Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2006, 11:20 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I wish they would go back to the original Need for Speed, and NOT street racing.. blah. Keep that junk under the 'underground' label. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think Need for Speed 3 was the best. The tracks were cool--and not ALL nighttime boring city tracks. I like the autumn country side tracks... Looking at run down dirty cities is sucky..

Anyone play Carbon? Is it more of the same? Better than Most wanted?

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:05 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

NFS3 ruled and will always be my favorite.

As for Carbon, it's OK imo.

It has a lot of nice additions (muscle cars, exotic, tuner) but still lacks the two things that I reckon would make it perfect.

*A graphical/engine overhaul
*And a damage system

Not a bad by if you like the series.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:12 AM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Oh man, NFS3 hot pursuit was BADASS! I ran the Italia design Shigera.. I became so good, I'd start creating goals for myself--like 3 laps, take out ALL the cars before any win--make them get ticketed out-- and if you bump a car, they'd chase you a bit, get the cops on them, then once I was the only racer left, I'd not finish the race, but screw with the cops--doing u turns, and 180's making them chase me [img]smile.gif[/img] . LOVED it..

The NEXT Need for speed does need a new graphics engine--and drop the street racing crap--and the open ended cities are kinda generic. I loved the individual tracks A to B.. But it's ok I guess..

What they NEED to add as a feature is a track editor/designer. Something like Trackmania, but much nicer.

Anyone here remember the 1991 game called "Stunts" ? It was based off the Atari "Hard Driv'n" Arcade game, and was one of the first true 3D racing games with polygons! And the track editor was awesome!!!!

Also, in 1992, Test Drive III was awesome.. Get this, you could turn on your headlights, you had WINDSHIELD WIPERS because it would rain and snow, and you had to clean your windshield.. SO awesome... And on the track, there was a train tracks crossing--and you had to beat the train. I would sit on the tracks, and the gates would come down, and I'd wait to the last second before the train hit me.

AWESOME... I miss those cool touches. Maybe I'll email these to the developers of NFS.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Holy crap!

Stunts was a sweet game! I remember sitting in the computer rooms at school creating tracks and not listening
Old 11-27-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
Sir Goulum
John Locke

NFS Carbon feels more like an expansion pack to Most Wanted to me... I'm not impressed at all.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

OMG. Just 'checked' it out.. total crap. I agree, it is 100% like Most wanted. Yet another piece of crap thrown on the market by EA.

It's like Madden 2007.. They add 1 new texture, update stats and WOW, its all new for 2008! lol...

The whole street racing thing where you gotta 'fight for turf' sounds more like gangsta crap to me.. the typical cliche 'gotta beat the bad dude super racer to be someone'.

Ah well. I did like my friends Test Drive for the Xbox 360! They modeled the entire large island of Hawaii and its multiplayer, and looks really polished... I just don't have a 360, and don't plan on owning one for a loooong time. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-27-2006, 11:13 PM   #7
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
It's like Madden 2007.. They add 1 new texture, update stats and WOW, its all new for 2008! lol...
lol!

And yet every year somehow it has the highest initial sales of any game

[ 11-27-2006, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Hivetyrant ]
Old 11-28-2006, 01:14 AM   #8
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Stunts rocked. I LOVED that game. Doing the Loop in a F1 car or a big slow truck was fantastic!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:31 AM   #9
Thoran
Galvatron

I'm sure you'll see test drive for the PC if it's not already out. For a while the average PC won't have the horsepower to run 360 games... so we'll probably see a number of titles released for the 360 THEN for the PC instead of the other way around like it used to be.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #10
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

I agree, Stunts rocked. I still have that somewhere...

If you're looking for a fix, try out TOCA3 or GT Legends, both are awesome. Just got TOCA3 with my last video card purchase, normally it wouldn't be a title I pickup but I'm enjoying it. Great balance between realism and good gameplay.