Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-07-2003, 12:00 PM   #1
Arvon
Unicorn

P2P shenanigans
Last week, a federal judge threw out a lawsuit by the RIAA and MPAA against Grokster and Morpheus for copyright infringement. The judge concluded that though the technologies could be used for copyright infringement, they are legally neutral because they can also be used for legal file trading. So nobody is going to break down your door just for having a P2P client installed on your computer. However, according to news reports, the major labels might have other tricks up their sleeves, including Trojan horses that may shut down your computer, slow down your Internet connection, or cause other damage. File sharers, beware.

This is all I have on this. Got it fron CNET.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 05-07-2003, 12:08 PM   #2
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

hehe well your advise on that came to late my computer is slow lags full of viruses and spyware...but i can play all the latest games the and be on internet without lag so you get anoyed the worst thing is that sometimes my computer shuts of every thing im doing kazaa internet games photoshop that is anoying...
Old 05-07-2003, 12:48 PM   #3
Grojlach
Zartan

More info from The Register (mind you, it's more biased commentary than it is an article; I do not agree with all the sentiments voiced in the text below... Part of it is complete nonsense, and it does contain a few laughable sophisms just the same - though it could be used as a starting point for a renewed discussion on this particular subject):

RIAA attacking our culture, the American Mind

The RIAA's president Cary Sherman is lamenting that there's a lack of civility in the debate over sharing the music we love. He's complaining that people object to his effort to plant bombs in your computer. He says such people are irrational.
The New York Times reveals the record companies are preparing a program called "silent", which "Locks up a computer system for a certain duration - minutes or possibly even hours - risking the loss of data that was unsaved if the computer is restarted," the Times tells us. "It also displays a warning about downloading pirated music."
This latest bombing campaign follows the RIAA's attempt in October to get bombing prohibited from limited damages: a daring and unusual move for a bomber. Bombers usually light a fuse and then run away, or fly away at a very high altitude, but this bomber wants to return to the scene of the crime and deny the victims their right to get recompense for the destruction. That was the Berman Bill.
One other program can only be described as a kind of psychological "All Your Base" campaign, only for real. It deletes all the MP3s it can find on your computer so you have to buy the music again in DRM'd form. And then your music will truly belong to them, because once the DRM noose is around your neck, they only need to tighten it.
Sherman complains that when the Berman Bomb Act was introduced "you couldn't get a rational dialogue going."
We think he's been lucky.

Cultural Identity
The extent of this assault on our valuable culture, when combined with the the labels refusal to release its back catalogs, including works of great artistic merit, is huge.
Look at what just one Register reader will be losing. "My great grandfather was born in 1870," he writes:.
"He learned to build crystal radio sets to listen to the earliest radio broadcasts in the 1920's. He would invite the whole town of about 500 over to listen to them.
"My grandfather was born in 1899. He purchased one of the earliest tape recorders to make copies of radio broadcasts for his friends in the late 1950s.
"My dad was born in 1924. He had a collection of 78's that he passed around for many years until he died last year.
"And now I am using the Internet to assemble an MP3 collection of all the tunes on all those LPs, cassette tapes and CD's that I've been buying since 1959.
"I'll be damned in hell before I accept the notion that I and my ancestors who love to listen to the audio arts are in any sense guilty of anything that is illegal, wrong, evil, immoral or improper."
Can you imagine the value of that heritage? Then multiply it. The RIAA is attacking the American mind, and controlling its finest cultural exports oversees.
Imagine the loss if your library agreed only to keep a couple of hundred books which were then only obtainable through a fee. Or if it burned down?
Well, when the RIAA has finished with its good work here, it will be free to do the same thing, only more aggressively, abroad.
Hilary's Rosen involvement in rewriting Iraqi's more liberal copyright law [confirmed] will pave the way for her members to control the distribution of Iraqi culture. Before too long, the new malls of Iraq will have hypermarkets bulging with what small parts of homegrown culture the record labels sees fit to offer, plus a few claypit McJob boybands groomed for success, with just perhaps a token Sunni or Kurdish artiste thrown in to demonstrate diversity, only, "I think there's one in the backroom but I have to go and get it", is the reply you'll hear when you go and ask for it in the Baghdad hypermarket, when you ask for the latter."Er, owing to market forces we can't bring you the music you were listening to yesterday."
(Remarkably, India and France have remained in control of their visuals, despite similar pressures. Almost everyone else is losing their audio, however).
In parts of the world where sharing music isn't as frowned upon as here, the people generally look pretty happy, I'd say. And so you might conclude that file sharing music encourages happiness. In these parts of the world people party more, or party harder, or both, and the free flow of their culture is demanded.
Why is this 'irrational', Bomber Sherman?
The RIAA's assault on our cultural identity - this includes refusing to open the catalogs, as well as bombing or financially crippling computer-using music lovers - is so deep that it's only a surprise that someone hasn't bombed them back at ... (We'd give you the address here, but the RIAA's website has just gone down again, and so it appears that Phase I has been resumed.) ®

[ 05-07-2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 05-07-2003, 05:13 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

sure, will they go break someone's door who is on the other side of the world? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 05:29 PM   #5
Zero Alpha

as soon as any of these 'protection' or really attack methods are introduced, they will instantly be cracked or blocked. hey windowsXP was cracked within 6 hours of release (not that i condone such action) [img]smile.gif[/img]

all the protection or attack methods in the world will not help. every new step taken to combat illegal music downloads just seems to spawn hundreds of new ways to do it. its like poking the culprets with a stick - annoying but completely futile :|
Old 05-07-2003, 05:43 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Amen to that.

Consider this - silent is released (and are the going to target it anyway? MP3 format cant carry a viral payload, and you cant force an underground community to switch to another format). Silent is cracked. Silent stays cracked, since there will be more crackers cracking it than RIAA techs updating it. End result, any halfway-sentient pirate will be immune to and stay immune to silent.

Who gets hurt? The people who download an MP3, like it and buy the CD. Except you didnt let them listen to it and instead froze their comp for an hour or 2. I dont know about the rest of you, but if someone tried that on my comp I would most definately not be buying anything from them. And since you cant buy direct from the musician, that means I wouldnt be buying that music at all.

But the people damaging the music industry by downloading and sharing large quantities of music, they are totally unaffected if they pay attention to whats going on, and they will for the most part.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:04 PM   #7
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

How is it ok for them to put files to crash or delete stuff off your comp? Or freeze it? And why do they think everyone can shell out 15-20$ for a cd for every song they like.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:07 PM   #8
Arvon
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Blind_Prophet:
How is it ok for them to put files to crash or delete stuff off your comp? Or freeze it? And why do they think everyone can shell out 15-20$ for a cd for every song they like.
You could record it off the air and add it to your computer. They can't do anything about that.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 05-07-2003, 09:08 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Well... if you can't afford something, then you don't get it, period. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 09:11 PM   #10
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Well... if you can't afford something, then you don't get it, period. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
yeah.. word Luvian... word [img]smile.gif[/img]