Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-16-2003, 08:27 PM   #1
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I'm seeing loads of people out there posting threads about playing D&D, and I was wondering, class/race wise, what have you found to be the most playable PC format otu there... Combinations of classes and races can turn out to either water down their abilities or enhance eachother making litteral "hero" like characters even in 2nd eddition.

My favorite class combination is the Fighter Mage who's fighter half specializes in Dragoon Feats (or nonweapon proofs & skills) and who'se mage half deals in the realm of Necromancy, that way spells like "Twisted Resurection" can be cast after you plummet from the sky and turn 4 enemies standing close together simultanously into cold cuts... Mix that with a Vacuum Genasi who can't be affected by wind for Dexterity bonuses or a Storm Genasai so that the wind can be used in his favor or a Teifling Ba ryuke so he has the ability to fly/glide with wings or a Peganthrope so he has wings and can be mounted to fly in Pegasus form, very good Combinations

In one game with Julio as the DM i managed to spear a dragon and hang on until It let me mount it [img]tongue.gif[/img] Then again i also was able to speak Draconian so that always comes in handy (with the Dragoon kit)

Some say "But having loads of magic is way cooler than just some"

I don't see how anything could posibly be cooler than leaping 3 leagues into the air and comming down hard with a lance on your oponent but then again I just like stuff like that...

Heres a flash video of the first Dragoon in action

So what semi-classes and races do you severley enjoy mixing?
Old 01-16-2003, 09:27 PM   #2
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

I always liked human characters and their ability to dual class, the only drawback being the huge amount of xp needed to advance these characters to useful levels in the second class - and of course the waiting period to regain the abilities of your first class.

I tend to favour kensai dualed to mage (if the GM allows).

Never played PnP 3e, however.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:45 PM   #3
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I never really played P&P 3e either...
Old 01-17-2003, 05:31 AM   #4
Jorath Calar
Harper

I've only played 3e lately, I played 2e few years ago with my college friends, but after we graduated we stopped playing. Last summer I started teaching my little brother and his friends to play and I found 3e to be much easier to play... the guys are 11 years old so I try to keep it simple and there are mostly dungeon crawlings or taking out goblinoids camps... [img]smile.gif[/img]

I tried making some really cool monsters with classes and my favourite is a Hound Archon with 6 levels as Paladin, so he basicly 12th level ECL (effective character level). he is kind of a mentor and guide to the group, appears mostly after huge battles to offer them healing and advise if they need one... They like him very much but I try not to overuse him... [img]smile.gif[/img]

I also made a real badass Bugbear barbarian...Thrombar( [img]smile.gif[/img] ) he was ecl 5... killed 2 of the players (thief and a mage) in a single round (Cleave can be a dangerous feat) before being totalled by the dwarf.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2003, 06:27 AM   #5
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
I always liked human characters and their ability to dual class, the only drawback being the huge amount of xp needed to advance these characters to useful levels in the second class - and of course the waiting period to regain the abilities of your first class.

I tend to favour kensai dualed to mage (if the GM allows).

Never played PnP 3e, however.
You know, I never did understand why it was you had to "wait" to use your abilities. It never made sense. Here I am a 9th level Thief, and I feel like I've gotten about as proficient as I want to get, so I dual class to a Ranger and then find out I forgot/can't use my Thief training. What is up with that? I use my real life as an example to explain why I don't think that was fair. I have done a lot of different types of jobs. 2 of them are Diesel Mechanic and Shipping/Handling. Whenever we had problems with equipment, I would use my Mechanic training/skills to get the machinery back online. If I hadn't had those skills, I wouldn't have been able to do that. Life didn't penalize me for knowing what I knew, nor was I told that I couldn't do that. In other words, I was able to combine my skills. That's the main reason that I liked 3rd edition when it came out because it addressed that. As for a main character I identify with, I would say Ranger/Mage. Magic intrigues me, but I don't think I would devote all of my time to it. I'm not quite Knightish to want to go Cavalier or Paladin, but feel a cut above a regular fighter. Ranger, I feel, would fit the bill.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:41 AM   #6
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobbin:
You know, I never did understand why it was you had to "wait" to use your abilities. It never made sense.
One of the many problems with 2e, I think the name of the game was play balance.

Quote:
That's the main reason that I liked 3rd edition when it came out because it addressed that.
I agree, 3e fixed a lot of things wrong with AD&D. I haven't played in quite a while (except for black isle titles, of course) but it's a substantial improvement. I've heard criticisms but frankly could care less, since d20 is pretty much unsuitable for modern/scifi roleplaying (what I'm into right now) I have no intentions of getting into it.

I'm refereeing a shadowrun campaign right now.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:49 AM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Something that I don't like about D&D is that there is no ninja and samurai class.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:24 AM   #8
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

There are if you use the Eastern Eddition Rules System, Thats where I got the concept of Dragoon From [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2003, 11:54 AM   #9
Grungi
Banned User

kakero theres ALWAYS a class in any game, the beauty of it is you make your own, thats what i love about rp, if i dont have class as part of the game then i make background, levels, skills etc for a brand new class, one good game if warhammer fantasy roleplay, theres a wealth of career paths in that, you can be a political agitator, or witchhunter, all sorts, and if you dont like the choices you have, add some more with ease to the existing system, a little bit of imagination is all it takes, and some idea of game balance, but normally playtesting works that out.

For assassin class, cross thief with fighter, take pertinent skills from both, then add martial arts expertise, marksmanships skills with exotic weaponary, and stealth skills to a level the thief wont have. Should be able to make a well balanced class in a few hours if not less.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:26 PM   #10
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller :
There are if you use the Eastern Eddition Rules System, Thats where I got the concept of Dragoon From
huh? there is such things as Eastern Eddition Rules System?

Grungi : which game are you talking about?