Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 08-23-2002, 06:27 PM   #1
Maximus decimus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i was wondering which was the best theif npc you can have. I had Yoshimo however after he betrayed me and i killed him i had to use Imoen (who i found useless). Im currently using jan jansen and i was wondering if there is any better thieves out there
Maximus decimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 06:34 PM   #2
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

Stick with jan. I always use him either with Nalia or Edwin. He's basically a good mage to back up you main one and also is very good at detecting traps and dissarming them. I've never bothered with Imoem and Yoshimo for the reasons your said above. Apart from being a thief yourself (Although Assasin is the only kit worth using) Jans your only safe bet. He might die a bit later when you face the the bigger bad guys but aslong as you keep a few ressurection spells or the rod or ressurection spell handy your ok.

Warby
Warby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 06:35 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

HI welcome to IW. There are four theives, and in the order of usefulness:

Imoen is *not* useless. OK, shed be better if bioware hadnt severely short-changed her (she was much better near the end of BG1, but bioware saw fit to redistribute her levels to fit a minor plot point). Still, she is more than adequate to finish the game with.

Jan I dont know about, but he is the only theif that can level up so I suppose hes almost as good as imoen. Ok, technicaly hes better as a thief but I prefer my mages to kick serious butt, wich takes far to long for a multiclass.

Nalia however is useless as a theif, but can just about manage for a short spell if the traps and locks arent to hard. Useful when imoen accidently stops more firepower than she can handle. And shes the best of the good NPC mages avaiable, with only Edwin being more powerful.

Yoshi would be the best, but he has his own issues. Like that geas. Take him to spellhold with you though, otherwise if you have a party of six someone gets trapped.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:21 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Imoen is *not* useless. OK, shed be better if bioware hadnt severely short-changed her (she was much better near the end of BG1, but bioware saw fit to redistribute her levels to fit a minor plot point). Still, she is more than adequate to finish the game with.
Personally, I disagree. It seems that BioWare's intention was to screw you over regarding Imoen: You finish BG1 with a Level 10 Thief, who has 100% in Find Traps, Open Locks, and Stealth. Then you get slammed with a Level 7 Thief who doesn't have 100% in anything, cannot change that fact, and didn't even bother to take the Swashbuckler kit, even though it's obviously right for her character, both for powergaming AND roleplaying. In order to be useful, Imoen has to drag around the Ring of Danger Sense for the entire game, or at least until you get to the Marching Mountains. Compare her to Jan: Except for his lack of Abi-Dalzim's, he's almost every bit as good a Mage, and in ToB, I could put him in Backstab mode with an AC of -12. Let's see Imoen do that.

Imoen is my #1 Most Frequently Hacked character: Either I hack her back to a pureclass Swashbuckler (who can Dual to Mage at some later time), or I hack her Thieving points to more closely resemble her setup at the end of BG1.
Old 08-24-2002, 05:26 PM   #5
Arwyn the Betrayer
Manshoon

Best thief is Jan Janssen.
You can't go wrong with turnips.
Arwyn the Betrayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 06:41 PM   #6
PAPS
Elite Waterdeep Guard

After Yoshimo betray's you... you really don't need a thief at all. i beat the game just fine with out one... just using my strength to pry open chests... i would'nt even use one.
PAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:04 AM   #7
Hecate
The Magister

I liked Valen, but she's only accessible if you side with Bodhi and install the Valen mod. Having a vampire/thief gives her great butt kicking abilities in the dungeon crawls but her thief skills are as good as Jan's. Only thing is she's not much of a conversationalist.
Hecate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:17 AM   #8
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Arwyn the Betrayer:
Best thief is Jan Janssen.
You can't go wrong with turnips.
I second that Jan is the way to go.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:04 AM   #9
SecretMaster
Apophis

Jan is the best (or your own) because he's the only thief that can level up who stays with you till the end of ToB. Plus his cool armor gives him some great bonuses.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 10:14 AM   #10
Fiend
Manshoon

Jan is the best thief in the game as he is the only one who can get the high-level thief special abilities.
------------
[img]graemlins/diablo.gif[/img]