Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-28-2002, 05:01 PM   #11
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
Take this for example:

Say you have the nicest house on your block. And everyone else doesnt like you for it. Do you care? No you dont. If that turns to violence, are you to blame? No your not. Why should you be held responable for something that you have? We could get into a big debate over how we got it, but whats done is done, you cant change the past. You can only try to do whats best for the present and future.
But if you have the nicest house on the block, why do you need to keep shoving that fact in peoples faces all the time. And why do you need to be picking on someone that doesn't have a house that's as nice as yours?

I agree with you about "what's done is done" but instead of forgetting about it, how about trying to set it right?
Old 10-28-2002, 05:02 PM   #12
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:

2. Americans are always and forever rather oblivious, as a group, as to how disliked their government is around the world.
Nah I dont think thats true. Anyone that watches the news will see that people hate America. Its just, I for one, dont give a crap.[/QUOTE]That could be a further cause for the dislike to continue and/or grow.[/QUOTE]Iron Ranger, I think you are not the only "I for one" who doesn't give a crap. That, in turn, begets the true hatred, of the fact the we are not only on the top of the heap but don't mind throwing our weight around, as evidenced by this further comment by Djinn.

But, Mel Brooks said it best: It's good to be the king.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:03 PM   #13
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Downunda:
quote:
Take this for example:

Say you have the nicest house on your block. And everyone else doesnt like you for it. Do you care? No you dont. If that turns to violence, are you to blame? No your not. Why should you be held responable for something that you have? We could get into a big debate over how we got it, but whats done is done, you cant change the past. You can only try to do whats best for the present and future.
But if you have the nicest house on the block, why do you need to keep shoving that fact in peoples faces all the time. And why do you need to be picking on someone that doesn't have a house that's as nice as yours?

I agree with you about "what's done is done" but instead of forgetting about it, how about trying to set it right?
[/QUOTE]Gotta applaud ya there
Old 10-28-2002, 05:04 PM   #14
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
quote:
Take this for example:

[/QUOTE]Hey, I agree with you completely. I think America should pull out of most things we do. Including sending billions of dollars to countrys around the world, obviously they dont appertiate it.

Edit: Sorry if I seem a bit edgy, I have had a bad day and shouldnt be taken it out on you guys.

[ 10-28-2002, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Iron_Ranger ]
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 10-28-2002, 05:08 PM   #15
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Take this for example:

Say you have the nicest house on your block. And everyone else doesnt like you for it. Do you care? No you dont. If that turns to violence, are you to blame? No your not. Why should you be held responable for something that you have? We could get into a big debate over how we got it, but whats done is done, you cant change the past. You can only try to do whats best for the present and furture.
You should not be responsible for their ills, IR, but it is human nature for them to (a) covet and (b) dislike your advantage, and you with it. To make it worse, if they come to you with problems seeking leadership (as you are obviously the one in the neighborhood who knows how to keep your house), and you scoff at them, or, worse, abuse and/or take advantage of them, then their hatred grows. Again, it's not your fault.

So, you are then understandably offended, angry, and upset - but NOT (if you have a brain) *surprised* - when they "burn down your house and sleep with your daughter." Wouldn't you have been better off helping them out to begin with, or at least not scoffing at them?

Look - I am sure that not every part of my above extended metaphor applies to US international relations, but you started the metaphor thing so don't hold it against me if I got creative.

[EDIT] I didn't read your post (immediately above) before I posted this, so I think the issue has already been sufficiently addressed. And, I think we see eye-to-eye on it. [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]

[ 10-28-2002, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 10-28-2002, 05:11 PM   #16
Horatio

you know, iron Ranger, that's not a half bad idea. Whatever way you look at it, the "war on Terror" started because USA offered help/interfered (I'm not gonna judge, it's not my place to and I doubt you'd care anyway, so pick whichever one you like) in other countries. Maybe the USA should watch out for who they help in the future. They supplied the IRA with weapons, after all.

Don't wanna be identified as a yank basher, just adding my thoughts [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2002, 05:12 PM   #17
Downunda

Don't be taking a sarcastic tone with me Mr Iron Ranger sir

I've got no problems with the aid and protection that America has given over the years, I just wish that it was done for the good of your fellow man as opposed to being done so that America had something to hold over said countries.

I might not live in the flashest house on the block but I like it and quite frankly I can't think of a place I'd rather live. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-28-2002, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Downunda ]
Old 10-28-2002, 05:18 PM   #18
Horatio

What if you live in a dumpster? Or don't actually live on teh street at all?
Dammit, I'm getting caught up in all the deep thinking
Old 10-28-2002, 05:23 PM   #19
Downunda

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
What if you live in a dumpster? Or don't actually live on teh street at all?
Dammit, I'm getting caught up in all the deep thinking
If you live in a dumpster then you're welcome to stay at my place, just wipe your feet at the door and make sure Mr Peters doesn't see you - He has this thing about uninvited visitors.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:26 PM   #20
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
I might not live in the flashest house on the block but I like it and quite frankly I can't think of a place I'd rather live. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Don't be so modest. If what I've seen of the LotR movies is any indication, you have it as good or better there as I did in Vermont.

As for helping for purely alturistic means, it's unlikely. Even if you are doing something good for purely alturistic purposes, the fact that it's not hard to also gain a pecuniary benefit from it means you usually work it to your benefit at least a bit. Example: charitable tax deductions - if you're gonna give, at least make the other taxpayers soak up a bit, right?