Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 08-14-2004, 01:43 AM   #1
deadmoney
Dungeon Master

Hello all-

I've been on here before but changed email addresses and couldn't get that to work. That's neither here nor there. ..here are my questions:

Just started HotU and am around that petrified blue dragon. Was advised to take it out from a distance. . . yeah, that doesn't happen. He wakes up and destroys me. Then I try to sneak around him, he wakes and see above. Do I need to get by him? And if so, why am I so lame in killing him?

Second question: I have a Monk (13) and am looking to multiclass. I've read all around but am thinking about a RDD (with one level of sorcerer). Any thoughts on this? I'm sure there are a lot of negatives to it that the gurus can point out to me. In addition, any other thoughts on Monk combos? I didn't use any weapons except unarmed.

Thanks a lot in advance.
deadmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 10:19 AM   #2
OB1 Kenobi
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Can't help with the first question because I can't remember ever fighting a blue dragon in HoTU but as far as your second question goes I think it would be a good idea. Red Dragon Disciple ups your AC and increases a few of your stats as well and anything that increases a monks AC is a good thing but thats just my opinion.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
ScottG
Drow Warrior

there is no need to fight the dragon, but it is the only way to get some treasure in the room next to him. BTW he only becomes re-animated if you step on the floor traps.

At least go to level 16 as a Monk for the massive additional damage in your attack. It would even be advisable to continue to level 20 for the mental immunity (but their are necklasses that confer this as well as potions).

But after level 16 consider the RDD route if you want more melee damage through the increase in strength (and the AC bonus and eventual immunity to fire).

If you want more magical offense or defense consider a Sorcerer or a Druid (depending on your attributes for the classes spell requirements).
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
deadmoney
Dungeon Master

Thanks a lot. I've tried not touching the plates and having Sharwyn wait so SHE doesn't trigger them. He still wakes up. Maybe I'll just bail on the treasure. Again, thanks for the tips. I think I'll definitely go to 20 on Monk, 1 on Sorcerer (since my charisma sucks anyway), and then at least 10 on RDD. Would you put more levels past 31 into Monk or RDD? Thanks a lot guys (or ladies).
deadmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 02:49 AM   #5
ScottG
Drow Warrior

well if your playing HOTU you'll likely not get above 29 character levels, (so its moot).

If your playing something else then it depends on how you want to spend your epic feats* and how much additional spell resistance you want. Monks have specialized epic feats available to them. Feats like Improved Spell Resistance. Additionally Monks improve their spell resistance by +1 for every level-up above 12the level Monk.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/neverwinternights/feats.php

On the otherhand your hitpoints and base attack will improve considerably with additional levels as an RDD (and your "breath" weapon increases in power).

If you time your levels right then you can do both by using only a few levels as a monk by selecting them when feat selection comes up, and then filling in the rest with RDD levels.

Of course if you have enough base charisma you might want to consider additional levels as a sorcerer (up to the amount the level of spells vs your charisma modifier).

your welcome (both for the info and to welcome a new user!)

*Note: General Feat selection during level-up is available every 3 levels starting at level 3.. so at level 21, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36, 39 - you'll have a feat to select.
Bonus Epic Level Feats are every 4 levels AS an epic character while leveling-up. (In otherwords you'll need to ba either a 21+ level Monk or an 11+ RDD IN THAT CLASS when you level-up to trigger an opportunity to receive a Bonus Feat). To maximise your epic Feats for Monk I'd suggest an RDD at level 32, Monk Level 33 with 2 feats to choose from - then the rest as an RDD (with your bonus RDD feats at 32, 36, and 40 (I think). Do NOT select the RDD epic feats listed below before then, (unless your trying to have a maxed-out Damage Reduction). If you want more epic Monk levels and Feats and are willing to sacrafice levels as an RDD then you can level-up at levels 36 and 39 to use your general feat selection for that specialized epic feat

If you meet the requirements of the feats, these are the additional epic feats available to the RDD:Armor Skin, Automatic Quicken Spell, Automatic Silent Spell, Automatic Still Spell, Damage Reduction, Epic Reputation, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Prowess, Epic Spell Penetration, Epic Toughness, Improved Combat Casting. Of them the Damage Reduction is by FAR the best BUT it requires a 21 or better base constitution. Armor Skin is nice.. as is epic toughness - the rest listed are useless. So, IF your interested in either Armor skin or Epic Toughness, then save them for the level-up mentioned above as an RDD.

Final Note: You can practice how a character should level up with an epic character leveler mod (available as a free download.. Member "Chewie" has one I think - and you should be able to find it listed in a past thread on this forum).Ahhh, here it is:

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...;f=26;t=000244

[ 08-15-2004, 03:40 AM: Message edited by: ScottG ]
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote