Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2001, 09:42 AM   #31
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Ahh, mon ami, je suis desole...

So that's why that French girl slapped me last night...
Old 02-05-2001, 09:47 AM   #32
Ramon

Farewell, Sylent, and good luck with your studies !

I just have to indulge into the linguistic debate raised here or to quote, Moiraine the sage: I am learning something new on this board every day. I was surprised to hear that
"adieu" had such a final connotation in French, since in Catalan "adeu" is just used
in everyday life, for instance when you leave a shop. Same goes for "adios" in Spanish, at least the version they use in Catalunya, but as they have a completely bilingual society there, I noticed that the use of the one language influenced the use of the other quite a bit and vice versa.

So wouldn't "farewell" be the perfect equivalent for "adieu" ?

Sorry for rambling, but "languages" is one of my favourite subjects.

So long,

Ramon

Old 02-05-2001, 09:49 AM   #33
Ertai, Wizard Adept

Hey Ramon where are you from ?? You´re from Catalunya ?? im from the Pais Vasco !!

Old 02-05-2001, 09:50 AM   #34
Ertai, Wizard Adept

Hmm, just remembered that you are from Germany !!! And may i ask why you speak Catalan ??

Old 02-05-2001, 10:29 AM   #35
Ramon

Hi Ertai,

I unfortunately do not really speak Catalan very well, I only (used to) understand and be able to read it fairly well, because I spent a year at the "Universitat Autňnoma de Barcelona" as a student with the Erasmus program.

During that time I also went on a short trip to the Basque Country, to San Sebastián (Donostia) and Vitoria (Gasteiz) to be precise, and I really liked it, both a very beautiful cities but I was most impressed by the glimpses of the landscapes I got to see.
It was limited to that extent, though, since we were doing city tourism by train.

If I recall correctly, you are from Bilbao -
a proud promoter of new Guggenheim museum.

Do you speak any Basque ? I am fascinated by bilingualism.

So long,

Ramon

Old 02-05-2001, 11:28 AM   #36
Stealth Bomber

Sylent, speaking from experience I recently left the board for nearly a month and really missed the banter. Hence I returned and haven't regretted it. The worst part is that unless you check in every 5 mins, all the best posts have 50+ responses and you feel left out! I suggest that you pop in at weekends, just to read and keep up. In moderation it won't affect your studies and you will not feel awkward when you start posting again. I was lucky and got a warm welcome back from the regulars who knew me and this helped me overcome any nervousness and guilt. I felt like I had abandoned a load of friends and ignored their letters, calls etc. Thanks again to all of you who replied.

To my fellow spaniards hola. Unfortuanately I don't know basque or catalan but my spanish is quite good considering I never lived there. In case you missed my very late reply to your other posts, I have spanish parents but was born in England. My family live in Murcia now, but are from Burgos originally. I have relatives in Bilbao, Barcelona nad Madrid also.

As the catchphrase goes: 'Hasta la vista Baby'

Old 02-05-2001, 11:38 AM   #37
Moiraine
Anubis

Stealth-Yinn,

if you ever come to France, please make a little detour and come visit us.
Old 02-05-2001, 02:25 PM   #38
Moiraine
Anubis

Oh ... sorry Ertai ... my parents are both professors, you know, so I guess it has rubbed off on me ...

Arcachon is pretty far from Grenoble, but if I happen to be around there for the summer holidays, I'll mail you.
Old 02-05-2001, 04:26 PM   #39
Ertai, Wizard Adept

Well no matter Moiraine !! And thanks for helping me Ramon !!

Ok, if you are over there in summer (very difficult but posibble i guess) email me please, i would love to meet you (though it will be difficult to understand each other - my english is FAR better when writing/reading than speaking/listening )!!

Old 02-05-2001, 08:13 PM   #40
Sylent

Thanx everyone for replying, it is great to hear...
I am certainly not going to go cold turkey, and just leave, which was sorta why I left this message...
I just wanted to put more time in to my studdies, but I can pretty much do both, because it doesn't take up that much time to visit here every second day or so...
I remember you were her Suul-Bomber (Stealth-Yinn), and your signature (Cher), but I think you left pretty soon after I arrived.
I don't speak any language except English, so I am not up with the aurevio's (pronounciation), but anyway.
I got to the Drow city (Ust something), and am still playing on and off, so I will hopefully finish it sometime...

a few weeks before I got baldursgate2, I decided to finish off baldursgate1, because I never actually did. So one day I will finish bg2!

I agree about relationships, they are like anything in life, whether or not they seem like a good thing at the time, you are going to learn from them... Just like mistakes I suppose.

Anyway, I ramble, and I am at school at the moment, so I had better leave it at that, I will be back, and I think that is partly to do with all of the kind messages y'all gave me

P.S - You made me smile Memnoch!