Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 06-06-2001, 04:15 AM   #1
Rene
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Has anybody a good tip for a new game as I have just finished W+W. The Wizardry or M+M type of game. I tried Baldurīs Gate, but I could not control my party right. And I hate these real-time-fights. You can be sure, when I am in a tough one, one of my daughters come in, I turn round to her and she says: "Papa, you have just died". So what I seek for is a turn-based, story-oriented fantasy role game. My favourite one is "Betrayal at Krondor". It was the first game I ever played but for me it is still the best. So any suggestion is highly appreciated.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 08:38 AM   #2
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Don't give up on BG. One word: space bar. I had the HARDEST time getting used to the way W&W was played, but now I just breeze along. Both games are worth finishing, IMHO. I actually thing BG style is easier, but that's just me.

Having said that, what style of game are you looking for? RPG first person, conquer the world, save something from somthing ... narrow it down! Thanks!

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 10:09 AM   #3
Rene
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What I am looking for? Generally just like W+W or Might and Magic. Developing a party and their skills, tough turn-based-fights where you have to find the appropiate strategy and not just click as fast as you can, an understandable story and user-friendly handling. I donīt care whether I have to conquer or save the world as long as it gives me a thrill. In a nutshell I think the old-fashioned type of RPG.
Old 06-06-2001, 01:34 PM   #4
BLKCat
The Magister

Hi Rene! I would recommend Planescape Torment if you like story-driven RPGs. And seriously, don't give up on the BG series. I completely dislike real-time combat also! Once you get used to using the space bar in BG, and you have your pause options set correctly, it really is turn based. Torment is the best RPG I have played in years, hmmm... maybe ever as far as storyline goes. I was able to play the whole game without fighting many battles. You have the option to solve dilemma in other ways, and still get the experience!

Good luck to you!

BLKCat, wishing for Torment 2

------------------
...Events are cowards: they don't occur singly, but instead they run in packs and leap out at you all at once.
(Excerpt from "Neverwhere", by Neil Gaiman)
BLKCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 03:56 PM   #5
Ronnie James Dio
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Have you tried the realms of arkania series? There's three in all: Blades of Destiny, Star Trail, and Shadows over Riva. Shadows over Riva is the newest one, released in 97 i believe. So they aren't new releases, but they are olde style, based on an rpg system from Germany. I still like them to this day
I mean, I love this series! Lots of humor in Shadows over Riva. They were suppose to make a new one to the Realms of Arkania... but have yet to see any sign of it

Another turn based one is Septerra Core. Its has an anime look to it and has puzzles galore, kinda like Wizards and Warriors, but Wizards is a bit more complex. Actually, the puzzles in Septerra are like ones you would find in Zork, like what goes with what, and the question allways asking is, "What do i do now?"

Ronnie James Dio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 08:33 PM   #6
Ladybug
Dungeon Master

Congratulations on finishing W&W! Perhaps you should play it again. How about a solo character? Or maybe you'd enjoy resetting adventures and playing with your Zenmaster and Valkyrie? Then you could keep posting on this forum, and you could tell us about all the new and exciting things you are doing on your 2nd play thru.

Ladybug
Ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 09:18 PM   #7
Rolp
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Congrats!! Or maybe you could hang around here and help the less fortunate?
Rolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 02:17 AM   #8
Rene
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey, Ronnie, they have just created a new game. In Germany it is called "Gothic" and has just been released. Donīt know if or when it is available in the States. Of course I played all three of the "Schwarze Auge"-series as it is called in German. To be honest I played them at least two times. "Shadows over Riva" is still a fine game with a dense storyline, but the fighting-system is outdated.