Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2001, 10:03 AM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

I haven't bought ToB yet, so please, no spoilers.

I had read somewhere that after the 20th level, a character's increase in abilities (spell progression, THAC0, etc.) slows down dramatically. With this in mind, would there be any actual drawback to playing a multiclass character? I mean, at the ToB XP cap, I'd probably only be a couple levels lower in both classes as a single classed cleric or mage, and while there may be a big difference between being level 7 and level 10, is there a big difference between being level 26 and level 29? Thanks.
StarVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 11:52 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Hmmmm... ...

Assuming you dualled at level 12( 900,000Xp) for your Cleric, you only lose one 8th level spell for your Mage class.

You will be a kick-ass Mage with Clerical spells.

A level 12 Cleric can cast,

6 level 1 spells
5 level 2 spells
5 level 3 spells
3 level 4 spells
2 level 5 spells
2 level 6 spells

This is excluding bonuses from high WIS.
--------

A multi-classed Mage/Cleric however, will have much more spells than the dualled class just mentioned. You basically sacrifice some of your mage skills for better clerical spells, since you can only attain level 20 in your mage class. You do however have an advantage of being able to choose from both classes' special abilities.
--------

Therefore, a multi-classed Mage/Cleric is slightly more powerful than a dualled Cleric->Mage. People's opinions may differ though. Bear in mind though, that we are only discussing these two kits, people ranting about Kensai->Mages will be ignored.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Cavalier meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a Blade and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Sorcerer Spell List
Dragon Slaying Tips
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 03:16 PM   #3
StarVid
Elminster

That's what I'm wondering. What exactly am I missing if I multiclass my mage, rather than dual? If it's just a few higher level spells, then I don't think it matters because I'm taking along Imoen and Vic for singleclassed mages and clerics. What I also want to know is whether or not my mage/cleric can still kick some arse, or will he just end up supporting everyone else while they kick arse?
StarVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 06:49 PM   #4
Thrawn
The Magister

me i'm playing an solo clerc/mage muliclass on insane diffucity and all i can say is he's powerful and kicks ass, he kicks more ass in an party of maybe 2-4 tops, the largest party i averages is 4 characters total.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 11:55 AM   #5
Nifft the Nimble

If you go the Dual-Class route be sure to consider the special abilities of each type of priest kit, too. Priests of Helm totally rock: the other two get powers which emulate 3rd level Mage spells (Lightning Bolt or Hold Undead) while Helmites get a 6th level power: True Sight! ... and a power which makes them a formidable fighter-replacement.

Imagine putting Tenser's Transformation + Improved Haste + Draw Upon Holy Might in your Sequencer, suiting up in some enchanted Full Plate and then using your Seeking Sword power! Six attacks per round isn't bad for a Cleric/Mage

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 12:32 PM   #6
bygones01
Dungeon Master

well at level 26 your cleric gains their holy symbol (+1 str., 5% mag. res., and an extra 6th and 7th level spell). but once my cleric was 15th, viconia was pretty sweet... so you could just leave the cleric there. high level magic users are definitely needed for harder fights in TOB. if you can't dispel their protections then your high leveled fighters can't really do any damage....
bygones01 is offline   Reply With Quote