Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-07-2001, 10:18 AM   #1
BALROGBANE
Zhentarim Guard

Whats the best way to deal with the Twisted Ruin room?

Individually it would be a piece of poo but im having a bit of bother with them as a group.

Whats the best level to attempt this mega hard fight?

Is there any way to cambat time stop?
Old 12-07-2001, 10:24 AM   #2
Ares

Basically, spell up outside the building then go in. Hit the lich hard and fast before he can cast a lot of his party-messing spells. After the lich is gone, Go after the Beholder and then the Mage. The thief will continually try to backstab your mage (at least to me ).

I would attempt this quest at a party lvl of around 13-14..I did mine at around 12-13

Happy Gaming!
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 10:30 AM   #3
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

I think I waited till level 15-16 for my magic depraved group to go in there. My cleric/mage cast web from the door while my mage simultaneously cast Incendiary cloud. Fighter stepped forward to initiate dialoge, then ran back out.

Next round cast Nishruu with c/m, and Hakasharr with my mage and got my tanks back. The only one that made it that little opening room was a high level mage. He's not the one that casts time stop, just is protected to the nuts and my boys couldn't even touch him. If you have a druid now is the time to cast insect swarm.

Any way most of the guys died in the next room, and I had to pierce magic a couple of times and breach that one guy so that I could kill him. Went into the main room and that time stop guy is still alive(computer cheats) but he is getting beat on by both Nishruu and Hakasharr. Got rid of his defences and put him down.

He did manage a couple time stops but he only pulled out symbol: fear or death. I kept my main guy in that opening room so if someone bites it, I can still go on. I have not found any way around time stop but it does take like 9 casting time, so if you can disrupt him during that, you'd be fine.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:47 AM   #4
Kaleban
Manshoon

Solution: Buy two things - Shield of Balduran and a Protection from Undead scroll.

Put on the Shield, and after Shangalar does his dialogue, read the PfU scroll on yourself. You'll be out of the line of sight of the Time-Stop magess, the beholder will kill itself on your shield, shangalar and the vampire won't see you, so all you have to worry about initially is the thief. Kill him, heal, then pound on Shangalar (the Beholder should have deathed/stoned/charmed/etc/etc itself by now) and his Mislead. Kill him, then go after the wizardess. Once you've downed her (you could buy a Protection from Magic scroll and cast it on her if you're a low level), proceed to chop up the vampire.

Grab the eye and Staff of the Magi, and you're home free.
Old 12-07-2001, 11:02 AM   #5
BALROGBANE
Zhentarim Guard

Thnak U V much .

Those are all top tips.

Cheers.
Old 12-07-2001, 12:28 PM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Ever since meeting Samia in the Windspear Hills, setting traps with Yoshimo has become one of my favorite tactics.

I set as many as I can in the spot that Shangalar teleports to. It killed him instantly on one attempt (although I lost some party members to the other characters, so I had to re-load).

My main character is a Wizard Slayer (lvl 15), so he gets decent Magic Resistance. I had Yoshimo and Valygar Hide In Shadows and then sent my PC (Cerek) to initiate the dialogue. Keldorn was waiting off to the side and I had Nalia and Jaheira in the back of the room. Shangalar teleports into the traps and I have ALL fighters attack immediately. I also equipped Cerek with the Shield of Balduran and left him in the doorway to draw the Beholders fire. This will make pretty short work of Shangalar and - if you're quick enough and get a good backstab - he won't have time to cast his Mislead. I had Jaheira summon a Fire Elemental and sent it out in the room to deal with the other enemies I hadn't gotten to yet.

The Beholder, thief, and vampire all go down pretty quickly - which leaves Little Miss Time Stop. On my final attempt, she cast Cloudkill after Gating in her Pit Fiend and killed him for me (that was so nice of her). So, I just ran through the spell and sent my Wizard Slayer in to do some up-close pounding on her. I've downloaded a couple of nice items from Arundor's Abode that increase my Magical Protections, so her spells did very little to me - but my sword did LOTS to her.

On my final go through, no party member took any significant damage this way.