Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2003, 06:57 PM   #1
Animal
Gold Dragon

What ever happened to quality workmanship, where companies actually cared about producing a good, quality item? It seems these days most companies find crap completely acceptable to market.

I'm finishing the resto on a 1971 DeTomaso Pantera GT4. I order up some 351C heads and intake from a very reputable high performance source that claim to provide port matching. I spent $2500US, and the damn things are no where near being port matched! It's like they had Stevie Wonder doing the porting on these things, they're that bad.

Most corporations these days don't give a skinny rats ass about quality any more, and you know who's to blame? The consumer. That's right, it's our fault because we don't hold them accountable.

When was the last time as a consumer, that you complained about something that wasn't the way you wanted it? Trust me, on Tuesday I'm phoning these clowns and getting my money back on these "Performance Heads." How can they possibly have the gall to call this shite performance? I spent an a$$load of money on these so I could have 0-60's in the mid to low 5's, not give grandma in her mini van a run for her money.

Okay, I feel much better now. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

[ 05-18-2003, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Animal ]
Old 05-18-2003, 07:13 PM   #2
wellard
Dracolisk

There mistake was selling it to someone who can tell the difference, most people can't. I hope you get satisfaction. Remember don't scream at them on the phone. Just deal with a manager straight away, the first guy you talk to usually cannot make decisions. That way it saves you making a complaint twice. Let him know that you are knowledgeable and that you have taken photos and video for second opinions from car tuning magazines IF a second opinion is needed. And don't forget that they should pick up all the freight charges.

Did you pay by credit card? If he starts being funny explain that you can cancel the payment by card because the goods were faulty, that should help him focus [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] *you can down here any road*

Good luck

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 05-18-2003, 07:21 PM   #3
Animal
Gold Dragon

I have no doubt that, sooner or later, I'll get satisfaction, but it shouldn't come to this. As a consumer, we should get what we want. Period.

This kind of shoddy workmanship extends everywhere, from auto's to appliances to PC's all in the name of profit. Cut a few corners here and there, gain a few extra dollars on the bottom line. WRONG!

Just give us a quality product while still maintaining a decent profit margin, and we'll be back to spend more money. It's that simple. I'll never buy from this place again just because they tried to rip me off. I'll pay a few extra dollars and buy from a source that care's about customer satisfaction.\

Anyway, thanks for listening. I was hoping to get her on the road for next weekend, but it's not going to happen now.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:22 PM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

The are still quality craftmanswork and workmanswork available, you just have to know were to look and be willing to pay for it.

A problem nowadays is that people donīt always value their belongings, everything is just "use" and "throw away" everything is so accessible to everyone. As such you donīt need to buy the most expensive stuff available if you just use it once or twice so you go for the cheapest. And cheap stuff rarely have superior quality. And if people buy the cheap stuff, the companies concentrate on producing it.

And finally, yes itīs to some extent our fault that some companies keep producing crap. It is after all WE who buys it and if we continue doing that and donīt complain, they have no reason to quit doing it.
But there are still many companies that produce high quality stuff, we shouldnīt forget that.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:27 PM   #5
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
The are still quality craftmanswork and workmanswork available, you just have to know were to look and be willing to pay for it.

A problem nowadays is that people donīt always value their belongings, everything is just "use" and "throw away" everything is so accessible to everyone. As such you donīt need to buy the most expensive stuff available if you just use it once or twice so you go for the cheapest. And cheap stuff rarely have superior quality. And if people buy the cheap stuff, the companies concentrate on producing it.

And finally, yes itīs to some extent our fault that some companies keep producing crap. It is after all WE who buys it and if we continue doing that and donīt complain, they have no reason to quit doing it.
But there are still many companies that produce high quality stuff, we shouldnīt forget that.
They are far and few between, but you hit the nail square on the head, we live in a impatient, disposable society, where the majority of people don't care about quality, they want low price. Never mind the fact that you'll pay three times as much in the long run, it's cheaper NOW!
Old 05-18-2003, 08:03 PM   #6
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

hmmm what's the difference between a matched port head and a bored out engine???...just kidding, you should kick some butts over this really open a can of whoop ass for messing with your car dude
Old 05-18-2003, 09:54 PM   #7
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
hmmm what's the difference between a matched port head and a bored out engine???...just kidding, you should kick some butts over this really open a can of whoop ass for messing with your car dude
Somebody sounds like she knows what she's talking about? [img]graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2003, 10:28 PM   #8
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:

Most corporations these days don't give a skinny rats ass about quality any more, and you know who's to blame? The consumer. That's right, it's our fault because we don't hold them accountable.
No actually they care a great deal about quality! They care that the product they sell will work just up until the warranty expires and then it breaks down so you have to buy a new one

It's not just about quality workmanship either - it's customer service. Stuff does have faults, it's not always that the manufacturers are just careless, but if they treat you well when you contact them about it then it makes the fault seem not so bad. Like I got a new mobile phone for my birthday, and the battery was faulty. We took it back to the department store where we bought it and the guy checked it over, got it to work, but replaced it anyway and updated the warranty with that day's date rather than the day we bought it which was last month. So the fault was a little inconvenient but our treatment by the salesguy made it no big deal.

On the other hand, my brother recently bought a laptop from Dell. The mother board stopped working after a couple of months, and although they promise in their ads next day on site service, he had to wait over a week while they sent emails back and forth, wouldn't give him a number to call, and tried to insist he had to completely wipe his hardrive and install WinXP instead of Linux before they'd come and fix it. Which left a very bad taste in the mouth, especially with their promises of service which was one of the reasons he bought from them in the first place!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:15 AM   #9
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

IMHO, manufacturers used to built things that are designed to last for 10 years or so but nowadays things are built with a shorter lifespan because the manufacturers expect to generate more money from reorder, service and also upgrades/enchancements.

[ 05-19-2003, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 05-19-2003, 03:00 AM   #10
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
Somebody sounds like she knows what she's talking about? [img]graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]yep,lol grew up with a wrench in one hand and a oil filter in the other...sigh i just wish i could get my dream machine started...but kids require all the money, by the time they are grown i will be paying for college oh well they are worth it [img]smile.gif[/img] and besides i can always build it with my son and daughters have them learn too,lol i can change a starter in almost any car in less than a hour