Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2017, 11:47 PM   #1
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Networking Latency Question

Ok, little background.

We've just switched from DSL to cable internet at our house.

In general, I avoid online gaming, never gave latency a second thought. Recently started playing Diablo 3 with my friend and a few of his friends. Noticed some occasionally significant lag. Collectively we blamed the game servers.

Ran Detailed Network Statistics on my Xbox ONE. Latency registered at 74ms. According to my friend this is quite high. He blames my use of a Motorola gateway, as, in his words, "all in one devices are crap because they're trying to do everything and can't do anything well."

I'm contending that it's more likely because of distance from the gateway, (I'm stuck on Wi-Fi for the time being) and that my PC, and two other TV's are drawing on the gateway via Wi-Fi. So 2 TV's streaming programming, plus my PC and an Xbox ONE.

Root question, is the high latency because I'm using an all-in-one gateway device, Motorola 8x4 Cable Modem Gateway + Wi-Fi N450 or more likely because we've overloaded the Wi-Fi?

Secondary question, is there a way to improve latency, other than purchasing new gear?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:17 AM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: Networking Latency Question

When gaming online, try to have everything on-the-wire. This means corded mouse, keyboard, and broadband connection. Since the BB has to be on wifi, then you will probably always have issues. Since you don't want to spend money, I would cord the mouse and keyboard and see if that helps. If it doesn't help, then money will need to be spent. You can try a router signal booster (Google it). They have some of those things that plug into the wall outlets.
If you don't mind the ugliness, then you can buy the required length of BB cable and then the problem should be fixed. But then there's that ugly cable running down the hall.

As you can see, the goal is to have everything connected by wire if at all possible.

This probably didn't help, but it's the best I can do.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Well, as I said, it's Xbox ONE, so keyboard and mouse are not an issue. I'll have to look into either the Wi-Fi booster, or finding a way to move the router close enough that a cable is feasible. There would be a lack of appreciation if I tried to run a length of cable the way things are situated right now.

In any case, thanks as always for the response, ElfBane.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Go here and do some more testing. this includes over-time line tests.
Also, if you have yet to do so, run this program: (TCP Optimizer)

https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Its simple to run, choose your speed, and set to 'best performance' etc, and it'll set the reg keys in the PC to optimum settings. reboot and see if that helps a bit.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote