Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-14-2001, 03:03 PM   #11
Vampire

Britain does tend to mirror USA

------------------
Old 09-14-2001, 03:07 PM   #12
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer Alex:
Britain, and indeed all of Europe has shown its determination to stand behind America in this matter. But I am nevertheless concerned about the Islams. I go to an international school and often come into contact with people of this faith. They resolutely support the terrorists out of principle - it seems to me that simply being Islamic = hating all Americans. I know dozens of Islams and do not know one of them that condemns these attacts on the Pentagon and the WTC. The more I think about it, the more it certainly does seem like them against the western world.
Alex, please try not to generalise ...what you call Muslems are extremists!! If you'd take the Qu'ran as your single guideline, you'd find that the Islam is actually a tolerant and peace-loving religion (unfortunately, what's so problematic about this is that the extremists obviously don't. Like all other religious/political extremists the only guideline they have is their own distorted ideas and their power- and warlust). If you've read the Volkskrant today, there's an interview with the principal of a school with 50% Muslems attending it. He said only seven of them had expressed sympathy with terrorists, and the others respectfully and sincerely observed the three minutes silence. YES, that's 7 too many, and yes, that is disgusting, but please do not make the same stupid mistake of generalisation that thoise terrorists made: "All Americans/Muslems/... are evil"

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, LH and HADB

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art

[This message has been edited by Melusine (edited 09-14-2001).]
Old 09-14-2001, 03:08 PM   #13
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
This is the report from the yesterday's London Evening Standard Tears as Palace plays US anthem

by Harriet Arkell

As the band of No7 Company Coldstream Guards struck up the first chords of the American national anthem, the mood outside Buckingham Palace this morning was as leaden as the sky.

Never before has the US anthem been played during the changing of the guard. Never before have Americans - or much of the rest of the world - known grief like this. Two blonde girls, one wearing a jacket decorated with the US flag, clung to each other and sobbed, rocking gently as the crowd hummed the tune.

One man, dark glasses hiding his red rimmed eyes, stood erect, his right hand over his heart, as he stared ahead at the palace. One young man had brought a US flag along for the occasion, and it fluttered in the chill autumn wind as he too stared at the band in silence.

The Queen, who ordered the anthem be played at the ceremony, was not present. She is at Balmoral but will return to London for tomorrow's special service to honour the dead at St Paul's Cathedral.

Instead, the Duke of York represented the Royal Family, standing grim-faced and wearing a dark suit under the palace's central archway. He was due to be in the US today, but his jet had turned around on Tuesday after the attacks on the World Trade Center. The ceremony was also attended by William Farish, the US Ambassador to Britain, and the Lord Chamberlain, Lord Luce.

Usually visiting Americans are thrilled to see a member of the Royal Family. Today, however, their thoughts were elsewhere. "I used to do a lot of business in the World Trade Center and know several people who still do," said tourist Bill Walstron, 65.

"I'm just wondering if all my friends there are alive. There are a few names being released but I gather it will be days or even weeks before I know for sure if they survived. It is horrific."

The US anthem was followed by a two-minute silence, ordered by the Queen. Before it began a mounted policewoman rode up to the crowds near the Victoria Memorial.

"Do you all know about the two minutes' silence?" she asked gently. "Yes, ma'am," replied the crowd.

As the silence began, one woman dabbed her eyes with a tissue and an elderly couple from Texas clutched each other's hands tightly.

" Why is everybody sad mummy?" asked a small child.

"Because a lot of people have gone to heaven darling," her mother whispered. "Just be quiet and think of them."

When the silence was over the crowd burst into applause. One American man made the sign of the Cross and murmured God bless America.

Palace officials said the "usual jolly tunes" had been replaced by more sombre music for the occasion. "I've never seen anything like this," said Pc Michael Bateman, 38, who usually patrols outside the palace for the changing of the guard.

"On Monday the crowds outside the palace were a bit sparse. But today there are many, many more, and it is not just Americans either. British people have come to pay their respects and I can understand why."

Sheila Whittaker, 67, had come to the palace from Ealing to honour the dead.

"I've just been to lay flowers at the US embassy," she said. "Now I am really glad to be here. I didn't know anyone who died but that is not the point. What happened in America on Tuesday affects us all and we all have to be strong together."

dammit ya made me cry at work, thank you Brittain, our ally and friend.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-14-2001, 03:10 PM   #14
Conan

Thanks,thanks,thanks,thanks,thanks!!!

------------------
*\Conan/*

Old 09-14-2001, 03:13 PM   #15
Neb
Account deleted by Request

That was a beautiful thing to do, it really showed their sympathy, about the muslims hating America, it's not the muslims, it just might seem that way because many of the nations that hate America for foiling their invasions of other countries or supporting their enemies(The palestinians hate the americans for aiding Israel), the palestinians who were asked on danish television why they celebrated this great disaster said that it was because America had aided Israel and they wanted the americans to know how it was to be attacked by terrorists from their enemy, strangely enough, the interviewed palestinians seemed to forget that they had attacked Israel with terrorist attacks and suicide bombs as well, while Israel retaliated more than attacked.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.

Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.

Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
Old 09-14-2001, 03:13 PM   #16
Sorcerer Alex

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Alex, please try not to generalise ...what you call Muslems are extremists!! If you'd take the Qu'ran as your single guideline, you'd find that the Islam is actually a tolerant and peace-loving religion (unfortunately, what's so problematic about this is that the extremists obviously don't. Like all other religious/political extremists the only guideline they have is their own distorted ideas and their power- and warlust). If you've read the Volkskrant today, there's an interview with the principal of a school with 50% Muslems attending it. He said only seven of them had expressed sympathy with terrorists, and the others respectfully and sincerely observed the three minutes silence. YES, that's 7 too many, and yes, that is disgusting, but please do not make the same stupid mistake of generalisation that thoise terrorists made: "All Americans/Muslems/... are evil"

Erm, I think you've rather misunderstood me. I have very many Islamic friends and I am in no way generalising. I am merely saying what these friends of mine think of the attacks. I'm being as objective as I possibly can and I am not out to offend anyone here. So please don't take my post the wrong way.

[This message has been edited by Sorcerer Alex (edited 09-14-2001).]

Old 09-14-2001, 03:28 PM   #17
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
That was a beautiful thing to do, it really showed their sympathy, about the muslims hating America, it's not the muslims, it just might seem that way because many of the nations that hate America for foiling their invasions of other countries or supporting their enemies(The palestinians hate the americans for aiding Israel), the palestinians who were asked on danish television why they celebrated this great disaster said that it was because America had aided Israel and they wanted the americans to know how it was to be attacked by terrorists from their enemy, strangely enough, the interviewed palestinians seemed to forget that they had attacked Israel with terrorist attacks and suicide bombs as well, while Israel retaliated more than attacked.

Good points!

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-14-2001, 03:33 PM   #18
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
I saw an incredibly moving scene this morning on the T.V.
In front of (I think) Buckingham Palace, the Royal Guard had assembled and was playing the "Star Spangled Banner". It was so touching to see that show of support, I was moved to tears.
Thank you to all of our British friends for this deeply felt act of solidarity. Your support is deeply appreciated and welcomed.

p.s.
I came in on the middle of the broadcast, so I am inferring the location, hope I haven't got it wrong.
Oh Abysynthe! It was a beautiful gesture, heartwarming, and definitely appreciated! God Bless the Queen and Great Britain!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-14-2001, 03:36 PM   #19
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer Alex:

Erm, I think you've rather misunderstood me. I have very many Islamic friends and I am in no way generalising. I am merely saying what these friends of mine think of the attacks. I'm being as objective as I possibly can and I am not out to offend anyone here. So please don't take my post the wrong way.

OK, in that case, I'm glad . Still, even if the Muslems you know supported the acts, your outright stating it does come across as a statement saying that Muslems, as far as you're concerned, supported the terrorism. This is why I reacted to your posts, as I think it a very scary development if people would actually believe that sort of thing. Thanks for clarifying your post to me!

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, LH and HADB

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 09-14-2001, 03:51 PM   #20
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I believe there was also a similiar meeting in front of the Brandenburger Tor in Berlin today. I know that the American ambassador, the Federal Chancellor and the Federal President were there, as well as tens of thousands of people. I wish I could have been there. You might also read the thread posted by Moiraine "Today, at midday GMT". All of Europe supports you, Americans.

------------------

Kazara

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe