Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2003, 09:44 AM   #31
Thoran
Galvatron

The second X chromosome does one important function, it gives female chromosomes the ability to correct transcription errors, and for a while some of the radfems were claiming that since Y chromosomes didn't have a second Y to correct errors, males would disappear in time as their genetic code got corrupted.

Now it's been published that Y chromosomes carry duplicates of important sequences so they can correct themselves... women won't be getting rid of us that quickly I'm afriad. Additionally the Y chromosome carries an additional gene for brain development that the X chromosomes doesn't have, although it's function isn't known at this point. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2003, 10:20 AM   #32
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
The second X chromosome does one important function, it gives female chromosomes the ability to correct transcription errors, and for a while some of the radfems were claiming that since Y chromosomes didn't have a second Y to correct errors, males would disappear in time as their genetic code got corrupted.

Now it's been published that Y chromosomes carry duplicates of important sequences so they can correct themselves... women won't be getting rid of us that quickly I'm afriad. Additionally the Y chromosome carries an additional gene for brain development that the X chromosomes doesn't have, although it's function isn't known at this point. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Yes but it has also been published that the Y chromosome contains less and less information. [img]tongue.gif[/img] You wno't be around that much longer. [img]tongue.gif[/img] (I'm obviously joking ) But the Y chromosome carries several "additional" genes.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:51 AM   #33
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
Yes but it has also been published that the Y chromosome contains less and less information. [img]tongue.gif[/img] You wno't be around that much longer. [img]tongue.gif[/img] (I'm obviously joking ) But the Y chromosome carries several "additional" genes.
[img]smile.gif[/img] Yea the less and less thing was based on the idea that Y chromosomes couldn't repair themselves... I seem to recall one feminist claiming men would be gone within 100 generations or something absurd like that (in their dreams... [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).

What got me about that article was the amount of junk that chromosomes have in them... apparently there are large sections of both the X and Y chromosomes that have dead genes and parts of old genes and just plain garbage code in them.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:09 AM   #34
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Additionally the Y chromosome carries an additional gene for brain development that the X chromosomes doesn't have, although it's function isn't known at this point. [img]smile.gif[/img]
How this part is easy. It develops the part of the brain that surpresses the desire to ask for directions! [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2003, 02:11 PM   #35
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
[img]smile.gif[/img] Yea the less and less thing was based on the idea that Y chromosomes couldn't repair themselves... I seem to recall one feminist claiming men would be gone within 100 generations or something absurd like that (in their dreams... [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).

What got me about that article was the amount of junk that chromosomes have in them... apparently there are large sections of both the X and Y chromosomes that have dead genes and parts of old genes and just plain garbage code in them.
Yeah some studies have shown that 99% of all our DNA is junk! Left overs from retrovira, evolution etc.

Rokenn, ROTFLMAO! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]