Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-30-2003, 02:27 PM   #11
ElricMorlockin
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Boy, do I miss Clinton. Any president who lets the government operate "in the red" for 4 years straight rocks. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

And, before you guys all jump up and down screaming "it isn't just the President who did it," fine to a large extent you are right. But, let's remember it *is* the president who proposes the budget, estimates the needs of every agency, and, as Bush has shown us (and as Clinton showed us during the gov't shutdown in mid-90's), has HUGE influence.
I dont at all like this trend either. The Republicans of today are fast turning into the Democrats of yesterday. This is actually a great opportunity for the Democrats, yet, they have gone so far left, that taxation and control is part of the overall agenda. Its a shame because they really could have made some hay, with credibility, as to this spend-a-holic mentality of late.
From another post by you Timber, you mentioned that you demand a decrease in expenditures. I couldnt agree more. Can anyone tell me why all the pork nonsense was in the Homeland Defense Bill, other than the fact that the damned politicians *knew* Bush couldnt/wouldnt veto it? This is the ridiculousness of what is happening/has been happening in Congress for years. Our homeland defesne shouldnt have a damn thing to do with studying the habit and habitats of a fricking species of fish etc., yet this is the kind of crap that gets to go along for the ride.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:52 PM   #12
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Heres some deficit news that flew in under the tax-cut radar:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...402EDT0597.DTL

quote:

(05-27) 11:02 PDT WASHINGTON (AP) --

Without comment or ceremony, President Bush on Tuesday signed a bill allowing a record $984 billion increase in the amount the federal government can borrow, to a record $7.4 trillion.

The increased federal borrowing will enable the government to pay for the $350 billion economic stimulus package that the GOP-led Congress passed last week at Bush's behest.

Bush will hold a signing ceremony at the White House on Wednesday to celebrate passage of that legislation, White House spokesman Ari Fleischer announced. The package includes $330 billion in tax cuts and $20 billion in aid for states.

Passage of the bill raising the nation's debt ceiling came last Friday, only hours after the tax-cut bill was approved. Congressional Democrats had sought to spotlight the federal IOUs that have resumed piling up under President Bush.

But Republican leaders maneuvered to get the debt-ceiling measure passed quickly, and with little fanfare.

The Senate gave the bill final congressional approval by 53-44 on Friday.

Republican leaders did not bring the measure to the Senate floor until the House had left town for a weeklong Memorial Day recess.

The House had avoided a direct vote on the debt limit by reviving a rule that made its approval of a borrowing increase automatic when Congress finished its annual budget last month.

After running annual surpluses during the last four years of the Clinton administration, federal deficits have returned. This year's is expected to well exceed $300 billion, a record, and huge future shortfalls are expected with no end in sight.

Bush's signing of the bill -- announced in a statement with a single sentence -- will enable the government to borrow money until sometime next year.

The current $6.4 trillion limit was breached earlier this year.

Failure to extend the borrowing limit could have led to a first-ever federal default -- something neither party wants to explain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The bill is H.J. Res. 51.
[/QUOTE]
Chewie, not to be contrary but the figures about Clintons "surpluses" got a major revision after full audits exposed many of the calculations used to derive the numbers were as flakey as Enrons were. There may or may not have been surpluses, if there were, they were nto what was made public...I hate to say but SFgate has a tendancy to forget minor things like that....or ignore them all together....no I don't have links to provide data on this and no I don't have time to research it..(it is friday afternoon afterall) Im just bringing it up so that if you desire to look into it, you would at least have heard about it.

Old 05-30-2003, 03:02 PM   #13
GForce

hmmm. imo, BUSH really SUCKS at administering foreign and domestic affairs. i didn't vote for him because i just had a hunch he's just not a good choice. i'm just fearing that america will vote for him again because 'he won' the war and he has alot of people supporting him. i call them his ultra conservative, backward, closed minded, henchmen/women. bass tard. IMO. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-31-2003, 12:22 AM   #14
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

oh my GOD

This man can't possibly be leading our county... I mean... COME ON! he's got to have some advisors or SOMETHING! geeeez!!!
Old 05-31-2003, 07:06 AM   #15
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Timber Loftis, what is the meaning of operating "in the red"? [img]smile.gif[/img]