Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-07-2002, 10:14 PM   #51
Epona
Zartan

And in reply to Cloudy's PS (which she put in after my last post) I say I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE.

I went through school with hand-me-down school uniforms, not having enough cash for school trips, had similar things throughout my adult life too. I spent my whole life it seems being singled out because I don't have a lot of spare cash - and that SHOULD'T happen here. I understand that there are plenty of people who simply DON'T understand the stigma of being poor - well just try imagine it for a minute. The one place I can be equal, and suddenly I'm singled out again? NO THANKS.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:21 PM   #52
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Personally, I would go with the T-Shirt or Hat idea...of course you have to find someone to make them...then distribute 'em...hmmmm....if we could get someone to DONATE them, it would really help...

OR

How about we contact the makers of the games to see if they will give us a percentage of the profit from the sale of any logowear they sell from a click button/banner thing. Could be at the top next to the donation button...

But I like the idea of a IW tee-shirt better...

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Old 05-07-2002, 10:24 PM   #53
Epona
Zartan

I think the idea of an IW T-shirt is a good one BK. I'm not against raising money, I might even buy one should I have £10 to spare! I'm sure someone here would know how to get that organised.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:27 PM   #54
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Say NO! to the class system, say NO! to democracy (where everyone's equal, only some people are more equal than others), say YES to everyone having the same rights and opportunities as the person next to them! (didn't want to say the "c" word) [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sorry to bring up politics

In short, I'm poor, and as cloudy, LoA, Epona and a few others have mentioned... IW is a place where income doesn't matter and I'd like it to stay that way.

I've got no probs clicking on a banner to keep this place going and hey, soon as I get a credit card I might even be able to send a donation or two. I really enjoy coming here and I appreciate what Z is doing, I'll definately contribute all I can.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:31 PM   #55
SecretMaster
Apophis

Sorry for repeating, but what is Bandwidth? I'm not to good with online technical stuff.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:51 PM   #56
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster:
Sorry for repeating, but what is Bandwidth? I'm not to good with online technical stuff.
Neither am I, but I think it's how much electronic traffic can get from Z's server to our computers, or the other way 'round or something... sorry [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2002, 11:18 PM   #57
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretMaster:
Bandwidth is a measure of how much data can pass through a connection within a given interval of time (commonly a second). So a T1 connection would have a bandwidth of 1.5 million bits per second.

In a non-techie sense, think of it as a highway with traffic. As more people move into an area, traffic will increase on the highway and you'll get traffic jams, lockups, accidents, and it'll take longer and longer for a car or truck to travel from point A to point B on it. At some point in time the government will say, "OK, it's time to increase the number of lanes on that highway" and then construction starts and hopefully, they'll get new lanes that can accommodate the traffic.

That's kind of what's happening to IW right now. Because of all the traffic we generate at our site (with all the people "moving in" and posting), we're overcrowding the existing *freeways* (T1 line) so now we've got to raise money to "add more lanes" to the highway (like go to a T3 line, which is 27 times the size of a T1.)

Hope that helped explain things a bit, and wasn't too confusing. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 05-08-2002, 12:35 AM   #58
Beltazar
Zhentarim Guard

You know, all of these are GREAT ideas [img]smile.gif[/img] Just can't wait till I can put up my own avatar though [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2002, 01:30 AM   #59
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

1) I didnt help pay for the new server

2) is it legal to send money through the mail...of course i will do it inside a card or some such. and of course in US$'s

3) if 2 is ok, then Ziroc what is your postal address? (PM me or e-mail)
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 05-08-2002, 01:56 AM   #60
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Does'nt John D Harris make T-shirts for a living? maybe he could make the ironworks clothes. How do you feel about cash in post cards? Im to lazy to get a money order