Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-10-2001, 10:30 PM   #1
Kaleban
Manshoon

Ok, I love the magic system. I also like chunking bad guys with badarse weapons. I also enjoy soloing more than partying (I think, I'm kinda on the benches about that one).

My problem is, I have not yet finished the game, because usually around the Asylum I think of a new character concept and start a new game, and the purist in me makes me delete the old one.

Do I need BG Anonymous? Is there any hope for me at all? Here are the main problems:

I am soloing a Sorcerer, reveling in the power, then pick up a weapon like Celestial Fury and think to myself "MUHAHAHAHA!!!", but alas, I cannot use it.

I am soloing a Kensai reveling in the carnage, then find Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting and think to myself "HAR HAR HAR HAR!!!", but alas, I am a retarded fighter.
Full Stop.

I have always role-played characters that take time to increase their power, but in the end are more powerful for the effort. I hate restrictions, and usually play games that have a single protagonist. For example, my favorite type of character is a Martial Artist wielding a Quarterstaff and twin butterfly swords, but who has extensive knowledge of magic to complement his unarmed fighting styles and to overcome enemies immune to his mundane weapons. There is no equivalent to this in BG terms, as a Monk cannot dual-class (you'd think an ascetic life spent in study and learning would lend itself well to dual-classing to a mage...) and I think this is terrible because the beauty of the game far outshines Pool of Radiance, which was crap.

Any ideas?
Old 12-10-2001, 11:10 PM   #2
Eldoran
Dungeon Master

My best suggestion to you is to pick up a copy of ToB, and try a multiclass Fighter/Mage... They become quite powerful, and whirlwinding during a timestop is quite fun

If you don't want to do ToB right now, I guess I would suggest a Kensai Mage... Info is easy to find on them if you just do a search for the words...

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Eldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 11:11 PM   #3
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

play a kensai, and dual him to a fighter. then you can use the weapons you find, and still cast a multitude of spells.

[img]graemlins/ninja.gif[/img]
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 11:26 PM   #4
Kaleban
Manshoon

Well, of all the classes in the game, I think the Fighter/Mage type is the most versatile, in that, barring thievery, can handle any situation.

The problem is, there are too many cool weapons to solo!! Oh look, just built Shadow Dragon scale, oh darn, it disables spell casting TOO!? Gotta wait until the end of SoA for "the good stuff."

I plan on using SK to make my Elven F/M more like I think he should be (5 stars in primary weapon, then put no more than 1 star in anything else, ranged weapons can be used but with no proficiency slots, etc.), but I guess the problem comes from the fact that I prefer katanas as a sword (I practice everyday in r/l) and just see an agile elven warrior with a light and swift katana, rather than a 4 foot long longsword that is made for hacking and slashing.

But then I see all the cool long swords, and think I'm really limiting myself if I choose katanas. I suppose I can always rely on MMM, but I don't want all 5 3rd-level spell slots to never change...

Such a dilemma...

Maybe the main problem is I watch Samurai Jack, and he just rules. Emulating a character like that can be difficult under BG2 rules, especially with the enemies you face (dragons, liches, powerful magic). Ah well.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:54 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Try a Kensai->Mage then, arguably one of the, if not the, most powerful class that you can lay your hands on.

You can grandmaster in Quarterstaffs and dish out mean damage, or cast spells to terrorise, if not annihilate, your enemies.

Simply start as a Human Kensai with at least 15 STR and 17 INT. When you dual depends on whether or not you have ToB installed. If you have SoA only, dual at level 9. If you have ToB, dual at level 13.

Most people prefer to grandmaster in Katanas, and max out Two Weapon Style, because they want to dualwield Celestial Fury and Dak'kon's Zerth Blade. Your choice of weapons is dependant on you however.

Good luck, and have fun! [img]smile.gif[/img]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Kaleban,

Robe of Vecna.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 09:17 AM   #6
gabriel986
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Haven't tried it myself, but I hear that a berserker/mage is better than a kensai/mage. At lvl 9 a raging berserker is roughly equivalent in THAC0, damage and AC to a kensai. However, it has great immunities (confusion, maze, imprisonment, stun) plus it can wear bracers too!