Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2002, 10:39 AM   #1
Russ
Manshoon

Just as a lark, I took my main character away from my party and into some fights. My conclusion?

Solo-ing is actually much EASIER than going as a party.

REasons:

1. A solo character is in a target-rich environment, but has freedom of movement, never has to trip over his allies.
2. You can concentrate on what one character's doing at a time. Much better ability to funnel critters into kill zones.
3. Never have to worry about protecting weaker characters while something more tactically important is happening.
4. No irritation about your main character dying while everything else is succeeding... the weird no resurrecting Bhaalspawn thingumbob.

Granted, working around skill deficits could be a challenge. But fight-wise, my beginning party had real difficulty with the fight in the inn on Waukeen's Promenade, whereas my main character could handle it all by himself with the greatest of ease...
Old 01-08-2002, 11:51 AM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Yes, solo is very much fun. And it is easier at some points.
But if you go on with him and tries to take him against a horde, its not so easy as it sounds.
But you will get a very fun and challenging experience going through the whole game as a solo character.

see ya!
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 12:21 PM   #3
Phantom of might and magic
Dungeon Master

I should probably try soloing game...
Which do you think is possible?
Berserke/Ranger
Thief (Assassin)
Fighter-Thief (dont like dual classes but...)

It should be cool
Almost never played as mage, not my style
BTW how do i add smiley faces in this forum?
Old 01-08-2002, 12:36 PM   #4
Russ
Manshoon

It seems to me that a competent player should be able to find a way to solo with any class.

Personally, I have no real interest in solo-ing for real. Interaction between characters and the plot is by far the more interesting part of the game for me. If it weren't for the roleplaying aspects with the numerous characters, I'd just roll that time back over into my daily training.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:15 PM   #5
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

bah, i have soloed and beat it, but i get bored when i solo.
(mage) stoneskin, contingency, abi-dalzims, magic missle, blah blah blah
(fighter) slash, slash, slash, HACK, slash, club, shoot
(thief) hide, stab, hide, stab, hide, stab
you see where im going with this? it just gets WAY to repetitive to me when i solo. nothing agains those of you who DO LIKE to solo, i just find it boring. yes, i know its harder and more challengeing. but when i can solo, beat the game on insane, and do it with ANY character, its time i got a new hobbie, heh. i love the game, but whats more, i love D&D. when i play D&D, i like to travel as a group, just for the comradery, so i play with at least three, maybe four, and if im feeling frisky ill pick a fifth. no i dont use npc's, i dont like any of them aside from minsc, edwin, or nalia. the two latter would be slain by my sorceror, and minsc is just the everyday hum-drum ranger. i do like those three though. anyway, that is my opinion, sorry it was so long winded. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 04:00 PM   #6
melancholic_goat
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Russ, as for a competent player soloing with ANY class?
Come on...
An Archer? Not a chance.
A JEster? Funny to watch someone try, yes, managing it, v. unlikely.

But I do agree with any other class.
BTW my view is that the Monk is a very easy solo class (as well as being kick-ass in a aparty)
COme on, max level 21 is very good, great figthing abilities once he hits level 13, as well as hide in shadows! Perfect for a soloer!
Old 01-08-2002, 05:41 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

quote:
Originally posted by melancholic_goat:
Russ, as for a competent player soloing with ANY class?
Come on...
An Archer? Not a chance.
A JEster? Funny to watch someone try, yes, managing it, v. unlikely.

Actually, there have been people on this board who have soloed the game with every class and/or kit. Including the jester.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Azred ]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 08:21 PM   #8
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

maybe a little bit of a spoiler

i was soloing with an assassin and it was pretty fun and then i bought a PS2 and i really dont play bg2 much anymore. but I found soloing much harder against big creatures like dragons and the like, but much easier with just about everything else. took me about a million tries to finally beat firkragg, but i was finally able to kill him
Old 01-08-2002, 10:09 PM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Actually... Archer and Jester are two of the easier classes to solo with. For the Archer, get the Boots of Speed and you are set. For the Jester, it is because of his song.

Personally though, I prefer a Sorcerer. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 11:11 PM   #10
Xoon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How do you solers get past traps (without being a thief that is.)? Some locks can't be forced.
Xoon is offline   Reply With Quote