Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-05-2003, 05:36 PM   #41
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Link, when did this start screwing up worse - when you fiddled with the soundcard drivers?

A little wiping and reinstalling might be in order, here. Before you do, though, disable your soundcard in the hardware manager (wherever this is in XP) and remove the soundcard drivers entirely. If this fixes your problem, ditch the soundcard and get a new one. If not, format C: and reinstall XP, using only the XP disc for drivers. After you have it up and running, play with it for a while and see if it's still unstable.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:36 PM   #42
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Just found out that I do have VIA/AMD Chipset. I was digging through all the stuff that I got with the computer (which contains a floppy for the Mouse, a CD-ROM for the keyboard (Application Software and Drivers), the drivers and utilities CD-ROM for the VIA/AMD chipset, and an Application Pack CD for Norton Antivirus 2001 and Norton Ghost 6.03).
More things: the Software Drivers for my GeForce 2MX, the CD-ROM for my CD-R/RW device, and a tiny little plug (or something like it.. dunno what it is). I also got the CD Creator 5 Basic CD, so I guess I got everything I need, save for Windows XP, and Office 2000. But that's something I can surely get somewhere from a friend or something. Games can be reinstalled, so that shouldn't be a problem either.
You mean VIA Northbridge, and AMD Southbridge, a good 'ol combo board? Those always have had problems playing nice.
Like I said before, XP has already told you that installing the soundcard was going to bork your system, and that's pretty much what's happened.
I don't really want to ask how your running XP when you don't have a CD for it. Some things are better left unsaid.
I would STRONGLY suggest before you do any reinstall on your current hardware config, that you go and find yourself a soundcard that's XP compatible, otherwise you're going to be in the same position you are now. Head over to your motherboards website and check to see if your current mobo has any problems with your prospective soundcard. The Audigy is a pretty good bet these days, although it does do some nasty things when mixed with XP and older hardware.
Judging by the sounds of things, your don't seem to be too familiar with computers and although these things aren't hard to do, they can be very time consuming and frustrating for newbie's so you might want to consider getting a friend to help you or doing some research on the net first. If I'm off base here, I appologize.
I would also suggest downloading all the latest drivers that you need and burning them onto a CD-RW or CD-R. I'm guessing that the drivers that came with your machine are probably a little on the old side.
Finally, good luck with your project.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:38 PM   #43
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
Link, when did this start screwing up worse - when you fiddled with the soundcard drivers?

A little wiping and reinstalling might be in order, here. Before you do, though, disable your soundcard in the hardware manager (wherever this is in XP) and remove the soundcard drivers entirely. If this fixes your problem, ditch the soundcard and get a new one. If not, format C: and reinstall XP, using only the XP disc for drivers. After you have it up and running, play with it for a while and see if it's still unstable.
Judging be past responsed, XP has already told Link to take a hike when trying to install the soundcard drivers. If I was a betting man, I'd say that the soundcard is the root of all the problems. (As they so often are )
Old 02-05-2003, 07:52 PM   #44
LS0158
Zhentarim Guard

I have a lot of computer magazines, and if you do need to find a new part for your computer, I may be able to find something in my magazines, although the price may not be correct.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:58 AM   #45
LS0158
Zhentarim Guard

bump

I want to know if your computer is fixed yet. Also, I like learning about computers, and this thread is about a computer error.