almost everything (remove level drain, restore to full hit points, . . .)
Old 02-01-2001, 05:26 PM   #6
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes, I know that with points in two handed sword, you don't have to switch all the time. I just wanted to preserve the 2 points in dualwield that every ranger gets, and the bonus that elves get when they use long swords.

No, I don't think you can remove traps without a thief. If it is possible, please let me know.

Yes, I know that restoration scrolls do all that, though there is one little bi-effect. When Anomen cast restoration, he always get's fatiqued. I think it is similar to the haste spell. It is good to have though.
Old 02-01-2001, 05:26 PM   #7
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Darn it...double message. Can't resist that "back" button.

I don't know if a monk can disarm, but it should be able to, since it can find traps.
Old 02-01-2001, 06:45 PM   #8
G.W.

I'm thinking of creating a four Republican All-Star party that would be pure evil, led by Fighter-Thief half orc Geedubya. I could use pictures of the GOP leaders too.

Geedubya
Cheney
Rehnquist the "Adjudicator"
and... Trent Lott? Or McCain the Mad?

Anyway, need to think of classes for these guys (obviously ranger-cleric is out of the question because of alignment. Wonder if you can be a fallen ranger-cleric though?)
I can see Kensai-mage as appropriate for one. Then maybe Cheney as a pure class mage or sorcerer. Then the evil kit class cleric? (Talos seems like the worst kit--lightning is really impractical in the game)

Old 02-02-2001, 01:49 PM   #9
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

This is to be expected best 4 men party?
Swashbuckler/Mage
Kensai/Mage
Ranger/Cleric
and a Sorcerer

a thief
a cleric
a tank and 3 mages
this is really good but very weak at low levels
Old 02-02-2001, 02:07 PM   #10
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

How about??
Berserker/Mage (13/14) - main tank, support caster
Berserker/Mage (9/17) - support tank, caster
Ranger/Cleric - range support, healer, support caster
Fighter/Thief - range support, theif related activities
The first two are human, the others can be any applicable races.