Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 11-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow What book are you reading?

Come on guys let's liven this forum some. What's everyone reading right now?

Me I'm about to start Hunting Party from Elizabeth Moon. I don't know how it will turn out yet but I'll let you guys know.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:55 AM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Default Re: What book are you reading?

I just finished 'Antony and Cleopatra' by Colleen McCollough. I loved the rest of her Masters of Rome series and after the last one she said she wouldn't be writing anymore since she's going blind. Fortunately she changed her mind and wrote this one. I think it will be the last in the series though. Now I'm reading 'A Hidden Life' by Adele Geras. I didn't know anything about the author or the book but I've been trying to be more broad with my reading choices in the last couple of years. I used to have trouble choosing books to buy because there are so many in the bookstore and it's hard to know what will be interesting when you only have the blurb and I am quite indecisive, so I would just buy authors I knew or read books other people had recommended. So I've read some so-so books but also some books I've loved with my new adventurous book choosing policy.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:11 AM   #3
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I just finished the 6 Sacred stone by Matthew Riley. not the best thing I have read (and not really believable) but it kept me entertained for a few weeks.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

The Great Hunt (Book 2 in the Wheel of Time)
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: What book are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelia Jusa View Post
I didn't know anything about the author or the book but I've been trying to be more broad with my reading choices in the last couple of years. I used to have trouble choosing books to buy because there are so many in the bookstore and it's hard to know what will be interesting when you only have the blurb and I am quite indecisive, so I would just buy authors I knew or read books other people had recommended. So I've read some so-so books but also some books I've loved with my new adventurous book choosing policy.
Yeah, I've been trying doing the same thing for a while. Every times I go buy books, I always buy one of two picked pretty much at random from the SF/Fantasy section. So far I've been pleasantly surprised with what I got. Do you use the covers to decide what to try too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchke View Post
The Great Hunt (Book 2 in the Wheel of Time)
So how are you liking the series so far? I thought the first one had a lord of the ring feel to it, especially the "leaving a small village in the middle of the night pursued by something evil" part. The second one is more original, it's one of most people's favorite in the series.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I know this'll make me look dreadfully boring, but I'm currently reading Shapiro's 'The State of Democratic Theory'. I've also ordered every single sci-fi book that was written by Dan Simmons. Yes, he is that good.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

At the moment halfway through volume 2 of Otherland: River of Blue Fire by Tad Williams.

Got off to kind of a dry start which was a little disappointing after City of Golden Shadow, but it recovered nicely before too long.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #8
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Ironworks Forum Re: What book are you reading?

Am about halfway through Book 2 of The Illuminatus! Trilogy. I read the trilogy about 5 years ago, and it's even better the second time around.
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Thumbs Up Re: What book are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
So how are you liking the series so far? I thought the first one had a lord of the ring feel to it, especially the "leaving a small village in the middle of the night pursued by something evil" part. The second one is more original, it's one of most people's favorite in the series.
Really good so far, really enjoyed the first one and for some reason am enjoying the second one even more, I am about 3/4 of the way through.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:58 PM   #10
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion

I recently read The Eye of the World and enjoyed most of it but hated the ending. I can't decide whether to give the second a try.

At the moment I'm reading The Education of Henry Adams. Fascinating, if a little heavy. I try to alternate fun/easy books with interesting/thick ones.