Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-28-2003, 09:56 AM   #1
Grojlach
Zartan

Victims' Families Sue Sept. 11 Fund Chief

NEW YORK - Seven families of people killed in the World Trade Center attack have sued the head of the federal Sept. 11 Victim Compensation Fund, accusing him of acting unfairly in calculating awards for victims' relatives.
The lawsuit alleges that Kenneth Feinberg, who is special master of the fund, has used illegal formulas to compute the monetary awards and has "alienated and disenfranchised the very constituency he was appointed to serve."
The 30-page complaint was filed Saturday in Manhattan federal court, The New York Times reported in Monday editions.
The suit contends that the fund violates state law — and shortchanges applicants — by using after-tax earnings to calculate awards. The compensation offered to families would be greater if the awards were instead based on pretax earnings, as New York law requires for wrongful death awards, according to the lawsuit.
The complaint also alleges that the fund discriminates against unmarried victims and has illegally limited the size of the awards that some high-income families can receive.
All seven plaintiffs are relatives of Cantor Fitzgerald employees who died in the Sept. 11 attack. Their suit demands changes to the rules and formulas governing the administration of the fund, but it does not seek damages.
Feinberg, who will have 60 days to respond to the lawsuit, said he had not seen the complaint and had no comment.
The fund has so far offered 154 awards, totaling $240 million, to relatives of victims.

Source: Yahoo! News
Old 01-28-2003, 11:26 AM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

It's sick how people wanna take advantage of the death of a loved-one to rake as much money in as possible. I mean they're getting over a million each based on the above figures. That's more than the person who died probably would've earned in 15 years.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-28-2003, 12:38 PM   #3
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

I'd be careful before making such a broadbased judgement. Many people I know lost loved ones on 9/11. Some of them can no longer make ends meet, and they are not living richly to begin with. One lost her husband, she was a stay at home mom, and had been for the last 10 years. She had to quickly find a job, and having not been out there in the workplace for 10 years, it's not so easy to a) find a job and b) she's not making anywhere what her husband was. What she got from the gov't was not nearly enough to keep thing to where they were. She probably won't be able to keep the house. So now, not only did the kids lose their dad, they may soon lose the house.
This doesn't even account for people who were living with their fiances or gay lovers. Those people got nothing, so suddenly their household income is cut in at least half.
My point being, unless you're in that situation (which I hope no one is), you really shouldn't pass judgement. Looking at it one way it may seem that people are just money hungry, but when you delve deeper into the actual details of what's going on, you may find something completely different.

JMHO, so no offense meant to anyone.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:20 PM   #4
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyquinn:
I'd be careful before making such a broadbased judgement. Many people I know lost loved ones on 9/11. Some of them can no longer make ends meet, and they are not living richly to begin with. One lost her husband, she was a stay at home mom, and had been for the last 10 years. She had to quickly find a job, and having not been out there in the workplace for 10 years, it's not so easy to a) find a job and b) she's not making anywhere what her husband was. What she got from the gov't was not nearly enough to keep thing to where they were. She probably won't be able to keep the house. So now, not only did the kids lose their dad, they may soon lose the house.
This doesn't even account for people who were living with their fiances or gay lovers. Those people got nothing, so suddenly their household income is cut in at least half.
My point being, unless you're in that situation (which I hope no one is), you really shouldn't pass judgement. Looking at it one way it may seem that people are just money hungry, but when you delve deeper into the actual details of what's going on, you may find something completely different.

JMHO, so no offense meant to anyone.
Fair point, but I think there are people of both categories (those who really need it as you described it and those who are simply trying to make a quick buck out of it as Vaskez described) in on this; not just people of only one of these categories.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:21 PM   #5
Lavindathar
Harper

I agree with Grojlach, some of both!