Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2001, 12:29 PM   #1
Tailmister
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I used to be a fighter, and now I am a sorcerer who is learning. Can you give me any tips I need to make magic as worthwhile as fighting?

------------------
Fighters Rule!!!
Old 08-27-2001, 01:02 PM   #2
Istaron
Banned User

Yes, start over as a wizard.

Always have a spelltrigger who you can active. Mine contains Mirror Image, Stoneskin and Protection from Magical Wepons.
You spellcaster is NOT a fighter. You shall engage in melee as little as possible with him. Cast spells.
Be carefull with sunfire and fireball since it will hurt your partymembers.
Have fun.

------------------
Mages Rules!!!
Old 08-27-2001, 01:33 PM   #3
Jake
Banned User

My spell contengincy contains mislead, shadow door and stone skin, an anti- melee combination. I also use stuff like telsers transformation, blackblade of distruction and stuff.
Old 08-27-2001, 02:44 PM   #4
zNOVAz
The Magister

You can not go wrong with mages, Mine has a lot of fighting spells, one of the best to have is one of the Fire shields. A good area spell like fireball is also very goo dand then be sure to include the basics like magic missle and Acid Arrow.
Old 08-27-2001, 03:09 PM   #5
Rikard

Quote:
Originally posted by Istaron:
Yes, start over as a wizard.

Always have a spelltrigger who you can active. Mine contains Mirror Image, Stoneskin and Protection from Magical Wepons.
You spellcaster is NOT a fighter. You shall engage in melee as little as possible with him. Cast spells.
Be carefull with sunfire and fireball since it will hurt your partymembers.
Have fun.

A bit Carelessly said by Istaron but i might be better to start as a Mage as a mage gets access to more spell and thus you can learn what spells are useful and which aren't
When you have good knowledge of the usefulness of spells
It might be wise to consider a Sorcerer as he is much more versitile in combat

------------------
The Rocks show the way

Old 08-27-2001, 03:42 PM   #6
IrishHound
Dungeon Master

Sorcerers rule! Here's my tip for you, Tailmister, don't overlook the 'skull trap' spell as opposed to fireball and lighting because alot of monsters have resistances to elemental damage and the 'skull trap' is pure magic. When u get high enough, around 11 or 12th level, combine it with 'protection from magical energy' and you have an awesome combo. *Note* the bg2 book in incorect in the spell info, it confers 100% magic resistance, not the 50% stated. Cast it on yourself or a fighter and unleash some devastation.

------------------
" When I read about the evils of drinking, I quit reading "
Old 08-27-2001, 04:55 PM   #7
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Project Image and Simulacrum are both wicked spells. There is so many uses and abuses here that it almost takes the fun out of being a mage its so powerful. I like to play mages as support for my melee (breach stoneskined opponents etc) so spells like breach and pierce magic etc are high on my list. true sight is a must have. improved haste can turn a dual wielder into a lawn mower. If you are going to be slinging alot of spells you really need to understand all of the effects of each spell. Since your main offense is going to revolve around your magic knowing which monsters are magic resistance and lowering their resistance when appropriate will also be important.
Old 08-27-2001, 05:08 PM   #8
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

yeah sorceress rulez!!

max thunderstorm and lighting mastery
max frozen orb and cold mastery
put one point in static field, which will help you level

get lots of +1 cold skill charms, and add-skill items. you will be a non-stopable PK.

oops, is this BGII thread?