Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2001, 09:58 PM   #1
Medicina the druid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hail and well met!(this is my first post)
i started playing baldurs gate(WITHOUT TOSC) about two years ago and encountered
a scenario that left me enraged to the point of uninstalling baldurs gate and throwing the disks around the room:
i dont know what constistutes a game breaker or spoiler......
so caution your eyes to the following...................
.................................................. ......
.................................................. .......
.................................................. ......
.................................................. ....

marek and lothander threatened my bow weilding party who shot and killed marek.Lothander walked off screen.i adventuered on drinking mareks antidote when i found my characters poisoned.Later lothander gave me the quest(like a week or two later real time after i had saved over my pre marek kill) i carried out the quest,Lothander sez ok goody now go meet marek to get his potion.....
HULLO?!?! anyway needless to say i emailed the BG folks, they said "oops we never had that one yet..." my party would always die..hence flying disks and uninstalling...
ok curiosity got the best of me and i gathered the disks dusted them off and reinstalled BG to get to see the last parts of the game..
here i am playing again and thinking to myself :
SHOULD I STEAL THIS IDOL OR NOT?!?!?!
i mean awakening the stormstar god of chaos seems much bigger than anything else ive done in the game!!!!!
does anyone know if stealing the idol has larger ramifications than just haveing to encounter doomsayer outside of the archaeological dig?!?!?! help please?!?!? i havent played for 3 days becuase ive been plagued by this mystery.....
Medicina the druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 10:47 PM   #2
Worm
The Magister

Your quite a catious player.

I say go with your characters alignment. Evil characters would want the Idol as the pure ones would not.
Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 10:56 PM   #3
Medicina the druid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

well WORM,
encountering a game bug then takeing a two year break can do that to ya :]
Old 12-13-2001, 01:16 AM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Apart from angering the Doomsayer (I kill him--at low levels, that 4000 EXP can be quite yummy) taking the Idol out of the dig site has no ramifications EXCEPT:
- you can sell it for 50 GP (whoop dee doo!)
- it's part of an Easter-egg thing if you have ToSC installed.

So if you want 4000 EXP and 50 gold, take the Idol. If not, just leave it there and the Doomsayer won't attack you. Don't worry about incurring the wrath of Kozah the Stormstar--he's dead, it says so in the Idol's description.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:10 AM   #5
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

I wouldnt want to fight doomsdayer unless you are quite strong (not for first to third level characters). But as they said, 4000XP is hard to pass by.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Scholarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 07:40 AM   #6
coyote
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The idol is part of an Easter egg....

could you Spoil me ?

Cheers
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 01:55 PM   #7
Midget Gems

If you look back at the posts around December 2nd, there was talk about the sword you can get by using the Idol. However it doesn't say where to get it. I've forgotten where I read about it, but no doubt someone else will know.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:16 PM   #8
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Spoiler...........
The sword is called "Vampire's Revenge" and it has the nasty attribute of draining hit points from the wielder.

Its been a while, but if I remember right you get the sword from one of the ghosts in the Ulcaster Academy Dungeon. (i could be wrong on this though ... like I said, it has been a while!)

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 02:22 PM   #9
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

If, after killing the Doomsayer, you take 1) the idol from the archeological dig and 2) the Ancient Armor from the ghost knight down in the Firewine dungeon to the ghost of Ulcaster and he will give you the Vampiric Sword ("The Vampire's Revenge").

My paladins are holy redeeming, squeaky clean, Lawful Good guys and would want nothing to do with a vampiric sword, but I do look forward to getting that for the evil party I'm about to start a new game with! I've never used it before.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:33 PM   #10
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Thanks for correcting my post ... [img]smile.gif[/img] I forgot about the armor bit ...

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote