Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2003, 08:12 PM   #1
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

I was watching two great movies on my pc tonight (a fistful of dollars & once upon a time in the west - ya Iīm an indian), but was amazed that my computer didnīt hold enough power to run them smoothly. This happened only at times, but it bothered. Itīs interesting, because I have a 800Mhz, 256 DDR system, and I donīt buy the reason that my computer is outdated because Iīve seen DVDs running better with half slower systems. Now, it is a fact that time has left cards specifically designed for DVD performance behind, so I wouldnīt need one. Also, before starting a movie, I always clear the memory from stuff that isnīt essential.
Picture quality is another reason to cry. DVD quality should be especially sharp, but thatīs not often the case. It doesnīt make you smile when you can spot color patterns from the screen. Iīm wondering some ways to improve this. I believe itīs not the monitors or settings fault, Iīve tried everything. The DVDs themselves are chrystal clean.

Sooo, itīd be interesting to hear your experiences playing with DVDīs, what components are best if you want to get the best out of them etc.

[ 05-14-2003, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]
Old 05-14-2003, 09:03 PM   #2
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Just because your computer has a DVD player doesnt mean it's fast, unfortunetly. Especially the earlier models like with 800 Mhx, I think only Macs could sucessfully manage memory routines, perhaps you should try using a differint DVD playing application or not run anything in the background while you watch it ...
Old 05-14-2003, 09:10 PM   #3
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Yes, I have noticed that the application matters, but I believe I got the best one (PowerDVD). Forget Media Player, itīs awful. I don't also run anything on backround.. and the driver is 16x speed, the fastest model LG has.

But yeah, youīre still right. Macs win this round.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:28 PM   #4
Seraph
Quintesson

You have your DVD drive set up to run in DMA mode right? This tends to be very important when playing DVDs.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:00 PM   #5
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by NiceWorg:
But yeah, youīre still right. Macs win this round.
Except Bronze-Keyboard Powerbooks with OSX [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2003, 06:02 AM   #6
andrewas
Harper

16X DVD driver is worthless if its sharing a channel with an active drive. If that happens, any time the computer wants to read something from the other drive, the IDE interface has to shut down the DVD (and IDE is very inefficient while its doing this), then spin up the other drive, read the data, switch back to DVD which may need spinning up again.

Open up your case and make sure that the DVD drive isnt sharing a cable, if its unavoidable make sure its sharing a cable with a drive that wont be accessed during movie playback. On a standard config that means that it cant share with the drive with the "C" partition. Its usualy safe to share with the CDR, although that will kill your on-the-fly CD-copy rates.